DVD+R hard to read in standalone players

Hello,
I made a few backups of original DVD movies on DVD+R. The disks are working well in computers, as well as with standalone players. However, after a few months, the disks stop working well in standalone players. With a computer, I can read the entire disk and copy it to a new DVD+R. In the case of bad disks, reading problems unfortunately start after half an hour of reading, not yet at the beginning. This complicates a lot the testing process.

The problem: audio starts to skip, and video shows pixels. The problem never stops to worsen, until the player completely freezes. It seems that the DVD player has an hard time reading the disk, and does not receive enough data to display the movie.
A possible workaround is to eject the disk, and put it back. After I seek back at the position the problem started, it often plays well to the end of the movie! But for other disks or on another player, it simply starts struggling again, and there is no way out; I have to remake a new copy of the disk.

The problem happened with both branded (Sony, Panasonic) and el cheapo DVD players.
I am using Sony and Verbatim DVD+R disks.
My burner is a LG [HL-DT-
ST][DVDRAM GSA-4167B][DL11].

I used DVDShrink to make the backups, and Nero burning ROM to write the disks. But I am planning to migrate to a completely Linux solution because Windows Vista, which I tried to migrate to, sucks, and I don’t have time to reinstall the bulky Windows XP which installs spyware behind the scenes all the times and thus becomes slower and slower with time. I would use dvd95 for backup, and k3b for burning.
But I expect this to have a very little impact, because the video structure of the disk IS readable at the beginning. The problem appears to be disk or writer-related. But I cannot find any solutions, other than trying with many brands of disks, and maybe even with many writers! This promises to be long, annoying and very frustrating. I am seriously considering the possibility of buying myself several copies of the original DVDs rather than going into this trial and error.
So before applying that extreme solution, I am trying to ask for some help.

1. Which type of DVD should I use? DVD-R or DVD+R? Note that all the players on which I tested the disks support DVD+R!
  2. What brand of disks should I use?
  3. Can the writing software have a major impact? For example, do some programs write incorrect ISO images without the appropriate error detection codes?

I have made a test using two recorded disks: one from a friend which still works, and a second one from mine which does not work well anymore. The disk reads, but suffers from the above problem. If I scan my friend’s disk using the Linux dvd+rw-mediainfo tool, I get the following output:
INQUIRY: [HL-DT-ST][DVDRAM GSA-4167B][DL11]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
Mounted Media: 10h, DVD-ROM
Media ID: TYG02
Current Write Speed: 8.0x1385=11080KB/s
Write Speed #0: 8.0x1385=11080KB/s
Write Speed #1: 4.0x1385=5540KB/s
Speed Descriptor#0: 02/2285999 R@4.1x1385=5730KB/s W@8.0x1385=11080KB/s
Speed Descriptor#1: 02/2285999 R@4.1x1385=5730KB/s W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
Media Book Type: 00h, DVD-ROM book [revision 0]
Legacy lead-out at: 22860002KB=4681728000
READ DISC INFORMATION:
Disc status: complete
Number of Sessions: 1
State of Last Session: complete
Number of Tracks: 1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
Track State: complete incremental
Track Start Address: 0
2KB
Free Blocks: 02KB
Track Size: 2286000
2KB
Last Recorded Address: 2285999*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
Track#1 : 14@0
Track#AA : 14@2286000
Multi-session Info: #1@0
READ CAPACITY:

It appers from the mounted media field that this is a DVD-ROM, but the disk’s surface is not silver like a true DVD-ROM; it seems a recorded DVD!

