DVD+R can be rewritten?

Hi,
I have some maxell and phillips DVD+R discs.
They allow me rename files and folders.
And they both allow me to add more folders/files after ejecting and reloading.

My experience with CD+R is different.
With CD+R, I cannot rename files/folders or add more after ejecting.

It seems the DVD+R is acting more like DVD+RW ??
How can a DVD+R allow renaming of files/folders ?
thanks,
gordon

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Are you sure that you are using +R discs? File renaming is possible only using rewritable media and a proper packet writing software like InCD.

It is impossible that a +R can act like a rewritable medium :disagree:

geno888,
The correct answer (I recently found out) is that you CAN
add a new session to a DVD+R, and that successive reads
will access the new session. The old sessions are on the DVD,
but windows will not allow you to see them.
I am a little surprised that you did not know that.
gordon5y

geno888 is correct gordon5y

You can not RENAME a file on a +R disc only on a writable disc.

You are correct in that you can add more to a disc and yes it may look like you renamed them, but you did not RENAME them.

bean55,
I am surprised that you would say the following is a correct statement:
>It is impossible that a +R can act like a rewritable medium :disagree:

gordon5y

[QUOTE=bean55;2452787]geno888 is correct gordon5y

You can not RENAME a file on a +R disc only on a writable disc.

You are correct in that you can add more to a disc and yes it may look like you renamed them, but you did not RENAME them.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=gordon5y;2452804]bean55,
I am surprised that you would say the following is a correct statement:
>It is impossible that a +R can act like a rewritable medium :disagree:

gordon5y[/QUOTE]

As your statement says " ACT " is the key word , it is NOT writing as I stated earlier.

Multisession reading and writing is a method used for a disc. It adds sessions to already existing sessions.

It’s a method not so frequently used or advised, because it entirely depends on the system if you can read all the sessions or just the latest ones.

Every added session also adds another table of content, which can cause trouble or reduce free space on your disc faster than you might think.

Give the price of current discs, (1 euro per disc or lower) “it’s not just worth fussing about”. Just make single session discs containing 700 MB or 4.5GB of data. At least those can always be read in about every device these days.

It does not say anything about the kind of discs you use.

Writable compact (CD) or digital versatile discs (DVD) can be generally specified in two kinds: Single Writable (Also known as WORM or Write Once Read Many Times)

or

ReWriteable (Also known as RW. Can be erased at least 100 times).

In your case you might think the disc has renamed or overwritten files, but you are probably only reading the latest session.

A good way to test this is to make another session with a single file that has a name that’s not used in the previous sessions. If you, after writing, only this one file, you know it’s reading only the latest session.

If your software reading all the sessions of a disc at the same time, you should be able to see any file, including the new one file you just wrote. It sounds logical that the os should pick the latest version of any duplicate file. You can also test this by writing a 1-byte file with the same name as a file on a previous session.

gordon5y
You cannot rewrite writable only disc. You can add different sessions to it and rename your files in new sessions, but if you do this few times the disc will get full and you are done. No more writing to it, as Mr. Belvedere explained the process to you.