DVD+R (or DVD-R) vs BD-R LTH for archival

vbimport

I was under the impression that DVD+R (or DVD-R) media were more suitable for archival than BD-R LTH media. Both from the same manufacturer (Verbatim) if it matters. Is this correct?

In theory, sure.

In practice, people have had issues with LTH BD-R (from any manufacturer) being written as well as an HTL BD-R or a DVD±R. That, combined with the data density, means it’s easier for an LTH BD-R to go bad & cause issues compared to DVD±R.

Plus, we have had DVD media long enough to know that you’ll get at least 10 years out of it without issue. (You could even round up to 15 years, and good media will still work just as well as day 1 when properly stored). We haven’t had BD media that long, so the track record is less proven.

But the overall disappointment that comes with use of LTH media means it just isn’t worth it when other options are available. And yes, this includes Verbatim media. If you recall, Verbatim’s DVD media is a popular choice for backups/archival. That hasn’t changed. But they couldn’t parlay that quality into good LTH media (especially when drives seemed to have trouble burning it correctly). So, while the last BD drives have been OK at burning it…it might not be worth it, unless you can commit to checking them even more often than you would DVD media or HTL BD media.

Well, help me a bit here, considering the prices of Verbatim LTH media compared to good HTL media (like CMC made Vermatims or even “original” VERBATIMe Verbatim BD-Rs) aren’t that much different anymore, so what’s the point of buying LTH media nowadays?

And one point regarding Verbatim (single layer) DVD±R discs: I’m the one who had quite awful results (see posts #556-#562) with MCC 004 discs, so you (still) can have bad Verbatim discs, regardless if they’re DVD±R or BD-R.

Quality scan of one of the first DVD+R discs I burned back in 2005. Stored in a jewel case for the last 10+ years and saw little use. What do you think?

It’s fine. Looks like you just burned it.

Why do you ask?

I have many DVD+R and DVD-R discs recorded and stored. Most of them I never used them after burning. I used Verbatim, TY and Sony media. Should I start checking them one by one?

You probably should. We recommend you check your media regularly, and if it has been 6 to 10 years, it’s probably time to check them.

Ideally you want to keep some kind of record (database/spreadsheet etc) of burnt discs - when they were burned, what MID, what batch and so forth.

Then you can check a sample of each MID or each batch periodically instead of checking everything. If a MID is going ‘bad’ you will know pretty soon.

[QUOTE=elgario;2775226]Ideally you want to keep some kind of record (database/spreadsheet etc) of burnt discs - when they were burned, what MID, what batch and so forth.

Then you can check a sample of each MID or each batch periodically instead of checking everything. If a MID is going ‘bad’ you will know pretty soon.[/QUOTE]

That’s a sound plan. :iagree:

My recommendation to check all discs (since they’ve never been checked) is a bit extreme with large amounts of discs. This sounds much more manageable.

I have started checking samples of the first discs I burned but so far I did not find any problems.