DVD Questions

I will be purchasing my first ever Taiyo Yuden blank DVDs sometime soon! However, I have a few questions:

1. 8x or 16x?
  2. My burner supports both DVD-R and DVD+R. Which one is better for data? Which one is better for video (as in a regular movie DVD)?
  3. Would MCC (Mitsubishi) DVDs be better than Yudens?

Thanks for your help!

[QUOTE=IHeartGaming;2676521]I will be purchasing my first ever Taiyo Yuden blank DVDs sometime soon! However, I have a few questions:

1. 8x or 16x?
  2. My burner supports both DVD-R and DVD+R. Which one is better for data? Which one is better for video (as in a regular movie DVD)?

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

1. From my experience, their 8x DVDs scan better. The DVD+R variant (YUDEN000T02) is especially nice.

2. On modern equipment, both work fine. Some of the older standalone players only support DVD-R, but I’ve yet to come across one through ten years of DVD use.

3. I can’t make a judgment on longevity, but both work well. Scanwise, I tend to get the best results using 8x TY (followed by 8x or 16x MCC), but YMMV. Some say that consumer scans aren’t useful at all.

[QUOTE=IHeartGaming;2676521]I will be purchasing my first ever Taiyo Yuden blank DVDs sometime soon! However, I have a few questions:

1. 8x or 16x?

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

1. I always preferred the 8x +R variety.

2. Doesn’t matter much anymore. Some standalone players might prefer -R, but those are rare in these days. And a bitset +R would be very similar in compatibility.

3. At one point you might have started a small war with that question. These days, we’re just happy to have both types still available, for however long that lasts. Buy whichever is on sale.

1. I’m quite partial to 8x +R TYs, rather than the 16x ones.

2. 8x TY DVD+R are very nice, if you can still find them. Regarding the basic -R vs +R question - as mentioned, it doesn’t really matter these days. I have movies backed up on both and my last 3 standalones are/were fine with them.

3. Haha, what Kerry said :iagree: - I’m a die-hard Verbatim MCC004 lover, but as long as both MCC and TY exist, I’m a happy kitty :slight_smile:

I still burn CDs and DVDs. I use 8x +R TYs DVDs as well. Just curious - what is your opinion on MAM-A DVDs and CDs? The MAM-A claims sound good (and their price reflects that).

[QUOTE=texasjackson;2676746]Just curious - what is your opinion on MAM-A DVDs and CDs?[/QUOTE]

They are seriously overpriced average to below average quality media.
By the way, welcome to the forums, texasjackson! :wink:

[QUOTE=texasjackson;2676746]I still burn CDs and DVDs. I use 8x +R TYs DVDs as well. Just curious - what is your opinion on MAM-A DVDs and CDs? The MAM-A claims sound good (and their price reflects that).[/QUOTE]

Please stick to your TY’s. It saddens me every time I see a seller still trying to pass off MAM-A media as something special :rolleyes:.

Pepst knows of which he speaks. They are a bad joke on the uninformed media buying public.

Welcome to the club :).

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2677059]…They are a bad joke on the uninformed media buying public.
[/QUOTE]

I thought that was Princo - “The official bootleggers’ media!!” (don’t know if you remember that chat from the Bargain Basement?) :bigsmile: