DVD+R DL loads but won't play

[qanda]This thread is about the Philips DVDR3545V DVD recorder/VCR. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have tried to play a Verbatim DVD+R DL on my Philips DVDR3545. The DVD was made from files (torrented). The DVD was written by Nero 6. The original movie was NTSC as is the DVD player.

The opening menu opens without problem. However, when “play” is selected, the player just runs through the chapters (without playing the movie) according to the player’s display then goes back to the opening menu. I then tried to go into the chapter menu. Then nothing happens.

The manual does say it will play DVD+R DL. Verbatim blanks are recommended according to the manual. I had a hard time even burning Memorex DVD+R DLs.

This DVD+R DL will play on a Philips DVP642 without problem.

The reason I’d like to play it on the DVDR3545 rather than the DVP642 is that the former has HDMI output while the DVP642 only has component output.

Can anyone offer suggestions for solving this problem?

David

[QUOTE=doonesbury;2284859][qanda]The DVD was made from files (torrented).[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=doonesbury;2284859][qanda]The manual does say it will play DVD+R DL. Verbatim blanks are recommended according to the manual. I had a hard time even burning Memorex DVD+R DLs.[/QUOTE]

Mistakes you made right off … you shouldn’t burn dvd+r dl as dvd+r dl but as DVD-ROM and downloading . Torrent movies are not gurantee that they will play properly or convert correctly. The media is also suspect as well and since we don’t know your burn speed that would also affect burn as well. Also what is your exact Nero 6 version as well?? What kinda burner did you use to burn that torrent??

The DVD was written by Nero 6.

A bit too old for properly writing DL movies.

Although I like Nero (I use 7) for DL burning I only use ImgBurn (free).

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2284913]Mistakes you made right off … you shouldn’t burn dvd+r dl as dvd+r dl but as DVD-ROM and downloading . Torrent movies are not gurantee that they will play properly or convert correctly. The media is also suspect as well and since we don’t know your burn speed that would also affect burn as well. Also what is your exact Nero 6 version as well?? What kinda burner did you use to burn that torrent??[/QUOTE]

The burn speed was 2.4X.

What media do you recommend? I had very bad luck getting Memorex discs to work.

The exact Nero version is 6.6.1.4.

The burner is Pioneer DVR109.

Will my stand-alone DVD player recognize a DVD-ROM as a video disc? I always assumed not so I always burned as a DVD video.

The firmware in the DVD writer and Philips DVDR3545 were recently updated to the most recent versions.

David

Here’s an update as to getting this DVD to play:

Writing the DVD as a DVD-ROM did not work. The DVD didn’t even load in the stand-alone player.

However, when I wrote the DVD in the ImgBurn, it will play in the stand-alone DVD player. So, to the person who suggested it, thanks!

David

Just underlines my theory that Nero is still crap for burning “VideoDVD”…

You do know Nero is updated to 6.6.1.15a. I never used Nero 6 for DL burning movies I use Slysoft product for that feature. If you do use Nero 6 again you should check your preferrences to make sure they are set correctly as well. Since I have no idea of what movie torrent it is I never use torrent files to create DVDs. If you want to do that get the source and just backup the source DVD. I use Memorex DL as well but as before not for DVD burning in Nero 6.