DVD+R & DVD-R for archiving -- Any difference?

vbimport

I know (from searching and reading posts here) that it doesn’t really matter anymore whether you use DVD+R or DVD-R. However, would one be better than the other for archiving? Anotherwords, is one more dependable than the other? I’ve seen mentioned that DVD+R possibly has better error-correction than DVD-R. But then I’ve seen it stated that DVD+R does NOT have this?:confused:

The media you use is going to be much more important for longevity. How well the dye resists fading is going to be one of the most important factors. Also, as the disk deteriorates (all disks will in one way or another, it’s just a question of how long), a good burn is going to be more forgiving than a burn that was already marginal. If you are looking for something for archiving, make sure you use very high quality media that your burner likes. I personally havent heard anything significant about + or - being beter but I could be wrong about that.

Yo-

“Crap Media = Crap Burns - Good Media = Good Burns”

Buying good media like Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Verbatim or Maxell will not only give you good burns - but will also give you a good long life-

Search the forums with your listed burner to see what others have found to be the best media for your burner-

Mike

ripit, either way it will be Taiyo Yuden media.(8x)

I read a couple of posts where the user recommended -R for movies and +R for data. I don’t know why, so that’s why I thought I’d ask if there was a difference.

Thanks for your help ripit.

EDIT: bigmike7, you must’ve posted right before I posted. Like I said above, it will be Taiyo Yuden 8x media.

I have seen conflicting discussions reguarding + or - for movies or data. One thing though, if you use +r for movies, make sure you bitset. - r used to be more compatible for movies (with standalone players) but since bitsetting became avalable, +r is more compatible if you bitset. Both formats are good and ty should last plenty long.

Seems any info. regarding “+” or “-” is conflicting.LOL

You’re right tho… bitsetting is a must.