Now, let’s see what happens with my disk.
INQUIRY: [HL-DT-ST][DVDRAM GSA-4167B][DL11]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
Mounted Media: 1Bh, DVD+R
Current Write Speed: 4.0x1385=5540KB/s
Write Speed #0: 4.0x1385=5540KB/s
Write Speed #1: 2.4x1385=3324KB/s
Speed Descriptor#0: 02/2286127 R@4.1x1385=5730KB/s W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
Speed Descriptor#1: 02/2286127 R@4.1x1385=5730KB/s W@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
Media Book Type: 00h, DVD-ROM book [revision 0]
Media ID: RICOHJPN/R01
Legacy lead-out at: 22861282KB=4681990144
READ DISC INFORMATION:
Disc status: complete
Number of Sessions: 1
State of Last Session: complete
Number of Tracks: 1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
Track State: partial/complete
Track Start Address: 0
2KB
Free Blocks: 02KB
Track Size: 2286128
2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
Track#1 : 14@0
Track#AA : 14@2286128
Multi-session Info: #1@0
READ CAPACITY: 2286128*2048=4681990144

Now, according to the mounted media field, I have a DVD+R, but the book type field of the disk is DVD-ROM.

The questions are the following.

1. How could I make my DVDs appear as DVD-ROMs?
  2. Or may it be better to set the book type to DVD+R for the player to KNOW that this a DVD+R, and apply appropriate reading strategies.

I tried to change the book type of a DVD+RW using dvd+rw-booktype, under Linux, without success. The program simply complains that the book type cannot be changed. This may be my writer which does not support this. A firmware upgrade may help, but I cannot find any LG firmware around.
So, in addition to changing my disk brand, would I have also to replace the writer?

Your friend set the booktype to -ROM, which is what you should do.

Hi and Welcome![quote=EricBuist;2060641]A firmware upgrade may help, but I cannot find any LG firmware around.[/quote]Of course there is. Start here: http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp Latest official firmware is DL13, which is highly recommended.

So, in addition to changing my disk brand, would I have also to replace the writer?
Not necessarily. The 4167 is a good drive, so there is no need to replace it.
Your playback issues might be related to media and possibly your DVD mastering process.
The drive supports bitsetting, but at the moment I am not sure if it does this automagically or if software support is required. You might have a look into the FAQ of our LG DVD burner forum, please.

Michael

Ok, the firmware is upgraded, now. I have DL13. But if I try to change the book type of a DVD+RW, using dvd+rw-booktype, I get the same error message telling me that booktyping is not supported on DVD+RW.
In the output of dvd+rw-mediainfo, it seems that the book type is correctly set to DVD-ROM, but the mounted media is reported to be DVD+R.

Hi,[quote=EricBuist;2060808] But if I try to change the book type of a DVD+RW, using dvd+rw-booktype, I get the same error message telling me that booktyping is not supported on DVD+RW.[/quote]Seems, as you haven’t followed my advice to read the [U][B]FAQ[/B][/U]:wink:

LG writers in general do not allow book typing/bit setting for DVD+RW media, however, but this is fairly common among DVD writers at the moment.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1648696-post30.html

Michael

Hello,
If I write to a DVD-R instead of a DVD+R, I get the DVD-ROM disk type with dvd+rw-mediainfo as with my friend’s DVD. The DVD-R works for now in my standalone player, but this does not tell me if it will continue to work in a few months. It may fail exactly like my DVD+R’s.

Media failing a few months down th road has nothing to do with bitsetting. It’s an indication of poor media quality. You need experiment & find good media that your burner AND your standalone players like.

I’ve been making backups with linux box for a few years now, and have no problems. I use a liteon dvd drive and use Ritek +R media, burned at 2.4x, regardless of the maximum speed. On my setup, I find that I get better burns in real-world personal tests.

Hi,[quote=EricBuist;2069105]
If I write to a DVD-R instead of a DVD+R, I get the DVD-ROM disk type with dvd+rw-mediainfo as with my friend’s DVD.[/quote]Then this piece of software you are using, is wrong. There is no such thing like booktyping with -R media.

The DVD-R works for now in my standalone player, but this does not tell me if it will continue to work in a few months. It may fail exactly like my DVD+R’s.
In that case, you just bought poor quality media.

Michael