DVD plays on laptop but not on dvd player? help!

vbimport

I have a dw d56a slimline sony drive on my dell laptop. I upgraded to the new firmware on dells site. I can play the burned dvd on my laptop but wont read on my dvd player. how can I fix this problem?
I have also used different media, presently Im using go1 taiyo yuden 4x discs…stil ldont work. I checked out the big lite on tread but I have no clue what corss flashing etc is. not t omention my computer is still under warranty.

any ideas?

@ classiguy
You may have a booktype problem, which can be easily solved by bitsetting . Let us know if this helps.

thanks for the reply!, apparently I have upgraded to the new firmware from dell. I am assuming i need the omnipatcher to recognize dvd-r media.

I read something about resetting itself. does this mean I have to select -r media every time I burn a dvd if I dont upgrade to omnipatcher firmware?

@ classiguy
If you have the newest firmware, then the bitsetting selection should hold until you change it again, but you should test it out by rebooting to make sure. I am not positive this holds true for Dell’s firmware.

@ classiguy
I am no expert on your drive, but if you have questions concerning your drive, there is The big LITE-ON SOSW-852S / Sony DW-D56A thread where you may try a ‘search’ to help answer questions you may have. If not then posting in that thread may be of more help to you and others.

Please, I downloaded the booktype135 and inserted a dvd in it. does it have to be blank to set it? i inserted a burnt dvd and all the options were shaded.
thanks,
-Leo

I just posted to the big lite on thread thanks!

@ classiguy
The disc needs to be blank, as the bitsetting program must run before burning the disc as the bitsetting process is part of the burning process. You can bitset a dvd+/-RW after burning since it is rewriteable.

thank you for your time…hopefully it works.
I’ll try it later tonight.

so basically I set the bitsetting before I burn the disc , then after that if firmware permitting and it doesnt reset, I wont have to keep doing it every time correct?

@ classiguy

so basically I set the bitsetting before I burn the disc , then after that if firmware permitting and it doesnt reset, I wont have to keep doing it every time correct?
yes

Iinserted a blank dvd media in the drive and apparently the liteon stated its onmy for dvd+r/+rw, the “write now”,“change” buttons are shaded?

I need to write onto dvd-r media…

@ classiguy

You can only set bitsetting for DVD+r/rw. If you write to a dvd-r/rw then you cannot change it book type.
liteon drive work better with DVD+r than DVD-r. I have the DW-D56A on a dell 700m and it work very good.