Dvd player can't play disk

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRU-720A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]i’ve converted and burned a few dvd’s before this that have played ok but something not working now, can’t remember which burner and converter but think i’ve used a few different ones

the dvd player is samsung dvd-v3500, manual says it plays dvd-r but ‘ability to playback may depend on recording’, the player looks like its l-o-a-d-i-n-g but then gives msg can’t play disk

in imgburn the sony burner is described as cmc mag-e01-00

i have a ‘good’ xvid-avi file, at least i can play it ok with windows media player
it was converted to .vob’s with dvd flick 1.3.0
i burned -r disks with imgburn, (both -r and +r), dvdshrink, and final burner, thats 4 separate disks, and none play?
any ideas what might be going wrong here?

The media you are using is CMC MAG-E01, which has a reputation of being quite variable in quality. My advice is to slow down your burn speed a notch and see if anything improves. You didn’t mention what speed you were burning these in your post.

If that doesn’t help, try some better media, Verbatim if you can find it (Best Buy is a reliable source) or Sony if that is easier to find locally. If you don’t mind buying disks online, look for Taiyo Yuden 8x +R at rima.com, Newegg.com or supermediastore.com. Assuming you are in the US.

thanks for the tips, i tried a new imgburn at 8k instead of the auto/fastest with same result, disk no good. i do have verbatim disks so l lucked out there.
is there some way/utility to check the validity of the vob files? or different settings in dvd flick that creates the vobs? this the files i’m trying to burn from. the number and size of them to my novice eye, they look very similar to ones i have successfully burned from in the past. there was an empty audio folder created from dvd flick and i did include that in the folders list for input into imgburn.
12/13/2008 05:54 PM 6,144 VIDEO_TS.BUP
12/13/2008 05:54 PM 6,144 VIDEO_TS.IFO
12/13/2008 05:52 PM 77,824 VTS_01_0.BUP
12/13/2008 05:52 PM 77,824 VTS_01_0.IFO
12/13/2008 05:52 PM 1,073,709,056 VTS_01_1.VOB
12/13/2008 05:53 PM 1,073,709,056 VTS_01_2.VOB
12/13/2008 05:53 PM 1,073,709,056 VTS_01_3.VOB
12/13/2008 05:54 PM 1,073,709,056 VTS_01_4.VOB
12/13/2008 05:54 PM 198,891,520 VTS_01_5.VOB
9 File(s) 4,493,895,680 bytes

Check the dvd-video before burning to disk…see if it will play in VLC media player without problems. www.videolan.org

The files look fine as far as what you posted, but that won’t really tell us much other than the fact that DVDFlick seems to have successfully converted and authored the files.

Is that Samsung Dvd player fairly new?

thanks again for following this.
videolan plays the vobs ok, and thanks thats a great player
just to dbl chk the imgburn settings:

• write files /folders to disk
  • will try a 2x speed

oops sorry for the unfinished post
thanks again for following this.
videolan plays the vobs ok, and thanks thats a great player
just to dbl chk the imgburn settings, these look ok?

• write files /folders to disk
  • will try a 2x speed
  • iso9660 +udf
    -verify
    seems like 2x is the only thing havent’ tried yet

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86750

EDIT: Sorry I should mention the booktype part is because DVD+R blank media was used, booktyped to DVD-ROM which is the profile of a commercial Dvd. You are using -R, so you don’t have to worry about it.

the samsung is 2003 or 2004.
a possible other thing is that i’m copying the vob’s over my lan to the pc w/imgburn, i will copy them over to the imgburn machine and try a 2k burn. but before that attempt, does it make any difference what udf revision i’m using? so far the default was 1.02 so thats what i have used till now.

That’s fine.

thats disappointing, was able to play all the burns on a friends player, and i tried a 2x burn with the vob’s on the same pc as imgburn, with still no play. so i guess its either get a new player or see if i can somehow load some new firmware into the samsung. or i suppose get a new latest and greatest burner and try that. but overall since the discs play on another player thats probably 2 years old, that would be the higher probability move. but any suggestions for good general purpose burners?

dont feel like you’re alone bbxrider, i have a toshiba dvd player thats a little older that will not play my backed up movies, - or + r. Retired it and got an upconvert dvd player that plays them all. Very reasonably priced.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5584897

also, give this a look, http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=dvd-v3500&Submit=Search&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&chipset=&orderby=Name&hits=50, other users of your dvd player have listed certain media that they couldnt get to play either.

thanks for the advice, guess 40.00 for new major name player is a good price, any reason for the phillips? and upconversion? the videohelp.com is quite a site, looks like lotsa folks had problems with -r. i found my copies of both +r and -r that worked before, so still strange why it stopped now. going to try and reburn a prev one that worked and see if that one still works now using imgburn. pretty sure until recently i was using final burner, but its soooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww, hate to complain about a great piece of work thats for free, but was glad to find imgburn to replace fburner. will post result of reburn.

I did a little research thru consumer reports and looked for price/compatibility/product ratings and phillips ranked very high on their list. The reason i bought an upconvert is that I do compress my backups to single layer and watch them on a 37" 720p lcd tv. So the upconversion makes them look great.
Imgburn is a great burning program, its all i use.

I kind of figured that Samsung player, had a friend of mine here buy a brand new one, wouldn’t play any backed up discs, so he went out & bought a Phillips.