DVD+R - newbie questions, please!

vbimport

Hi!

Im a completelly newbie as far as DVD+R technology is concerned, as I have never used a +R before. So, i REALLY apologize for such stupid newbie dumb questions, but i got myself a spindle of Sony 16x +R for the lack of decent -R media where I live, and i got myself a few questions i would appreciate if anyone could please answer:

1- I know +R are more advanced technically than -R, but do I still need to do that bitsetting thing when burning DVD movies backups? Why is this bittseting thing done for?

2- Anyone here has a Nintendo Wii and could please tell me if +R are compatible with it (for backups of original owned games, of course)? Do +R stress the drive harder than -R??

3- As i said, i have never burned a +R before (yeah, i know. Im a virgin), so, can i just use them exaclty the same way i used my hundreds of -R before, or do i need to take any procedure (like the bitsetting thing) for some usages, or even worse, some usages are not suited for a +R??

I would really appreciate if any kindred spirit with time to spare could enlighten me a bit here!

THanks!!

What optical drive or drives are we talking about here. If your drive supports it, Dvd+R should be booktyped to Dvd-Rom, because that is the profile of a commercial Dvd, but that doesn’t mean that if it is burned to Dvd+R that it won’t play. Nowadays there is practically no other differences between Dvd+R & Dvd-R.

[QUOTE=mabhz;2139754
2- Anyone here has a Nintendo Wii and could please tell me if +R are compatible with it (for backups of original owned games, of course)? Do +R stress the drive harder than -R??[/QUOTE]

I use Verbatim MCC004 +R’s for the Wii (bitset to ROM)and they work perfectly, can’t say I’ve tried any other brands though.

It would be helpful if you told us which optical drive(s) you have. Some drives auto-bitset by default, others do it with custom firmware. Bitsetting has use where a reader expects a DVD-ROM but can otherwise read a DVD+R, bitsetting refers to the practice of changing the DVD+Rs booktype to DVD ROM. In the real world it makes the difference only in a small number of devices, though most CDFreaks ensure it’s done by default.

Other than that, you can burn a DVD+R in the same way as a DVD-R

Oh my God, my sincere apology for such a stupid mistake! While i was writing the post i remembered to name my burner at the end, but when i finished, i completely forgot!!

I have two burners:

[B]- Pioneer DVR-112D Firmware 1.22

• LG 4163B[/B]

[B]beef barley,[/B] thanks for you reply!
You mention that if my burners supports (can you tell me if they do??), “DVD+R should be be booktyped to Dvd-Rom”. Booktypying is the same as bitsetting? And shouldnt it be to DVD-R instead of -Rom??

[B]jubjubbird[/B], thanks for the reply also!
You also mention bitsetting to ROM for Wii bkps. I have to check ImgBurn to see if i can do that with my burner and with ImgBurn! But if you dont mind me asking, why exactly do i need to do that with DVD+R and NOT with DVD-R, that are suposedly inferior techincally to +R???

Another question: i have the chance of purchasing 50 Verbatim DVD-R or DVD+R, mostly for Wii and movies usage, so, which one would you choos? Same price for both! Any real advantage for the +R???

[B]SeanW[/B], thank you VERY much for your explanation! Im sure it has been said here many times before, but yet you had the patience to say it again. I appreciate it!!

You mention that if my burners supports (can you tell me if they do??), “DVD+R should be be booktyped to Dvd-Rom”. Booktypying is the same as bitsetting? And shouldnt it be to DVD-R instead of -Rom??

Booktype/Bitsetting is for Dvd+R to Dvd-Rom. Don’t quote me on this, but I don’t think either of your drives does, without help. Although I seem to remeber being able to do it for each burn with my old 4163B, (long time ago), it just wasn’t automatic. If I was doing what you want to do, I would probably go with Dvd+R. Two Sub-Forums for you to check out.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/

Maybe another useful link.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=74791

You can enable bitsetting on the Pioneer 112D, but you will need to flash with a modified firmware. Have a look in the MCSE thread in the Pioneer sub forum.

I’m not saying that -R’s would not work in the Wii, but I would go for the +R’s as the quality (that I’ve found anyway) seems to be a little higher that the -R variants. Depending on your location, (USA/Europe etc) will give different manufacturers of the Verbatim discs, If you are purchasing in person in a retail store, you should (In my opinion) look on the packaging for Made In Taiwan as a first choice, over a Made In India disc, and last choice should be a Made In China Verbatim Disc

my wii loves dvd+r never had any probs but i did when i used dvd-r thou all my dvd+r are bitset to dvd rom