DVD player getting touchy about my burns

Hello,

I’m kind of a newbie, so I guess here’s where to post. I burn a lot of my own DVDs (I have two Philips 8701 burners) and have had very few problems until now. I have DVD players of various brands all over the house. Recently my main DVD player (Toshiba) has become very touchy about my burned DVDs, and won’t play many of them. When I insert one, instead of starting to play with numbers advancing, it shows all dashes and won’t play. No problem with factory DVDs, just mine. My burns play fine on my computers, my Panasonic, and my Sony. I have a spare Toshiba, it will play a few of the newer burns, but again, on some, it shows the dashes and won’t play. Note, this is mostly happening with new releases, I have tried different burning programs, including IdealDVDCopy.

My questions are:

Is the problem likely to be my Toshiba going bad, or something in the new releases I’m burning? (I would hate to buy more players only to have the same problem when I get them home).

And, if I have to buy new players, are certain brands more user-friendly to home burned DVDs?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dustman

Most likely it’s just a player/media compatibility issue…What media are you using now, and which media have you used in the past that works on your Toshiba…I mainly use Verbatims and burn with Imgburn at 8x, and my HD-A2 Toshiba is happy as a clam…

Hi, tOnee1,

Thanks for the reply. I use Verbatim exclusively, had no problems until recently, and I too burn at 8x

Dustman

Note, this is mostly happening with new releases, I have tried different burning programs, including IdealDVDCopy.

What other proggies?.. Did you try DVDFab?..

What other burning apps have you tried?.. If you’re not already using it, try Imgburn…

Hi, again,

Yepper, I tried DVD Fab, and the burns themselves are perfect. They play perfectly in my Panasonic and Sony, but not in my Toshiba. I was just wondering if it had something to do with newer releases having some newer kind of protection (The Day the Earth Stood Still, Underworld, Rise), etc., or if my player is going bad, and if so, and I have to buy a new one, is there a particular brand or model that is going to be more user-friendly to home-made DVDs. You can’t really test them in the stores, they are seldom hooked up.

Thanks again,

Dustman

Recently my main DVD player (Toshiba) has become very touchy about my burned DVDs, and won’t play many of them.

Sometimes things just get old and tired. I experienced the same problem with 2 of my CD players, one day they just stopped playing burns. I have a Philip’s DVD HTIB that just recently stopped playing burns. Opening and closing it sometimes works (once it ‘catches’ it plays fine). I’ve tried other media, tried +R booktyped… still no go. I’ll probably try to hand clean the lens.

What media are you using now, and which media have you used in the past that works on your Toshiba…

The question I’d ask, do older burns that [B]once [/B]played still work?

Have you tried updating the firmware on your Toshiba DVD player? I was having similar problems to yours on my Toshiba A3 – the dashes and also some newer DVDs freezing – but they played fine on my computers and other DVD players. I updated the firmware from Toshiba’s website and problems solved. HTH.

Hello, Mystic Eyes and Lady C,

Thanks for the responses. On that Toshiba thing, Lady C, how did you do that again? I don’t follow.

Thanks,

Dustman

Dustman, go to Toshiba’s website (link below) and check that you agree to their terms & conditions, etc. Once you do that, there will be a list of players for you to choose from. Select yours, download the update, burn it and insert into your Toshiba player. It will walk you through the firmware update on your TV screen.

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-images/notices/hddvd-downloadingfirmware.asp

Hi, Lady C,

I went, got blown away! LOL My unit is a Toshiba SD 3950, not an HD model. I put in for help with the model I have, and it directed me to online help, and then demanded I buy a plan to find out anything.

Oh, well, worth a try, I guess!

Dustman