DVD Printer Help

vbimport

Hello All!

I am new here and I have been browsing the forums and hopefully someone can help me with my problem. I am planning on purchasing a DVD/CD Printer to print directly on the White Verbatim DVD DL. I also plan on using inkjet. I have just heard too many horror stories about the Labeling Kit and such. I was wondering what are some good printers (mainly for DVD/CD Printing) around $120 and cheaper? I have looked at the Epson R280 and HP D5160 but the reviews have not sold me. If anyone cares to tell their personal experience with one around my price range, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks All!

Like any printer, you should be looking at everything you need it to do, not just one function like disc printing. If it only needs to print discs, then it becomes a question of software and drivers. If it needs to do every day printing chores, then other features come into play. Is cost of operation a factor? HP has the worst software and drivers, Canon has the best. Canon has the most features for every day use, like dual paper feeds and auto-duplexing. Canon in the USA needs to be re-set for disc printing and you also need to buy a disc tray.

For just discs and photos, the Epson R280 is a cheap printer that performs well, but is not as cheap to run as Canon.

All things considered, if you don’t mind a little fiddling and buying a disc tray, the Canon IP4500 is outstanding in all regards.

I guess cost of operation would be a factor as I do not want to be paying a ton on ink. I have heard that Epson printer’s ink does not last very long and is very expensive… how does that compare to the Canon you were talking about? That Canon printer looks very nice and I will research it more when I get home. One thing I do not understand is the resetting for the disc printing? I am not sure how that works… Thanks for all your help!

[QUOTE=jeremyhall23;2044949]I guess cost of operation would be a factor as I do not want to be paying a ton on ink. I have heard that Epson printer’s ink does not last very long and is very expensive… how does that compare to the Canon you were talking about? That Canon printer looks very nice and I will research it more when I get home. One thing I do not understand is the resetting for the disc printing? I am not sure how that works… Thanks for all your help![/QUOTE]

In the USA, the IP4500 is fully capable of disc printing, but the feature is disabled in the firmware due to licensing issues. (Epson owns the license for disc printing in the USA). It’s a simple matter of setting the firmware to think it’s a European printer, and disc printing is enabled. Instructions for doing this are widely available. You can get a disc tray (tray F) for the IP4500 on Ebay, I recommend this seller or this seller, both of which sell genuine Canon trays. The trays also come with instructions for enabling the disc print function.

You can read a comparison of Epson vs Canon printers in this forum, it’s a sticky thread. If you’re only printing discs and photos, the cost of running the Epson and Canon will be similar, with Canon being slightly less. For every day printing chores, the Canon will use less ink. The Canon ink tanks hold 1-2 CC less ink, but cost $2-4 less each, depending on where you buy them. I run my IP4500 in draft mode for most paper printing, and it looks great and uses very little ink. One other note, the Canon spits out a disc in 1/2 the time that it takes the Epson to do it.

I bought an Epson Photo R320 in 2004 because I was into digital camera/picture printing and wanted good quality.
It came with a CD/DVD printing tray etc. which I didn’t even pay attention to until just recently someone who has the same printer as I, introduced me to the printable disks and talked me into using the CD printing option.
Words can not explain how much I LOVE it!
The only thing is, that printer does gobble up ink but not to the point where it takes the fun and enjoyment out of my creations that I can print out. I never counted but do get pretty many printouts to keep me happy. The only thing is, is that it is a shame that I use that printer for all my paper work (everything) opposed to just CD’s & Photos.
I did find Genuine Epson ink cheaper to buy on the net than Wal-Mart had so that helps.
I did try compatible ink which sometimes gave trouble and rather than screw up my printer, I thought I better stay with the genuine ink.