DVD Playback (choppy) Problems in WMP 10 after installing Nero 6 Ultra and Updates

vbimport

Please help me!!! My DVD playback works great through Windows Media Player 10 using my Hardware DVD Decoder Card and current sustem setup. However, as soon as I installed Nero 6 Ultra, the playback is horrible-both sound and picture are extremely choppy! I contacted the folks at Nero and Microsoft, and neither of them are of no help. After installing Nero Ultra 6, Nero somehow nullified Windows Media Player 10 ability to detect and use my Hardware DVD Decoder drivers and codecs. I installed all the latest updates for Nero Ultra 6 and Windows XP, and the problem still exists. How do I remove Nero’s audio and video decoders that are used for playing back DVDs? I have to remove them, because this is the only way that Windows Media Player 10 will probably recognize my Hardware DVD Deocoder Board. Somehow, Nero is forcing the use of its DVD Decoding software upon us, while it nullifies everything else. For those of you with powerful PCs, you wont recognize this problem because your PCs can handle Neros software DVD decoding. However, for those of us who have slower PCs (and even Hardware DVD Decoder cards … which are better than software at playback), the problem exists. I want to use Neros other CD and DVD recording features, but the DVD playback is a problem. I would appreciate any help on this matter. Basically, how does one remove Neros proprietary DVD playback software? I know it’s Neros software that’s causing the problem, because when I uninstall Nero 6 Ultra, my DVD Playback under Windows Media Player 10 is perfect!!

Thanks,
CROMAG.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeAudio.ax and NeVideo.ax
Don’t delete these files!
For safety reason create New folder and move files in it.

And welcome to CD-Freaks, cromag! :slight_smile:

Maybe UDMA is to check too… Can slow down readings if disabled.

Hello!

Thanks for taking your time to read my message and analyzing the problem regarding “DVD Playback (choppy) Problems in WMP 10 after installing Nero 6 Ultra and Updates.”

Your advice on moving the files NeAudio.ax and NeVideo.ax in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter to a new folder, i.e., C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter Copied Files, seems to be working so far. I did not delete the files in their original location, but I renamed them to NeAudio_DISABLE.ax and NeVidio_DISABLE.ax.

Will this “fix” ruin the ability of Nero Ultra Suite 6.6 to burn files to CDs and DVDs, and also create back-up music CDs from other music CDs? I do understand that Nero Showtime will not work because of this “fix,” but what about the rest of functionality of Nero Ultra Suite 6.6?

The people at Nero did not help me with this problem at all. They told me that it’s my hardware and that I should buy a new PC. My WMP 10 stopped playing DVDs properly as soon as I installed Nero. When I uninstalled Nero, the DVDs played well again on WMP 10, so it is definitely Neros plan to push their DVD decoding upon its customers. They sure did not want to tell me exactly which files were causing the problem, but you did, and I appreciate it. Nero technical support is a waste of time, and they are very rude.

Another question, can I find out which decoders my WMP 10 is using? Is it using my Hardware Decoder card and associated drivers, or is it using DVD drivers that are probably built into one of my DVD programs, i.e., DVD Cloner, DVD XCopy Gold, or still in Nero?

The proposed DMA solution that many people recommended that I try to fix the choppy DVD Playback problem was not a valid solution. I already tried this and I’ve come to the conclusion that it was Nero’s software sticking its DVD playback drivers and blocking the other setup that worked prior to installation of the Nero Suite.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Cromag.
:slight_smile:

The proposed DMA solution that many people recommended that I try to “fix the choppy DVD Playback problem” was not a valid solution for my particular case. I already tried this and I’ve come to the conclusion that it was Nero’s software sticking its DVD playback drivers and blocking the other setup that worked prior to installation of the Nero Suite.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Cromag.

Hello cromag!

{Will this “fix” ruin the ability of Nero Ultra Suite 6.6 to burn files to CDs and DVDs, and also create back-up music CDs from other music CDs? I do understand that Nero Showtime will not work because of this “fix,” but what about the rest of functionality of Nero Ultra Suite 6.6?}

It seems Plextools doesn’t use 3rd party codecs for copying Audio CD’s so i dare to say that everything will be fine with Nero. :slight_smile:

{The people at Nero did not help me with this problem at all. They told me that it’s my hardware and that I should buy a new PC.}

The best tech support is Club CD-Freaks forum! :iagree:

{Another question, can I find out which decoders my WMP 10 is using? Is it using my Hardware Decoder card and associated drivers, or is it using DVD drivers that are probably built into one of my DVD programs, i.e., DVD Cloner, DVD XCopy Gold, or still in Nero?}

Change NeAudio_DISABLE.ax and NeVidio_DISABLE.ax. to their original names. Then start Windows Media Player and go to Tools>Options>Performance>Advanced
You will see there someting like this. (see my picture.)
Sorry! My Windows XP is russian.

If your preffered decoder is software change to hardware. Click OK.
Close WMP and start it again. Try to play DVD-movie.If the playback is fine-your trouble with Nero has flown away. If not-let us know. Maybe someone else can help you!

Good Luck! :slight_smile:

I’ve checked if Nero uses NeAudio.ax and NeVideo.ax for burning or not.
I started Nero and opened new project and added files. Then started burning in simulation mode. Then started WinHex>Open RAM. I didn’t see these files in the list of modules in Nero process. But if i start Nero Show Time or WMP and play DVD-movie with them these files are in use. So you can burn your disks safety without these files.

Your issue may stem from other software installed “DVD Cloner, DVD XCopy Gold”, download and install Gspot from this link: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot221.exe install when finished open the Application click on View>install codes>Video.

Cromag, if you look under options in WMP, then click on the DVD tab, then click on advanced, it will show you which decoder you are using.

Thank you all for responding. I will not use Nerto Showtime to view DVD Movies. Obviously, Nero Showtime bombs out when I try to use it to play DVD movies after I’ve renamed NeAudio.ax and NeVidio.ax. I will also try to install http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot221.exe.

thanks,
CROMAG.

I have a similar problem. Nero Showtime plays most DVDs with no problem. However when I attempt to play a DVD created with PremierePro1.5, Showtime playback creeps very slowly, almost hangs. Try to play with WMP - same result, but if I disable (rename) only the Nero audio codec (NeAudio.ax), the video track plays perfectly in WMP (without sound). Showtime of course fails with one of its codecs disabled. Playing Premiere DVDs with WinDVD4 and there is no problem (I assume it uses different codecs).

So this appears to be a problem with Showtime’s audio codec when playing Premiere DVDs. I would like Showtime to work as otherwise it’s a good program.

I just stumbled across this thread which closely matches my problems. I have WMP 10 and Nero 6 installed too…and my problem is that there is no audio at all. The video is fine. If I go to WMP options and select DVD and then click advanced, it comes up with a Nero Digital window. In this Nero window I noticed that it defaulted to 6.1 digital as the souns configuration. I only have 2 channel however, and as soon as I clicked on 2ch Stereo it fixed the problem. However, this change doesn’t stick! Every time I re-open WMP it goes back to 6.1…no sound!!! Help!!! Would the above solution work for me? Or do I have a different problem given that my video is fine.

My mother baord has a built-in realtek ac-97 audio. I have chosen this (from memory) as the “Audio device to use” in the options/devices settings. Should I have left it at the “default DirectSound device”…what ever that means?

Hello, thank you for your post, I have the exact same problem. Moving the files helped the choppy audio, but the video is about 1/2 a second behing the audio still… like a sticking VCR tape. mssnodgrass

Good post everyone. I had a similar problem with Liteon DVD recorder 5005 recorded video (PCM audio) playback with similar audio problem (but only at 1.5x playback speed). The solution for me was to replace these two Nero*.ax files with the ones from an older version of showtime (v 2.0.0.44). After that, the playack was fine with the audio.

Good thread. Nero 7 seems to have similar effect on audio and video. I will have to try some of these suggestions out.

Yeah, it’s an old topic but most of my hardware is circa 2004-5 anyways so it is current for me :wink:

I just purchased a Lite-On 20x drive with Nero Essentials 7 and have to say it has been frustrating. My machine is pretty powerful but I didn’t realize that the default codec for Windows Media Player was going to be replaced by Nero’s. According to Microsoft support the plugin isn’t even compatible with WMP 11 but they have a hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935957 Problem is neither fix my problem - no sound at all when trying to play a DVD movie in the drive. Uninstalling Nero leaves the DVD option in WMP with the advanced button grayed out. Did Nero completely remove the original codec? None of the options under advanced worked when Nero was installed. Even more frustrating is I tried one time to do as minimal of a custom install as possible, installing basic burning tools only, and still got the codec. Nero support was useless. I tried removing the two files as this thread mentions but was stuck with the grayed out advanced button under DVD as well. Any ideas how to fix? XP (and same thing in Vista). Also have a soundblaster XiFi card.

I’m having the same exact problem. I installed a trial version of nero 9, which caused a slowdown of dvd’s in WMP. The only problem is I uninstalled nero and I still have the problem with WMP. There is no “ahead” folder under common files as I’ve already uninstalled the program. Any other ideas?

Thanks

help!!! i have a similar problem. i instaled nero 8 and now i have no audio in WMP 10. i don’t want to stop nero from working properly but i want all of my software to work without screwing the others up please help!

Hi and Welcome!

I guess, it’s Nero Direct show filters that now messed up your playback capabilities. In case you have other video playback software (like WinDVD, PowerDVD etc.) installed, I suggest to reinstall that DVD player software.

Michael