DVD-R not compatible?

vbimport

I am burning movies but when I try using DVD-R discs it says incompatible, media not recognised. When I use DVD-RW they work fine

I have tried with Nero and also ConvertXtoDVD

Can someone help me or is this just a female thing

The burning software says that DVD-R is ok to use but just does not work, only DVD-RW and these are more expensive

I have windowsXP

Pretty new to the process but as I say I can get it to work fine if I use the DVD-RW discs

Any hlep would be aprreciated
Many thanks
Susie

Hey Susie, welcome to the forums.

It might help to know which dvd burner you are using, and the exact disks you are trying to burn.

Nero has a tool called NeroInfo Tool. It comes with the complete Nero burning suite, but if you don’t have it already, you can download it here for free: http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html

Run it with one of the blank dvds installed in your drive. On the main page it will tell us what drive you have and what disks are appropriate for your burner. You can also hit the Disc tab, and it will tell us the exact media code for those blank dvds.

If you know how to take screenshots, post them here by using the Go Advanced button at the bottom of this page and Manage Attachments. Or you can just give us a rundown on the drive model at the top of the first page of Nero Info Tool, and the Manufacturer ID on the disc tab.

Thank you so much…I tried uploading a screenshot but said it was too large for the forum…So I took out some of the info and I am hoping this is what you need:

I thank you so much

InfoTool.txt (84.3 KB)

Sorry…Don’t think I sent all you asked for

from disc tab
Manufacturer Id: MBI 01RG40

Alright, you have an NEC 6500a dvd burner, which is certainly new enough to handle either +R or -R disks. You didn’t show the manufacturer ID on the blank disk, but we’ll assume it isn’t very good media and go from there.

Since your burner works fine for RW disks, it sounds like there is no problem in the software or the DMA status of your drive.

Does Nero recognize the fact that you have loaded a blank disk into the drive? Or does it simply say to insert a blank disk?
If it does see them, can you burn anything, or is it simply screwing up the burn somehow? Have you tried burning at 8x rather than something faster?

One possible step to take is to get known good media (blank disks). I recommend Verbatim 16x blank dvds, and try to burn them at either 8x or 12x rather than full speed.

Edit: Thanks for the additional info. Some people have had poor luck with MBI disks, but it isn’t universal. I still think going to Verbatim might help.

I was actually trying with Verbatim discs initially…then phillips…so I went for the cheaper ones also. None worked

I cannot burn anything with any DVD-R discs I have tried. Nero says after I press the burn tab

Illegal disc

1:26:39 PM #22 TRANSFER -27 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1765
Could not perform start of Disc-at-once

1:26:39 PM #23 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)

I must be missing something but as I am not that great with this puter stuff I don’t know what to do. I am sorry, I wish I could be of more help for you to be able to help me.

I so appreciate your kind support. Maybe should I just have to use the DVD-RW? More expensive but if they work…

Thanks you so much

2.4x is much too slow for most modern media. But I think the problem is that the drive is not recognizing the disks.

You can update the firmware of the drive, but as a novice computer user, I’m not sure if you want to do this.
Here is the page that has the firmware download for your drive: http://support.necam.com/Optical/downloads/FlashFirmware/dl.asp

The previous page shows instructions: http://support.necam.com/Optical/downloads/FlashFirmware/readme.asp?ID=10

Updating the firmware will help the drive recognize newer media.

Just a thought…have you tried burning anything with another program?

Try ImgBurn: www.imgburn.com It is free to use.

There are instructions on burning data and dvd video at the imgburn forums: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4

thank you.I downloaded the firmware but when I tried to run it I get
that the Target is not found correctly.

is there anything else I can do to get the drive to recognise the discs?

Thanks a lot for all your help

I am going to try a different burning program…imgburn…Will let you know if it works

just one more bit of info…this is a notebook right? Is it a Dell or HP, or another of the big manufacturers? If so, you might look for firmware for the drive at their site, instead of straight from NEC.

I have tried imgburn…but did not work…

succesfully burned with nero using DVD-RW but not DVD-R

Oh well…thank you for your time.I do appreciate it…
Susie

It is a Dell Laptop…Will go to their site look for firmware
Thanks

I see your getting help,but can I add it seems you have a dell laptop could you tell us which model you have so the correct firmware link can be given. You currently have the 202c firmware there is a good chance that a newer version is possible. The 2.24 firmware is for retail and some other oem laptops, such as HP/ Compaq, ect. not Dell.

Thank you
I have Inspiron 9200

I did go to dell and downloaded 203 firmware. I am in the process of trying to burn now and see what happens with the firmware updated
I thank you for your help
Susie

IT WORKED!

A Big Thank you to you guys. I updated the firmware and have since burned 2 movies using DVD-R discs without problems

Thank you so much. You guys are the Best!!!

Susie