DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL, Which one?

I have the Plextor PX-716A. I need some dual layer media that will be the most compatible with top set DVD players. I’m not sure if I should buy some DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL and which brand I should get. It seems most people like Verbatim and some like Ritek. In the past I’ve always used DVD-R single layer media but now I have to choose which format for Dual Layer. I know you can change the book type for compatibility with some players.

DVD+R DL made by Verbatim, and be sure to set the booktype to DVD-ROM.

DVD-DL is too new a format and from reviews, quite a few DVD players will not play DVD-DL discs at all. Stick with DVD+DL.

Ritek double layer discs do not burn properly on many burners. In quite a few cases, the end result is a coaster. They are about the worst you can get for double layered discs.

So I’d say Verbatim DVD+DL too.

Neither of them have a great compatibility rating.

There are many people, including myself, that have had nothing but success with Verbatim +R DL

Another vote for Mitsubishi/Verbatim DVD+R DL.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

DVD-R DL will not likely work in many standalones, it’s better to use it for data.

DVD+R DL is the better choice yet, because in most cases it’s booktyped to DVD-ROM.
Make sure you are choosing VERBATIM DL only. :wink:

Thanks guys, this helps tons!!

I just read that someone said Verbatim is made by Ritek lately. When I look on Ebay it seems that Verbatim DVD+R DL is the most popular and somewhat afforable as compared to other media including Ritek.

Ah, no.
There were reports that -R SL was moving to Ritek but not the +R DL media. Every piece I’ve seen was made in Singapore by MCC. The Ritek +R DL media (Memorex and many others) is mostly crap although select persons and hardware have made it work just fine.

-Evan-