DVD playback jerking on a PIII-1000mhz

hey guys

i got this major prob which i cant seem to get hold of, i am using a cdrom, cdrw and dvd drive and my movies jerk uknow under power dvd an dother wares too. and once when i removed the cdrom it became ok and was real smooth but its occuring again! any suggestions outthere? also could the data cable being twisted affect any performance?

I am using 133 256mb ram and got a 20gig LCT 5400rm maxtor

appreciate any comment u know i am using XP

did you have the dvd drive set as slave and the cd-rom set as master? When i had a slaved burner it simply would not peform for anything. Try setting the dvd as master and the cd-rom as slave.

I also had a problem watching a fullscreen dvd when i had my dektop resolution set to 1024x768. Once i lowered it to 800x600 it worked fine.

You definitly have enough ram and prcessing power because i was running mine on athlon 850 with 128mb ram.

also, check out www.doom9.org and read some of their dvd guides, those will probably also help you.

You posted this in the living room and probably should have been put in the general software or general hardware forum.

DMA enabled on all drives?
Also suggest you look at your screen resolution settings.

What kind of movies are you putting in there? If they are movies that include people like Jenna Jamieson or Tara Patrick and has titles that say “Asian Hardcore” and “100% anal”…I think the reason for your jerking is obvious. I don’t think you would need to bring those issues into a public forum either.

DVD should be no problem, I have a P3 866 (though 512 RAM and 7200 RPM disk) but you don’t even need that much. For Divx’s, shut down everything else. Also look at my last post here . MS has a patch for WMP. Perhaps that will help.

BadAscii wht kind of answer is that? U didnt help much so u r better off not answering thanx for nothign! as to the others it worked and i removed the slave and made it master but the problem is it worked for a couple of days and back to the original situation again!

MY machines real fast and i cant understand wht happened?

any of this happened to any1 else and its the same results on power dvdxp and windvd software too.

thanx

Have you confirmed that DMA is enabled for your DVD-ROM drive?

If it is not it will cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Thanx inertia for all the info but u wont believe ok! last wk i swear it was on (dma if available) and in return it chose dma for my dvd drive now today it says PIO mode like u said this is it? now even if i restart its PIO but if i again change from primary to secondary it changes.

has this happen to u? then again now i am on primary slave but it worked well on this (no difference betw. slave and master) its just that this dma is playing pucks with me. My drive is a asus 8x max tell me is there any device drivers or anything or could it be my mother board (gigabyte 6VTXE)

If you’re using XP, it can automatically reset the channel to PIO after a few errors occur. You can fix it my removing the controller from device manager and rebooting.

Relax, you’re not going crazy, it probably was on DMA last week. :bigsmile:

You didn’t say what operating system you are using, but if it’s WinXP it is well known for automatically and gratuitously disabling DMA. The fix for this is go to Device Manager and uninstall the IDE channel to which the device is attached. Upon rebooting the IDE channel will be reinstalled and hopefully the device will be redetected and installed with DMA enabled.

Moving from master to slave is not affecting the operation of the drive, but it is the redetection of the drive that is causing DMA to be reenabled. You have already proved that by temporarily fixing the problem by switching master to slave and vice versa.

As to your device drivers question, since your gigabyte 6VTXE mainboard has a VIA chipset, you could download and install the latest VIA 4in1 v4.43 Drivers. This usually helps in getting DMA to work properly.

What operating system are you using? :slight_smile:

ok i will DL the 4 in 1 and try this out and failing which i will remove the primary controller and let it auto detect

thanx will tell u when alls ok! rdgrimes and inertia

:wink:

Just watched Bad Company and the all time Gone in 60 secs with no probs! I think this about explains everything! thanx again Inertia and byrne Alls good with my baby now!

abt to thrash em!

thanx again!

I just hope it doesnt happen again i remember u saying that it would happen if its switched again but if happens without me doing anything will keep u guys informed!

hey byrnes and inertia whts up not so good i should say!

firstly that darn problem hpnd again ok! i have 4 in 1 VIA i removed the controller and exaclty a couple of days back to PIO its as if the pc is losing tis damn memory its wierd mate!

tell me have u faced some kind of shitty prob as this and its absurd right to keep uninstalling and installing the controller?

any advice welcome mate!

2 seconds

To edit this post into oblivion if that’s how you like it.

Hell i am in a country and a place where people say shit all the time i am cool with that i can handle it handled it very well really!

but when u r in a fix it helps to get some help instead of fooling around later on u can joke around its cool with me! Do u c any1 else on this forum who jokes around befoer giving advice!

so c wht i mean dude? an empty vessel makes more noise! i dont want ur sorrry, obviously wouldnt u be pissed if u got a good processor and shit and u got results like this, u aint no einstein!

and trust me i am the king of handling free speach how do u think i live with freaks all around ha ha!

Originally posted by Drahsire
[B]hey byrnes and inertia whts up not so good i should say!

firstly that darn problem hpnd again ok! i have 4 in 1 VIA i removed the controller and exaclty a couple of days back to PIO its as if the pc is losing tis damn memory its wierd mate!

tell me have u faced some kind of shitty prob as this and its absurd right to keep uninstalling and installing the controller?

any advice welcome mate! [/B]

This behavior is the undocumented reward that people get who rush out to buy and install Microsoft’s latest beta, called WinXP. It may eventually work reliably in a couple of more years. But for those people who can’t live without the latest hype offering from Microsoft, they should be prepared to deal with a lot of bugs.

Look around on the forums, and most operating system problems will be with WinXP. This is a repeat of the release of WinME, which was in many ways worse than Win98SE.

There is no fix for your problem at this time other than installing another operating system or continuing to remove the controller and reboot.

As entertaining as this is. I think these sort of arguments should be delegated to private messages. Arguments can be had moderator free if they are private. But if you involve the public forum in your personal arguments that are constantly escallating I see no recourse other than having a moderator to take some action. Just chill or keep it private. :cool:

If there is a moderator about, it would be appreciated if BadASCII’s flames were deleted.

He has been around long enough to know better.:frowning:

I deleted your last one BadASCII, and edited the previous one. As FlyingDutchman so eloquently put, please keep you private messages…private. There is no moderation over your PMs, feel free to argue with each other through that mode of communication. And Drahsire, no taunting eh?

Don’t worry. I removed my own post because I’d rather have nothing there than someone change my words…and this in my book is more unethical than flaming. Have a nice day.