Dvd playback problems with SH-203B

got a new Samsung SH-203B SATA burner connected to a Promise SATA controller PCI card. The Sammy can burn dvd but cannot playback dvd videos. All I get a distorted pictures with color bars and distorted audio. The ASUS m/b is a 3 yr with an Intel ICH5R chipset controller. Win XP Pro O/S. Talk to computer retailer before purchasing this combo and was told there are no problems using this setup. Any ideas as to fixing this problem. :confused: Thanks

Hi,

What card is this exactly?

The Sammy can burn dvd but cannot playback dvd videos. All I get a distorted pictures with color bars and distorted audio.
What about reading DVDs with data?
Audio and video distortions could also be a software issue. Please try another player software like VLC.

To check if the drive is running in DMA mode, run Promise Disc Controller Manager. If it is not installed, you should find it on the CD that came with the controller or grab it from www.promise.com

Output should look like this:

Michael

Michael, still got playback problems. Everything you indicated I’ve got. The Promise Manager shows my Sammy running as UDMA-5. I’ve used three different software to playback (VLC,ASUS DVD,Nero Showtime). They all exhibit the same problems, distorted colour bars and distorted audio. Any other ideas? :confused:

Sorry, forgot to tell you I’ve got a Promise SATA 300 TX4 controller.

Hi,

Do you have reading errors with plain data DVDs? Testing would mean to sacrifice a disc. Burn data of different size onto the disc and compare the files with the source file on your HDD.

The Promise Manager shows my Sammy running as UDMA-5.
I would have expected, the drive is shown as UDMA2 as all other Samsung drives. But I don’t know if this an issue or a feature with the 203B.
I’ve used three different software to playback (VLC,ASUS DVD,Nero Showtime). They all exhibit the same problems, distorted colour bars and distorted audio. Any other ideas? :confused:
Do you have other drives installed in your system? Also, what discs have you tried? Self-made video DVDs on DVD+/-R, bought video DVDs?

My onboard PDC20579 (SATA II 150) is using the same drivers, but unfortunately I don’t have any SATA ODD to try, since I had killed my 163 :frowning: But it did work without any problems.

Michael

tried playing my own original and duplicated movies with no success. my other dvd burner plays fine in the ide connector. The Sammy will play fine if I connector the SATA cable directly into my m/b SATA connector. So, I ruled out the Sammy as being defective so far. I can burn my movies on the Sammy and run CD-Speed tests. The only thing I cannot do is playback movies. I’ve contacted Promise with my problems.They have not respond as of yet. I can have burn and verify data integrity with no issues. I have not come across anything in the Promise web site or the owner’s manual addressing the issue of connecting SATA optical drives to the controller card. With respect to Promise carding identifying the Sammy as UDMA-5, I think it identifying the optical drive as being a hard drive because UDMA-5 is what is assign to all my hard drives during boot-up messages.

This controller is not made to work with optical drives.
If its work then this is a hit and miss. Not only because of NCQ.
http://www.promise.com/product/datasheet_list_eng.asp?productId=139

I also have this promise sata card and have the same issue with dvd playback. In addition to the Samsung sata drive I have a Lite-On sata that does the same thing. I had come to the conclusion that it was the card/driver also.

Burning, ripping & reading isn’t a problem, it’s just the playback that’s an issue for me. I have the TCQ enabled if that makes a difference.

@chef,

I’m also having issues flashing my sh-203b(it’s stuck in safe mode now), could it be the card? I flashed my sata lite-in with no problems.

I didn’t see on your link where it specifically said the card doesn’t work with ODDs, just that ODDs aren’t mentioned?

“Support Serial ATAPI devices”

If its work then this is a hit and miss. Not only because of NCQ.
NCQ is off by default and has to be enabled manually with PDCM.

Michael

Hi,

If another drive has the same issue, then there might indeed be something wrong with the card.

Burning, ripping & reading isn’t a problem, it’s just the playback that’s an issue for me. I have the TCQ enabled if that makes a difference.
Please disable that option since it is only intended for HDD.

I’m also having issues flashing my sh-203b(it’s stuck in safe mode now), could it be the card? I flashed my sata lite-in with no problems.
Samsung firmware updates indeed fail often on several controllers. Try to flash again and watch the progress bar. Don’t klick on “OK” if you get a failure warning, but wait until the progress bar reaches its end.

I didn’t see on your link where it specifically said the card doesn’t work with ODDs, just that ODDs aren’t mentioned?
Me neither. “Support Serial ATAPI” means for me “Supports SATA ODD”.

It is also worth trying older drivers, maybe they broke something with their latest releases.

Michael

Quote:

Please disable that option since it is only intended for HDD.

I’m also running a sata HDD off the card.

Samsung firmware updates indeed fail often on several controllers. Try to flash again and watch the progress bar. Don’t klick on “OK” if you get a failure warning, but wait until the progress bar reaches its end.

Tried several flashes (at least 6). Always got a “download OK”, never got a failure, always waited until the bar reached the end.

I’ve just ordered a new sata card with a Silicon Image chipset recommended by locoeng. Don’t think I’ll receive it before monday but I will report back on results.

Hi :slight_smile:
For the card above to stand any chance of working with ODDs. The bios would have to be flashed 1st.
I do not know if there is such a bios*.
It technically means ‘fooling’ the card into thinking it is something else. An older 150MBs card.
Then you still have to find the drivers to work with ODDs.
With controllers the ‘Serial ATA’s’ in context of ODD’s is not in itself a statement of compliance.
Unfortunately.
AS most of you know HD’s communicate somewhat differently to ODD’s.

• This flashing of the bios would also eliminate any need for the disabling of NCQ / TCQ.
    N.B. Have had a look at the downloads & nothing there likely to help fix any problems relating to ODDs. In the compatability charts only HDs are listed.

Just realized I hadn’t updated this thread with my results.

Thanks to zebadee’s suggestion, :bow: :bow: :bow: , I obtained a new sata controller card based on a Silicon Image chip and now everything works great! Playback is rock-solid, was able to flash my drive operational again and burns are better than ever. I even think burst mode is faster. :slight_smile:

Scanning now works past the layer break on DLs too!

I know, Michael, I’ve read that.
Anyway, it means not much, IMHO. :smiley: