DVD quits halfway when in dvd player

vbimport

I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I’ve never had to post on a forum because usually someone else has posted it and I can just Google it, but I’m finding everything SIMILAR to my problem, but nothing exact…
Let me first say that I have been burning for over 5 years, so I know what I’m doing, but with that being said, I don’t know much beyond what I already do, lol
Here’s the scenario:
I put a dvd in my pc and use dvdfab to put it on the pc, then I used DVD Shrink -> Nero to burn the disc. I had been using DVDDecrypter for a while (simply because I lost my Nero disc, but I have it back) and it would throw errors 75% of the time at the very end saying the process failed. Sometimes it would still work, sometimes the end of the movie was cut off and sometimes it didn’t work at all.
Now, I’m having this problem - I get no errors, everything completes A-OK, but when I play it in my DVD player (which is a Phillips Blu-ray surround sound) it stops around halfway and goes to the main menu. I have tried it in our 2 XBOX 360s as well, but they wont play it at all, just the white XBOX screen. When I put it in my pc, it plays perfectly fine.
I haven’t used any new blank DVDs, I’ve been using Verbatim 4.7GB DVD-R for about a year now.
I read somewhere to slow the burning speed, so I did, it didn’t work. I even went out and bought a new burner because the one I was using was about 3 years old. I’m still having the issue and I don’t know what the deal is. I read somewhere to scan the disc with Nero DiscSpeed to see if there were errors and it came back 100% good. I have wasted about 20 discs during all of this (mainly because I didn’t realize the problem was going on because I wasn’t checking the discs since I had been having no problem for so long - won’t make that mistake anymore). I really don’t want to waste any more DVDs; we don’t need coasters, we use water bottles, LOL
I think I put all of the information you would need on here.

Do you have the latest version of DVDFab? DVDFab now has two different versions…it has branched off into DVDFab 8 and DVDFab 9. See here: http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

Are you using the free section of DVDFab, called DVDFab HD Decrypter to do the decryption and ripping to the hard drive? Or have you paid for a license for the program?

Just for my information, can you put one of the burned discs that will not play in your stand alone player in your computer’s dvd drive and try to open it with DVDShrink again? DVDShrink is stickler for correct dvd structure, so if it will not open again in Shrink, you know there is something wrong with the dvd video.

I have the newest version of DVDFab, but yes, I am using the free version.
I have put it back in DVDShrink to burn again and burned it at a slower speed. DVDShrink didn’t act like anything was wrong either :frowning:
Thank you for your response! :slight_smile:

You have a very strange problem going on here.

Lets try this. Rip one of the dvds that will not play correctly. Put it back onto the hard drive using DVDFab. Then run this dvd-video through a program called FixVTS. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FixVTS

Take the output from FixVTS and burn to a new disc using a different burning program called ImgBurn. You can download it from one of the mirrors on this page: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Imgburn will not interfere with your installation of Nero by the way, so it is safe to have both on the same system.

Start the program, click on Write files/folders to disc, then burn the dvd video to the disc at 8x speed. ImgBurn will ask to put in a label if you don’t add it in.

You can also try ripping from one of the original movie dvds, then run this through FixVTS before processing with DVDShrink to get it to the correct size.

And if that doesn’t do anything, we can try a different program for compression. I normally recommend DVD Rebuilder, since it produces better quality results than any transcoder like Shrink.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2681084]
Lets try this. Rip one of the dvds that will not play correctly. Put it back onto the hard drive using DVDFab. Then run this dvd-video through a program called FixVTS. [/QUOTE]

Thank you again for your reply! :slight_smile: So, I don’t know if I found the problem or if it’s the fact that I updated the software, but I’m now using DVDFab 9 (I thought 8.2.2 was the newest, but I didn’t scroll down last night) and I can’t even get to the copy or rip option…when I try to browse for the source, it says, “It appears that F:\ is a dvd folder, would you like to open it?” and I click yes and get an error: Failed to open F:\ Please check if it’s playable
and it won’t go any further
I’m going to try to use DVDFab 8 and see if I get the same error and then I’ll respond back if you aren’t able to figure out the culprit by this error :slight_smile:

So, after having major issues with my pc rebooting (long story) I FINALLY was able to try DVDFab 8. Strangely, I got the “make sure it’s playable” error again - one I’ve never gotten before. HOWEVER, if I try to clone I get this:
The DVD on F:\ is data disc. You can choose “Clone” to copy it.
So obviously this has to be the problem, but how did this happen? Where in the process (that I had so often done the same way) did it screw up the discs? This is so frustrating! Especially since I can watch every one of these DVDs on the pc, just nowhere else… :’(

When you examine the discs that you have burned, you do see a Video_TS folder (containing vob, ifo and bup files normally seen in dvd video), and an empty Audio_TS folder? Is this correct?

If so, simply [B]copy[/B] them to the hard drive and then re-burn to a new disc with ImgBurn. It will recognize that you are burning dvd-video and set it up appropriately.

Well, I couldn’t copy it the normal way, the only option it allowed was to clone and it HAD to be ISO. It went with no errors, then I burned it with ImgBurn with no errors. Popped it in the player, skipped forward and it stopped at the very same scene it did before. :frowning:
I’m scared to death to record anything new because I can’t find the culprit! I have a new burner now, bought a bigger HD because I was sick of fill it up so quickly if I didn’t delete the files IMMEDIATELY, and I have updated software, so I honestly can’t think of anything else to do…

You couldn’t just drag and drop the Video_TS folder to the hard drive? If the disc is a data disc, not a dvd-video disc, it won’t rip like a movie dvd.

If that doesn’t work, I suggest starting over from the original discs and follow this procedure:

1. Rip to the hard drive using the latest version of DVDFab. Or better yet, get the trial version of AnyDVD and use its built in ripper. (right click the small fox icon at the bottom right of your screen to find the control for this ripper…and rip as files, not as an image).

2. Download the free version of DVDRebuilder: http://www.jdobbs.com/Pages/Downloads.htm
    Set it up to use the HC encoder that comes with the program. If you need [B]any[/B] advice on using the program I can help.

3. Burn the files produced using ImgBurn.

These are the tools I use for backing up dvds to dics. They work exceptionally well.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2681170]You couldn’t just drag and drop the Video_TS folder to the hard drive? If the disc is a data disc, not a dvd-video disc, it won’t rip like a movie dvd.
[/QUOTE]

IT WORKED!!! OMG! I could kiss you!!! Thank you so, so, so, so much!! That’s such a weight off my shoulders! :slight_smile:
Thanks so much for sticking with me through all of this! You are a genius!

Well, I’m glad we found the problem. It seems that something has changed in the way Nero has been burning them, as they shouldn’t be seen as data discs at all.

By the way, if you would like a copy of DVDShrink that uses ImgBurn to burn instead of Nero or DVDDecrypter you can find it here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Shrink
Just look for the link that says Download DVD Shrink for ImgBurn, about a third of the way down that page.

Its in a rar file, so you’ll need to unzip it with something that can handle rar files, like 7-Zip. Once unzipped, you just replace the executable file for DVDShrink in your Program files with this one.

ImgBurn is written and maintained by the same guy who wrote DVDDecrypter, and it is a superb burning program now.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2681172]
By the way, if you would like a copy of DVDShrink that uses ImgBurn to burn instead of Nero or DVDDecrypter you can find it here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Shrink
Just look for the link that says Download DVD Shrink for ImgBurn, about a third of the way down that page.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! I think I’ll do this. I didn’t like using Nero anyway because I kept losing my disc and if I reformatted I was screwed LOL!
Thank you again!!