DVD-R MCC 02RG20 or 03RG20 or Ritek G05

In India, or at least here in Pune, three of the cheapest DVD-R brands are

Akari (MCC 02RG20)
National (MCC 03RG20)
Arita (Ritek G05)

Which would work best with Sony DRU 190A (LiteOn 20A3P) and LG GSA-H60L

Any help is appreciated because I need to buy these in bulk.

Thanks

Amol

Hi,

I assume, you want disposable media that destroy themselves after a short time?

Akari and National are probably fake MCC, and Ritek G05 is known for degrading very fast.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Michael

Two fake media and a Ritek G05.

None of the above. Buying in bulk will be a disaster for you. You’ll have mountains of shit discs.

[QUOTE=amolpatil2k;2075066]In India, or at least here in Pune, three of the cheapest DVD-R brands are
Akari (MCC 02RG20)
National (MCC 03RG20)
Arita (Ritek G05)
Any help is appreciated because I need to buy these in bulk.
Thanks
Amol[/QUOTE]

Hi Amol,
do not buy these media. You will waste your money at the end of the day.
I would rather pay a little bit more for a much more better media (Verbatim, local MBI brands, etc.) than buy these cheap crap. :wink:

Dont buy any of these, RitekG05 is known to degrade very fast and the other to brands are cheap fake MCC media for sure.

Like others have mentioned, Ritek G05 is disposable media (great just after burning, 50% coasters after several weeks), but not only that, Arita is one of the worst Ritek brands, selling C-grade and rejects!

Always true. :iagree:
But sometimes you find great deals on non-cheap media. :cool:

As pepst said, look for Verbatim for peace of mind, or local Moser Baer brands for price-quality ratio on (somewhat) cheap media. Also HP (Hewlett-Packard) discs are rather inexpensive here (compared to Verbatim, Sony, Fuji etc…), and the 16X -R (CMC MAG AM3) are very decent media. Maybe they are available in you area and also affordable? Just a thought, don’t shoot me if HP is as expensive as Verbatim where you live… :slight_smile:

We have a nice CDFreak fellow living in India, Bhairav, you can drop him a PM to ask him to join the thread, he can certainly provide useful info about local Moser Baer brands.

Hello, what is happenning?

A few months back, I has asked a question about DVD writer and SATA controllers and got some responses but the response to this question has been awesome. Thanks a lot mciahel, cd pirate, pepst, Womi and Francksoy.

I get the picture now. Avoid Ritek like the plague while Akari and National are fake MCC. Thanks guys.

Interestingly, the latest issue of CHIP India http://www.chip.in/inthemagazine.php?id=21 (page 110) has carried an comparitive review of 28 (12/16) brands of blank CD/DVDs including Akari and National but not Arita. They were brutal on National and HP while being extra kind on Melody (with Optodisc media).

Brand Performance(100) Quality(100) Price (INR) Value for Money(5)
Akari [49] [77] [8] [4.5]
National [6] [0] [8] [2.0]
Melody [73] [93] [10] [5.0]
Sony [99] [90] [14] [4.5]
HP [10] [15] [15] [1.5]
Moser Baer [30] [64] [15] [2.0]

@Francksoy - Please no help requests by PM, thanks (Would Bhairav be feeling the same way)

[QUOTE=amolpatil2k;2075649]Avoid Ritek like the plague[/quote]Not exactly :slight_smile: : avoid 8X -R Ritek like the plague, and avoid Ritek under Infamous brands like Arita, Rimedia, Xtrade, Mediarange, whatever… or unbranded Ritek discs.
16X Riteks while not great are decent discs, but under reputable Ritek brands like Traxdata or Ridata.

@Francksoy - Please no help requests by PM, thanks (Would Bhairav be feeling the same way)
It’s not the same to ask answers by PM (“tell me what I need through PM” :rolleyes:) or to ask someone, through PM, to join a thread. :wink:

Why would someone living in India not be able to get hold of cheap 16x Moser Baer media or genuine MII Verbs?

MBI 03RG40
MBIPG101 R05
MCC 03RG20 (MII)
MCC 004 (MII)

You shouldn’t consider anything else.

[quote=amolpatil2k;2075649]

Interestingly, the latest issue of CHIP India (…) has carried an comparitive review [/quote]
I wouldn’t trust any review issued by Chip.
I know Chip Germany, and their burner “tests” look like this:
“The faster a burner can burn a disc, the better its media compatibility”. So drives that slow down on certain media for quality reasons, get a malus.
And of course, the fastest burner is the winner :Z

Michael

I concur with the above views Fake MCC + Ritek G05 = rubbish quality.

You should look for some Moser Baer India (MBI) manufactured discs, as these are usually decent, but of course Verbs are the best and they make lots of them in India.

get Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R

nothing can Beat that !!

The OP may require DVD- (as opposed to DVD+), and he does require cost-effectiveness. So MBI dvds, or maybe MII Verbatims, should do for a good price:performance ratio.

@mciahel
"The faster a burner can burn a disc, the better its media compatibility"
That might be the reason so many people have given up on mags and taken to cdfreaks.

@negritude
Thanks for the advice, I’ll try and pin down those discs, wherever they are hiding. Actually, my criteria have changed from price to dye only recently, all thanks to cdfreaks.

@SeanW
Least favourite: MBI ******* ??

@achemen
In the CHIP review, the only DVD-R with Taiyo Yuden is Tech-com Performance(45/100) Quality(93/100) Price (INR 8) Value for Money(4.5/5)

[QUOTE=amolpatil2k;2076128]
@achemen
In the CHIP review, the only DVD-R with Taiyo Yuden is Tech-com Performance(45/100) Quality(93/100) Price (INR 8) Value for Money(4.5/5)[/QUOTE]

Most likely those Tech-com DVDs have faked MID code too. :sad:
The best thing you can do is try to find some Verbatims or MBI made DVDs.

[QUOTE=amolpatil2k;2076128]
@SeanW
Least favourite: MBI ******* ??[/QUOTE]That’s actually something of a mistake. I once lost a backup on an MBI DVD, but I later found that one of my DVD burners was getting flaky and began making coasters of my DVD+Rs. I need to remove that from my signature, as, in truth, MBI DVDs are probably a lot better than I have up until recently believed.

I would definately use an MBI DVD over any of your first choices (fake MCC, Ritek G05) any day.

But I have never used either fake MCCs or Ritek G05s so I didn’t put them in my sig. On the basis of all information available to me, I would reccomend MBI DVDs over your original choices.

But I would recommend MCC Verbatim over almost everything else, except some 8x Tayio Yudens. But you indicated that cost was as issue so there’s no point in hunting for those.

@pepst I agree with you, TY DVDs for 20 cents is enough to raise suspicion. The only thing is that how much can you discount CHIP test center findings. After all, they sure know a good scan when they see one. Sadly Verbs are notoriously rare in Pune. I have seen a few in jewel cases but then those are out of budget. That reminds me - why are DVD-RAMs so rare.

@SeanW You had me there for a moment. Besides there are so many variables, only very few of the top cdfreakers can make sense of these things. I just want good and hopefully reasonably priced media which can hold its data till BluRay becomes cheap enough so that we start worrying about whether those will hold their data.

[QUOTE=amolpatil2k;2076776]@pepst I agree with you, TY DVDs for 20 cents is enough to raise suspicion. The only thing is that how much can you discount CHIP test center findings. After all, they sure know a good scan when they see one. [/QUOTE]
Even the scans of RitekG05 or VDSPMSAB media initially can be great. But after a weeks weeks… they are barely readable.

That reminds me - why are DVD-RAMs so rare.

Because they are much more expensive to manufacture than -+R media and because there is a small demand for them.

[QUOTE=pepst;2076809]Even the scans of RitekG05 or VDSPMSAB media initially can be great. But after a weeks weeks… they are barely readable. [/QUOTE]:iagree: I was about to input something similar. :iagree:

People put far too much trust in homemade PIE/PIF scans. I’m starting to be more and more annoyed by this. :sigh:

Once again: initial PI/PIF scans are NOT an indication of media quality as a whole.
A good PI/PIF scans just tells you that the quality of the tested burn is good (assuming all variables, like the consistency and trustability of the scanner, are thoroughly controlled, which is often, sadly, not even the case!).
A PIE/PIF scan is only one test, though media quality depends on a DOZEN of characteristics at least (assymetry, jitter, PIE/PIF/POF when burnt properly, reflectivity, tilt, track precision, climatic stability, bonding, resistance to scuff…)

[B]Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 –
Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 –
Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 –
Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 –
[SIZE=“4”]Remember Ritek G05
Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 –
Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 –
Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 –
Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 – Remember Ritek G05 –
[/B][/SIZE]

This trust in a homemade PIE/PIF scan to judge of media quality is just another of these oversimplifying methods found in popular (Internet) culture. Scanning is popular, fun, somewhat useful when used properly by people who actually understand what they’re doing, but it’s a totally unsound way of judging of media quality unless multiples cross-cheks are performed. And it’s a 100% foolish way of judging media quality when no cross-checks are performed at all, which I see quite often.

As it’s an easy, fast and cheap thing to do to scan a disc in end-user drive, lots of reviewers don’t go any further than that, they don’t even include a transfer rate test, which is sometimes plain laughable. :rolleyes:

Why would media manufacturers buy expensive testing equipement if a mere homemade PIE/PIF scan of a single burn in some end-user drive could tell if the media is good? :bigsmile: That’s really not serious, is it? :stuck_out_tongue:

when u can find Geniune Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8x in india

wonder why the OP wants to go for other media :Z