DVD Player choices?

vbimport

Hi gang; Ya got a real newbei here so sorry for the silly question… but ya gota start somewhere…

I’m in the market for a DVD player… What do I need to look for? There seem to be so many different format out there, and problems where someone creates a dvd but other can’t read it.
Is there a player that will handle all the formats and zones??
I would eventually like to make backups (so I’ll be looking for a recorder later) of my movies so the kids won’t destroy or lose them…
Any suggestions welcome… Thanks all !!!

[QUOTE=jimmyc;2013186]Hi gang; Ya got a real newbei here so sorry for the silly question… but ya gota start somewhere…

I’m in the market for a DVD player… What do I need to look for? There seem to be so many different format out there, and problems where someone creates a dvd but other can’t read it.
Is there a player that will handle all the formats and zones??
I would eventually like to make backups (so I’ll be looking for a recorder later) of my movies so the kids won’t destroy or lose them…
Any suggestions welcome… Thanks all !!![/QUOTE]

Hi JimmyC welcome to CD Freaks
you will want one that plays both -R and +R media disc’s also the more video formats it is able to read and play the better,…not sure what your price rang is so can’t give you any brand names

Most players can playback most disc types but there will always be brands of media that cause issues for some players.

The main thing for you to concentrate on when buying a player is to get one that [I]supports[I] region free (you noted zones in your initial post). Aside from that, always use a quality media and you won’t have playback issues.

The Oppo players have excellent PAL to NTSC conversion, support region free, and have excellent video quality. If they are out of your price range, you could settle for a player such as the Philips 5982.

1. An El Cheapo player usually plays anything you slap in them with the plus and dash formats. I bought 3 Coby 224SS at Kmart last Black friday, $15 each after rebate. 2 of the 3 went as gifts and playing everything I send them. The 3rd one is my backup,still sealed. These also have progressive scan. Make sure it’s progressive scan. My current $30 walmart elcheapo magnavox plays everything including my DL backups.This player lacks progressive scan. The good thing about buying from local retailers,if the player doesn’t play your backups,then you can exchange it very easily. Players can do some screwy things when it comes to reading dvd backups.

2. If you plan on playing discs from around the world,then you’d want a region free player. I can’t really help you there.Then you got PAL and NTSC,so an OPPO player like Dogg posted may be your best bet. Then there’s the DIVX incase you’re looking for a player with that capability.

3. Making backups: Make sure you get a quality bitsetting (Booktyping) drive and then that’ll help solve the stand alone player compatability. Some dvd-rw drives can’t booktype,and some are pcs of crap. With that quality booktyping dvd-rw drive,then use quality + format media like taiyo yuden or verbatim. They will prevent a lot of issues…

In the 4+ years of backing up dvds, #3 says it all! Quality!

use videohelp.com and go thru the comments
I love my pioneer. There is even a modded firmware for it.

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/

If you plan to buy from the store you can just bring one of your back ups with you to make sure it plays. Just make sure the dvd player can play both PAL and NTSC.

Just an example what is worth looking after:
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/42/84/222/DV-600AV-K/index.html

HHgregg has a Toshiba on sale. It’s DIVX compatable. Hair under $40

This about as cheap as I would go. For the money it’s a decent player. It doesn’t offer many picture adjustments, the remote is a tad more useful than the $20 players, but won’t open the tray. USB with DivX Ultra is a nice touch.

A simple hack will make it region free.

And for the record it does play -Rs, as do any players worth owning.

• Go to videohelp.com and check which players can be set region free
  • If possible, purchase a european PAL player. Those things can handle everything, including NTSC and PAL schematics.
  • You should spend as little money as possible. Usually the most crappy brands accept any disc you feed 'em.

Unless you want 1080p or HDMI , then go for high quality brands.

please help i purchased a dvd buner from lite-on and it is a sata connect and my other drives which are IDE connect which the ide r the master and it is telling me that the sata is the master serial dvd will not work??? please any coments will be gladly apperiaciated