DVD-R burn with Lite-on 851S

Hi guys,

Hope someone could help me…
I recently burnt DVD-R’s with my Liteon 851S and it appears they won’t play on my dvd player NOR on my pc drive, just as if the finalization process didn’t succeed, though I didn’t get any error messages.

I tried 2 different brands: Princo (id code: Princo) and Ridisc (Ritek G04 dye) single layer 4x. These won’t work and I’m sure my dvd player plays Princo dvd-R’s.

The strange thing is that both DVD Speed and DVD Infopro will recognize the media as being blank and, most amazing, the SmartBurn tool from Liteon will notice that nominal capacity of these 2 dvd-R’s is 7.82 GB!! (see below):
Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD-R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 50 52 49 4E 43 4F (PRINCO)
Disc TID = 00 00 00 00 00 00 (…)
Nominal Capacity = 7.82GB
Manufacturer Maybe = Princo Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

So I guess there is a problem and i wish i could solve it in order not to throw away the 50 dvd’s i bought.

Thanks for your help!

I recently burnt DVD-R’s with my Liteon 851S and it appears they won’t play on my dvd player NOR on my pc drive, just as if the finalization process didn’t succeed, though I didn’t get any error messages.

The strange thing is that both DVD Speed and DVD Infopro will recognize the media as being blank and, most amazing, the SmartBurn tool from Liteon will notice that nominal capacity of these 2 dvd-R’s is 7.82 GB!!

how long does it take to finalise these discs? i had the same thing happen with some ridisc the lead-out/finalising took about a minute resulting in the same problem you describe.

:Z :Z :Z crap media = :Z :Z :Z crap results.

I tried 2 different brands: Princo (id code: Princo) and Ridisc (Ritek G04 dye) single layer 4x. These won’t work and I’m sure my dvd player plays Princo dvd-R’s.

try flashin the drive with codeguys sony VY06 firmware…this is very good for - discs…
i have found it particularly good with ritek G04’s which you seem to have…it also burns princo but these discs are the bottom of the barrel…
ritek are good discs if you get a good batch if you get a dodgy batch then you may as well use them for frisbee’s or coasters…

Can I really flash my Liteon 851S with a Sony firmware??
I actually intented to flash it with the Omnipatcher from Codeguys…

thats what i mean…get omnipatcher and the VY06 firmware (both on codeguys page) and flash…make sure you tick the cross flashing option. the sony dru-700a is a rebadged liteon 832. they are the same drive apart from the cosmetics…might look different outside but the drive itself inside is actualy a liteon 832…

I try to use too that VY06 firmware for my 851s drive, and
when I burn disc the light is not flash red. It flash green.
Is it normal :rolleyes:

Yes with Sony firmware it´s normal. Read this thread :wink: