Dvd Playback

Hi everyone…forum newbie here.

I have been using dvdxcopy platinum for a couple of years with no major problems…dvd’s play in all of my players. With new copyright protection xcopy won’t copy some of the new releases. So I dl the latest ver of anydvd and clonedvd2 and put them to the test with Stealth…it copied flawlessly. However any movies copied will not play in my main dvd player which is a Pioneer dv578a.(they will play in my JVC xv-sa75) I’m using Sony dvd+r,(I normally use Verbatim) hp dvdwriter 400c. Is there anything I can change while burning to have my Pioneer player recognize disc? (again it played same media using xcopy) Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the Forum.
It is really an interesting phenomenon as Pioneer’s laser calibration is one of the best (much better than of JVC, btw).

Please, provide the following information if possible:

1. Burner type, firmware version.
  2. Media Code of the disc that does not play in the Pioneer.
  3. Make a try to burn with CloneDVD2 at the certified speed of medium used, that is set the burning speed in the software (not the “maximum”).

Different +R media plays with different compatibility in different players. +R is not compatible with many Players. You didn’t state what burner you have. Are you booktyping to DVD-ROM when you finalize?

Burner is an HP Dvd Writer 400c with latest firmware KH27. Media that won’t play in Pioneer after burning with Clonedvd2 is Sony dvd+r 8x speed. (they do play when burned with Xcopy). I do have speed set to maximum, but I don’t think my burner will go over 8x. Could Clonedvd2 not be burning the region code? I have it set for USA/Can
or is there something in Anydvd that I need to change to have player recognize?
Thanks for any help! Doogie

Whisperer1

I am not booktyping to anything, the program automatically finalizes…I guess?

Try getting CloneDVD2 to output an ISO file and then try ImageBurn or DVDDecrypter to see if using a different burn engine works - I guess this would be a good point for someone who knows a lot about the CloneDVD2 burn engine to comment!!

whisperer did give you good advice,with clone its best to set the booktype, your burner uses + disks and hp does have a compatibility setting. under hp dvd programs …it should be in mode 1…
but you can try mode 2

I know Sony -R is good media. Don’t know anything about their +R disks. Read of issues with HP burners. Sorry to contradict alex thyl’s advice, but I would set CloneDVD to burn 8x media at 4x speed and booktype to ROM. If your burner/firmware doesn’t allow for that, you might want to upgrade the burner. They are cheap nowadays.

Thanks to all for the advice:

However it does not make any sense to me why just last night and for the past year I have burned lots and lots of Sony and Verbatim dvd+r and they all work fine using Xcopy but when I use Clonedvd2 they only play in my JVC player. It has to be that the Pioneer player needs Clonedvd2 to add something it’s not- to be recognized. I’m not going to go replacing everything when I haven’t had any problems before. The only reason I switched to Anydvd and Clonedvd2 is because Xcopy Platinum is outdated…but I’m sort of glad I did cuz I like them better. Just need to figure out what’s missing so they play in my main dvd player.

P.S.- how do I adjust booktype?

Summary for drive H: (AnyDVD 5.6.1.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: HIDE_AND_SEEK_4X3
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Well as I figured something simple…I tried my Verbatim +r and they play just fine.
Pioneer dvd player just didn’t like the way Clonedvd2 burned the Sony +r. Oh well I’m stoked about it working…although I feel silly for it being something this simple, but that goes to show how there is a difference in the types of media and how some programs burn them and how others read them. Thanks again for everyone’s help!

Doogie

I would still booktype the Verbatim +r’s. Good insurance for future DVD players you may buy and for your friend’s players compatibility.

I am glad you have figured it out.

I checked and they are booktyed to dvd-rom.

Hey alex did I sense some sarcasm?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No. If I am sarcastic, you will learn it.

I was glad that you managed to solve the problem, as it is always a satisfaction for a user and of course for those, who tried to help.