Dvd-r capacity problem

vbimport

Hello,
As you can tell im a beginner on these forums and i have just purchased my plextor 716a about 4 days ago along with a 2x50pk of dvd-r 4x shown here
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=MED10077

Now this store shows that they can hold 4.7gb of space. Well when i went into plextools xl it shows that the disc is blank and has 4.38 gb free on it and is manufactured by Yi Jhan 001. Now my question is do all dvd’s act this way? Am i doing something wrong? Did the store goof up and write the wrong info?

Besides this problem i have another with dvd shrink.
I downloaded dvd shrink 3.2 and burned Life Aquatic with default settings.
Later i tried burning Seinfeld season 3 episodes 1-5 with shrink and encoutered errors about 76% through the encoding process. 2 errors with the same message. “The handle is invalid.”

Thank You for taking the time to read this

All DVDs act that way. Its the 1024MB=1GB and 1000MB=1GB difference. Same with HDD.
The capacity written 250GB on HDD or 4.7GB on DVDs is 1Gb = 1000MB

1KB = 1024 bytes
1MB = 1024 * 1024 = 1048576 bytes
1GB = 1024 * 1048576 = 1073741824 bytes
4.38GB = 4702989189 bytes

also
unbranded media is unlikely to work, maybe OK for short term storage

Depends on who actually makes the unbranded media. I agree that in that case, it is some cheap quality manufacturer.

well if 4.38gb is whatever millions of bytes then shouldnt 4.7 be even more bytes? How does 4.7 factor down to 4.38 … i understand if it was shown in bytes but how does it go down if it says 4.7 but is 4.3 … Once again im not sure if im right but im wondering.

Anyways do you have any thoughts on my other problem written about above?

""Besides this problem i have another with dvd shrink.
I downloaded dvd shrink 3.2 and burned Life Aquatic with default settings.
Later i tried burning Seinfeld season 3 episodes 1-5 with shrink and encoutered errors about 76% through the encoding process. 2 errors with the same message. “The handle is invalid.”
“”

I know i should start another topic but im just gonna continue this one.

Thanks

No, it has something to do with how the files are read by Windows. Hence the conversions listed above. So the disc does contain 4,700,000 bytes of data but as mentioned above, 4,700,000 bytes converts into 4.38GB. It’s all about marketing. Picture it like a car and rating speed in KMH versus MPH. 100 Kilometers per hour works out to being only about 65MPH.

i have another question… since my plextor 716a can burn to both sides could i put in a disc the wrong way… with the writing surface up would it burn?>

Any thoughts on this or my dvd shrink problem?

i have the exact problem from dvd shrink…

//Dvd Shrink has encountered an error and cannot continue.

Programming Error - exception occured.

The parameter is incorrect. \

this happens when im encoding the dvd from my pioneer dvd-120 dvdrom reader and i updated the f/w to 1.23 the newest there is. However when i encode on my plextor and burn on my plextor later by inserting a disc it works fine… Whats wrong with my pioneer?

Thanks a bunch

Are you talking about a disc that is double sided? (ie 4.7GB on each side of the disc)? Or are you talking about a printable disc? As for DVD Shrink, it could be that Sienfeld has one of the new copy protections out there that DVD Shrink doesn’t currently support. DVD Decrypter is more up to date for Decrypting. Try running it through DVD Decrypter first in file mode and then access the ripped file folder and run it through DVD Shrink.

Is your Pioneer the slot-loader? I know that the Pioneer slot loader DVD-ROMs and the Plextor DVD-ROMs had some compatibility issues with DVD Shrink.

im talking about the one side has a printed thing on it and the other is blank…

as for dvd shrink problem my plextor encoded it fine… but pioneer didnt…

Does dvd decrypter allow you to deselect parts such as in dvd shrink?
If i decrypt with dvd decrypter can i use shrink to burn it but without re-encoding it and using another 4gb room on my 70gb hdd?

Thanks a lot for all you responses

i have no idea what your talking about… all i have is a pioneer dvd-rom model dvd-120 with the newest firmware… its just a cd/dvd rom …
What is a slot loader?

Thanks

actually yea its a tray loader,… look at this link
http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/computer/dvd-romdrives/dvd120/

what is tray load?

A drive with a tray. Most drives are tray loaders.

i think i may have found a reason for this problem in dvd shrink… IT might be because my pioneer reads dualllayer but shrink cant handle my pioneer with read 2 layers… all other decrypters did it but my shrink cant… the 1st dvd i burned might not have been dual layer…

any ideas on what to do?

p.s. if the drive isnt trayload what is it? You stick a cd in the hole?

Probably the easiest way to understand this is to say that your DVD-R capacity really is 4.7GB (Giga Bytes) and that the quanity that Windows displays is actually a different unit of size altogther called GiB (pronounced Gibi Bytes and meaning Giga-binary Bytes).

Now one GiBi is equal to about 1.074 GB, so if you do the maths
(4.7/1.074) you find that 4.38 GiBi and 4.7GB are actually the same thing. The easiest way to think about it is that Windows incorrectly reports GiBi as being GB when they’re actually two different things.

thanks! much apreciated… any thoughts on my dvd shrink problem?

HEllo Madman,

You should definitly post your questions about Shrink in another section, you won’t get many answers here…

Good luck :slight_smile: