DVD-R DL tests

Disc Info:

Burning at 6x:

BenQ scan:

BTC Scan:

Compatibility is not so good at the moment. Only 4 out of 13 drives I tested were able to read the disc.

I can see there is a booktype of DVD-R, is it possible to make it DVD-ROM to increase its compatibility?

Not possible for -Rs, only +Rs.

Erik, thanks for the scans, and wow you’re wasting a DL disk!
Few questions:

• in the create data disk, why does it says “Speed: 1 X CLV (5.92 X average)”.
  • do you think its the media problem or 716a 1.06 is not yet good for this media?
  • Other burners work well with MKM 01RD30?

I thought for a second that you enabled Quality Scan support for 716a . :sad:

thanks for the scans Erik.

More tests at cdrlabs:
Plextor 716 DVD-R DL burn
Pioneer A09 DVD-R DL burn

interesting that -R DL @ 6X is slower than +R DL. wonder why that is…if it’s a technical thing or something i mean (lead in, lead out, etc.).

Who knows it definitely looks like more work is needed before they will be okay. Thankfully I bought a 109. :wink:

the -R DL scans from the A09XL and the PX716 are virtually identical. isn’t the 109 the same drive as the A09? :confused:

YSS has put up some initial tests with MKM01RD30 using the PX-716UF burner and several different burning softwares, with playback testing on many different DVD players including standalones and PC drives. Here is the info.

For those that can’t read any Japanese, his standalone Pioneer DVD player could not play past the layer break no matter what software was used to author/create the disc. Playback on a first generation PS2 was fine in all instances except the disc burned with B’s Recorder GOLD 8.11. Most of his PC DVD±RW drives could play the discs back.

I’ll probably waste another disc when my Pioneer A09 arrives :wink:
I still have two discs left.

• in the create data disk, why does it says “Speed: 1 X CLV (5.92 X average)”.

The option ‘show minimum/maximum’ was enabled so 1x is the lowest speed from the test.

• do you think its the media problem or 716a 1.06 is not yet good for this media?

I don’t think the results are that bad considering it’s only 4x media.

• Other burners work well with MKM 01RD30?

Haven’t tried yet.

I thought for a second that you enabled Quality Scan support for 716a . :sad:

No, unfortunately not. It would be very easy to add support for Plextor drives but Plextor prefers to have this function with PlexTools only.

ohhh reeaaaallly :eek:

hmm, i feel a PM coming from zevia and drpino to Erik Deppe :iagree::wink:

Is that possible Erik? :bow: [I don’t think so, right?]

WoW, early stage for -R DL and burnt at 6X already with decent burning quality? Thats a good start for -R DL

I have a version which supports Plextor drives but I cannot release it.

It’s a pity really. The Q-Check function of PlexTools is very nice but it does have some limitations. Adding the ability to show PIs and PIFs simultaneously and adding a speed selector would make it a lot better IMO :slight_smile:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

ditto

Verbatim DVD-R DL seems to be available at guenstig-brennen.de now (unless they’re lying about their stock info). Not cheap though, €8.90 each (compared to €5.90 for the Verbatim DVD+R DL).

That kind of pricing is not going to help sway people over to choose DVD-R DL. :stuck_out_tongue: