DVD programs-recommend something other than Fab?

vbimport

During the last month I have ended up with too many coasters and I don’t care about the lost money for DVDFab. Just too many problems and I am not here to bash them, but to ask for recommendations on similar programs. Please advise me on what you believe is the best program currently available. User friendly is the most important thing.
I tried imgburn and wanting just a basic Default option, I still got "do this or that? Of course you must answer, and hope you guessed right… I say this because any program recommended should not imgburn as the only burn program option. Thanks for your help!:iagree:

You’ll not win many friends bashing ImgBurn around here. I personally believe it to be the finest burning program available, and it is FREE to use. To tell you straight up with no molly coddling, the vast majority of problems I’ve seen from users and ImgBurn have been cases of PEBKAC.

Don’t expect to be spoon fed by programs. Learn to use them as tools.

DVDFab and AnyDVD are the two programs that stand head and shoulders above the other dvd decrypters. AnyDVD works in the background and breaks encryption and you can rip with it, but it won’t compress or burn your dvds for you. It will work in conjunction with other tools however, like the free program DVDShrink or the commercial programs like CloneDVD or DVDNextCopy.

My personal choices are AnyDVD to break encryption + DVDShrink to analyze the dvds and see how much compression is necessary to fit onto a single layer dvd. If it is only a trivial amount, I go ahead and use DVDShrink. I make movie only backups…I get rid of extras and menus. If the movie needs more than 10% compression (into the 80’s on Shrink’s scale) I always use DVDRebuilder instead of Shrink. DVDRebuilder produces the highest quality backups possible for large dvds.

When using DVDRebuilder, rip the entire movie to the hard drive first with the built-in ripper in AnyDVD and then start up DVDRebuilder and work from the movie on the hard drive. It is faster during the encoding process and saves wear and tear on the optical drive.

DVDShrink can be set up to use Nero or DVDDecrypter to burn the output automatically (also ImgBurn if you have the right version of Shrink). You won’t have to lift a finger to burn with them if you set it up correctly and put a blank dvd in the drive beforehand. DVDRebuilder can also be set up to burn automatically (but only with ImgBurn).

Hi Kerry, I did not bad mouth Imgburn, At All. It is such an impressive program and has so many options that slow, older people as myself, see too many choices when a simple: using a DVD-5 or DVD-9? would be enough for my purposes. Pop-up questions during a burn process is something I wish to avoid.
Compression is the other issue. I’m willing to use Verbatim +R DL disk’s, so size is not important, after ruining DVD-5’s with improper burns from FAB since Ver.7, I’m better off with DL disks somewhere else. I have Shrink, so that is an option. Based on your reply (I trust PEBKAC is a virus or malware, not something personally rude) AnyDVD is the best choice and I will look into it right away.
Thank You for your help, Dan

If you are willing to do full backups to DL media, then you can just rip with AnyDVD to the hard drive and burn to a disk with the burning program of your choice. If you want another free burning program to try, look at CD Burner XP

To access the built in ripper within AnyDVD, start the program, then right click the little fox icon at the bottom right of your screen. You will get a list of options, including Rip Video DVD to Harddisk.

PEBKAC is not a virus though it is widespread. Nor is it rude…simply a statement of fact. [B]P[/B]roblem [B]e[/B]xists [B]b[/B]etween [B]k[/B]eyboard [B]a[/B]nd [B]c[/B]hair. (a shorthand way of saying user error).

For ease & successful burns most of the time use AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 combination.
AnyDVD is the decrypter.(It can rip but use CloneDVD2 for ripping )
It will rip to DVD 5 size .
Not too many settings.If you like movie only just select Copy DVD titles.
You can uncheck some things like unwanted Audio streams but you don’t have too.
Do to a suggestion from Kerry56 I’m using DVDRebuilder for some movies.I like what it does but I wouldn’t recommend it for someone wanting a simple to use program.You will certainly need a different ripper if you use DVDRebuilder.At least with the free version.The pro pay version has more options but I don’t think ripping is one of them.
On DVDFab’s side I have used it in the past & didn’t have the problems some people seem to have.I use the free version.I haven’t yet tried a version 7 but I expect it will work for me.

I don’t know of any all-in-one program. I have a list of what I use, so here goes.

DVDdecrypter: This will copy all files off of a DVD and put them on your HD or burn them to another DVD.

DVD Shrink: If you’re trying to burn files totaling more than 4gb to a 4gb DVD, this allows you to either compress the video and or take out selected content to free up space.

VOB Blanker: I don’t know too much about what this does. All I’ve used this for is to change the DVD region from PAL to NTSC (this allows European and other DVDs to work in American players). This process takes only a few seconds.

DVD Flick: This isn’t a DVD ripper. This will convert almost any video file to a DVD format and burn it for you.

Handbrake: This will convert DVD files as well as other video files to a single video file (mp4, m4v, etc.)

IMG Burner: When I’m satisfied with my results, I use this to burn all information. (Note that while this can be downloaded separately, this program is also included with DVD Flick).

These programs are all free and are only a few megabytes a piece. This list looks long, but these are all really easy programs to use. If you’d like to look at more programs available or read guides on how to use these, take a look at the Doom9 http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software.htm website. Also note that I don’t know which of these programs (if any) will work with Blurays as I don’t have a Blueray reader.

Rip with DVDfab-> main movie>ImgBurn…For those 2+hr flicks, I rip to DL size and use DVDRB pro for compression if I so desire…Can’t go wrong(IMO)…Different strokes, for different folks…

[QUOTE=dan633;2503631]During the last month I have ended up with too many coasters and I don’t care about the lost money for DVDFab. Just too many problems and I am not here to bash them, but to ask for recommendations on similar programs. Please advise me on what you believe is the best program currently available. [U]User friendly [/U]is the most important thing.
I tried imgburn and wanting just a basic Default option, I still got "do this or that? Of course you must answer, and hope you guessed right… I say this because any program recommended should not imgburn as the only burn program option. Thanks for your help!:iagree:[/QUOTE]

Instead of bashing some very good burning programs, have you stopped and considered that it could be the media that is the culprit?

Maybe because you’ve had so many errors your PC turned DMA mode off to PIO mode?

Burn log errors?

Etc?

:cool::cool:

Thanks to all who replied. There are a lot of ideas presented and I look forward to experimenting with the various programs. Once I find the right combo for getting good results with the least amount fine tuning I should be all set.
Ideally, a paid program should have support that answers questions and concerns with more than one sentence blurbs three or four days later. Then hunting down an alternative would not be necessary. Live and learn the adage goes.
I appreciate the time and effort to those who were kind enough to share their experience and expertise with this type of video software. Dan B

Dan if you would have gone into the fab forum and posted a burn log I am sure they could have gotten it fixed right away for you or if you would have read the instructions on how to use the program and used good media like was mentioned then you wouldn’t have had any problems, but it all boils down to the user of the program not the program it’s self. If you set up dfvdfab it’s very simple, 1 step program install movie and blank media walk away come back in 15 min or so and it’s all done

Hello,
The media used should not have been the issue. I used only Verbatim +R and +R DL. Now the problem left as fast as it started. When FabD updated to Ver. 7, I had two icons on the Desk Top, Since a new Ver. was downloaded I removed Ver. 6. There were no instructions saying to keep both programs active. As a rule two similar programs, are not recommended. Within a week 2 BETA updates appeared-[U]those fixed [/U]the problems I had. I’m certain most people were affected. When the bad burns were occurring I contacted “support”. Four days passed when I was told that Ver.6 had to stay put, so reload it. There was no mention of fixes coming up, but the updates took care of it. Also on the positive side, the time it takes to rip to file decreased by about 30% with ver.7 All’s working again.:iagree: