Dvd+R or Dvd-R

Alright so I searched around and haven’t really been able to find a definite answer that doesn’t confuse the crap out of me.

What type of media should I use to back up my movies? I have always used Dvd+R and they seem to have always worked fine. I have a friend who uses -R and has been unable to play any of the movies he has backed up on his Xbox360 yet he can play the movies I backup.

Is there really a difference and if so what is it? And please dont give me all that crap about how one is supported by the DVD Alliance and the other is supported by the DVD Forum as I have already read all of that.

I have a friend who uses -R and has been unable to play any of the movies he has backed up on his Xbox360 yet he can play the movies I backup.

Well I guess he should do whatever you do.

…I have always used Dvd+R and they seem to have always worked fine. I have a friend who uses -R and has been unable to play any of the movies he has backed up on his Xbox360 yet he can play the movies I backup…

So what’s the question? What really matters is the quality of the media. Most folks here will recommend Verbatim or TY.

So as long as it plays just keep using it? I guess what I was really wondering is if there was a difference in the quality or in the longevity of the media on the disc but I guess that could also be covered under the quality of the disc itself.

My comments on -R Vs +R always sticks to the technical

And presuming that the media of either is of equal quality the +R
are more tolerant of damage (slight scratches)

as for “age” deterioration that is a matter of storage conditions and deterioration of the dye which is the same in both types of discs.

Just like with RW discs gradually "erasing themselves"
because the metal alloy will gradually change from the
amorphous state back to the crystalline state resulting
in a loss of data.

And while some manufacturers claim centuries for +/- media and up to 25years for RW media it is fairly obvious that neither has been around that long and their estimations may be pure BS.

There is no difference in price between the two types +/- media
but the ADIP and larger pits of the +R make them both a bit more readable and a bit faster for many drives to read as data discs.

Not a huge difference, but…

Frankly if you know one thing works for you and another one doesn’t the choice
is really a “no brainer”

AD

your best bet to use the format that your player/recorder uses, eg my dvd standalone only uses dvd-r so i only use them.