Dvd-r burning

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GH20NS10. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]

Not sure if I’m in the right place…but here goes:

I have an LG Internal Super Multi DVD Rewiter GH20 on my pc. But I’m not sure about what dvd-r to use for burning movies. Some people say that a 4.7mb dvd-r of 120 minutes will burn a movie of that same length of time…but some have said its not enough to get the whole movie.

My question: Should I use a dvd-r double layer or dual layer? I know nothing about these type of dvds.

The box my rewriter came in has this on the outside:

20x dvd+r Write speed
8.5GB dvd+r Double layer 16x/dvd -r dual layer 12x

Does this mean that these dvds will burn longer movie times. One movie I have is 140 minutes long…so I cant burn it on to a 4.7 dvd.

If I sound like a complete twit…sorry, but any advice will be appreciated. I dont want to waste money buying that type of disc, if its no good for the job.

There’s also a list of discs that this rewriter is compatible with including

dvd+rw 8x/dvd-rw 6x/dvd -ram 12x/ dvd+dl 16x/dvd-r dl 12x, but it will not burn a movie to a dvd-rw…I’ve tried.

Dont know if anyone can make sense of all that…but I’m hoping!

Hi Gilli99:

Does this mean that these dvds will burn longer movie times. One movie I have is 140 minutes long…so I cant burn it on to a 4.7 dvd.

Yes to the 1st part and no to the 2nd part. Dl media will allow you to place more information/data (e.g. movie, pictures, etc.) on the disc as they have greater capacity to store information.

Regarding the 2nd part, movies can be compressed so they fit on a 4.7 gb disc. One of the more popular programs is DVDShrink. How much compression you are willing to accept is based on a host of factors and is rather subjective.

[B][/B]
Thanks, Jeff. So, it’ll be okay for me to buy the double layer/dual layer discs, then?
I understand what you say about compressing movies, but not sure I want to go that way.

If you don’t want to compress, then go with DL and only use Verbatim (even if it’s not on sale). If you have appropriate software, you could split a movie among two SL (4.7) discs and also avoid compression.

Here is an active thread that shows a sale price on Verbatim DL media. Newegg ships to US and Canada.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/verbatim-2-4x-dvd-r-dl-20-pack-23-99-free-shipping-newegg-256369/

Most people prefer to compress the movies, or remove extras rather than go to dual layer disks. Dual layer disks are much more expensive, and there are fewer good choices for them. The only brand of dual layer disks we recommend around here is Verbatim. And with that LG drive, you really need to stick to that recommendation, as LG’s are not known to be good writers with mediocre media.

Shrink is a good way to get started with compressing movies. If you want the very highest quality in your backups (with compression), you should look into the free version of DVDRebuilder.

If you are willing to pay a lot more for the dual layer disks, then a complete copy without compression is the best quality that can be done.

You’ll need an up to date decrypter/ripping program to get your movies to the hard drive. I suggest DVDFab HD Decrypter, which is free to use. Be aware that as you use the free section, you are using up the free trial of the main program, but the decryption/ripping part will continue to work even after the trial is finished.

[B][/B]

Okay, Jeff & Kerry…I’m gonna give Shrink a whirl.
We can buy Verbatim DL discs here in the UK for the equivalent of $15.40 and thats the lowest price found so far…I’ll start saving my pennies lol! Thanks to you both for your help.

Are you talking about backing up commercial movies? If so, there is a matter of copy protection that needs to be removed. Please post back if this is an issue.

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2163962]Are you talking about backing up commercial movies? If so, there is a matter of copy protection that needs to be removed. Please post back if this is an issue.[/QUOTE]

I have downloaded a commercial movie, legally, which I paid for. The movies arent pirated. I realise that there may be copyright issues and that not all movies may be burned. The site I use states that all their movies are burnable and I have successfully burned one movie to a dvd-r so far.
I dont think I’m acting illegally…the movie burned with no playing problems, when played on my dvd player.
If you think I’m acting illegally, please tell me. Thanks:confused:

I’m not at all suggesting anything of that nature. If a movie has protection, that requires additional handling to remove it. That’s why I sent that link to the post (to give you a heads-up). Movies which are not protected/encrypted do not require that additional effort to remove it.

A common 3 step approach taken by many members is to rip with DVDFab’s HD Decryptor, Shrink to fit on an SL disc and burn with imgburn. If your movies had encryption and you didn’t address it, your DVDs would not play. :):slight_smile: