DVD Platinum rips VERY SLOW

vbimport

Okay, I haven’t used DVD Platinum in a while. Probably since last fall.

But now I have a DVD I would like to backup, and all of a sudden my ripping rate maxes out at 3.25 MB/ second.

My old burner died, so I went out and bought a new Sony burner that I know works.

I tried resetting the DMA in Platinum, but with no luck.

I even looked at the IDE channels which shows that it’s set at DMA and not PIO, but the transfer mode says “Not applicable”.

So please tell me I can fix this. Thank you.

[QUOTE=B4Bronco6;2112573]Okay, I haven’t used DVD Platinum in a while. Probably since last fall.

But now I have a DVD I would like to backup, and all of a sudden my ripping rate maxes out at 3.25 MB/ second.

My old burner died, so I went out and bought a new Sony burner that I know works.

I tried resetting the DMA in Platinum, but with no luck.

I even looked at the IDE channels which shows that it’s set at DMA and not PIO, but the transfer mode says “Not applicable”.

So please tell me I can fix this. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

There are a few ways, try the link below in my signature"Checking DMA" if the button in DVDFab does not work…also check in the BIOS and make sure it is enabled for your drive.

Edit… some drives need a 80 wire IDE cable to support DMA, so I’ve been told anyway

So, it says “not applicable”…

Should it?

I have 3 primary/3 secondary

That’s the picture of the third secondary.

Please anyone? I leave for Drake tomorrow, and my PC has the burner which works.

[QUOTE=B4Bronco6;2112664]Please anyone? I leave for Drake tomorrow, and my PC has the burner which works.[/QUOTE]

Sorry was watching a newly releasted movie online :smiley:
anyway with that many primary and secondary IDE channels how many drives/burnners are hooked up to your system ? also is it all of them you have this trouble with or just the one ?

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2112746]Sorry was watching a newly releasted movie online :smiley:
anyway with that many primary and secondary IDE channels how many drives/burnners are hooked up to your system ? also is it all of them you have this trouble with or just the one ?[/QUOTE]

I have one DVD driver: Sony DRU-840A.

It’s the only one I have.

I have burned things fine with it, but this is my first ripping experience with it, and it’s just terrible.

I think I would try re-cabling so that the read optical drive is not sharing a controller with anything else, especially your HDD. Looks like you may have some room to try this in the controller department :). I think it says “not applicable” with SATA drives (not sure, don’t have any).

[QUOTE=signals;2112750]I think I would try re-cabling so that the read optical drive is not sharing a controller with anything else, especially your HDD. Looks like you may have some room to try this in the controller department :). I think it says “not applicable” with SATA drives (not sure, don’t have any).[/QUOTE]

Well, the third Primary/Secondary IDE channel show

The third Primary IDE channel says: Ultra DMA Mode 5 for transfer mode

The third Secondary IDE channel says: Ultra DMA Mode 4 for transfer mode.

I have no idea what I would recable. I have the IDE cable connected to the back of the Sony dvd drive, along with some little white clip labled #2 lol!

That’s what it looks like… and it stays around that MB throughout the rip.

Is CPU usage high during the process? Check all your primary and secondary channels to see if you find a drive in PIO mode. If a part says “not applicable”, that means that your drive isn’t connected there.

In your previous screenshot, what was the drive that’s operating in UDMA mode 4?

Make sure the jumper on the back of the drive is set properly for how you have it connected to the cable.

[QUOTE=Albert;2112782]Is CPU usage high during the process? Check all your primary and secondary channels to see if you find a drive in PIO mode. If a part says “not applicable”, that means that your drive isn’t connected there.

In your previous screenshot, what was the drive that’s operating in UDMA mode 4?

Make sure the jumper on the back of the drive is set properly for how you have it connected to the cable.[/QUOTE]

No CPU usage is not high. Even though it wasn’t, I still hit the “reset DRM” button.

The drive that was operating in UDMA mode 4 was the third “Secondary IDE Channel”.

It driver provider is from Microsoft.

But I’m using my Sony DRU 840A. I heard that has a riplock.

My jumper in the back is connected to the Sony driver. (If that’s even what a jumper is) along with the P2 Power cable.

[quote=B4Bronco6;2112777]
…image deleted…
That’s what it looks like… and it stays around that MB throughout the rip.[/quote]It should speed up gradually, peaking in the middle if the original is a DL, peaking at the end if it is SL at anywhere from 6-9 MB/s depending on the drive’s read capabilities. Having the HDD and optical drive on the same channel can reduce the speed dramatically. CPU usage is not normally very high on a DVD to DVD rip. It can reach 100% with DVD to Mobile.

[QUOTE=signals;2112789]It should speed up gradually, peaking in the middle if the original is a DL, peaking at the end if it is SL at anywhere from 6-9 MB/s depending on the drive’s read capabilities. Having the HDD and optical drive on the same channel will reduce the speed dramatically. CPU usage is not normally very high on a DVD to DVD rip. It can reach 100% with DVD to Mobile.[/QUOTE]

Okay noob terminology.

Optical Drive… is that my Sony?

HDD? Hard disk drive?

I looked into my computer… .and saw that the cables were connected the same way to this new burner, as they were to my old one. I have no idea why I have 3 sets of 3 Primary/secondary channels when I only have 1 IED and 1 power cable connected to the Sony DVD drive.

I… I’m just lost and confused, and ready to beat my PC.

EDIT: please download Nero InfoTool from here: http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html . Follow the directions on that page up to step 11. For step 12, please copy & paste the contents of that text file here. Insert them in [CODE*]yourtexthere[/CODE*], making sure to remove the *'s and put your text where it says “yourtexthere”. That’s what I’d like you to do first.[QUOTE=B4Bronco6;2112788]The drive that was operating in UDMA mode 4 was the third “Secondary IDE Channel”.[/QUOTE]No, I mean, do you know what drive is connected to that secondary IDE channel? Whether it’s a hard drive, the DRU-840A, or something else?

But I’m using my Sony DRU 840A. I heard that has a riplock.
No riplock. [I back this up, as I have the drive].
My jumper in the back is connected to the Sony driver. (If that’s even what a jumper is) along with the P2 Power cable.
The jumper is on the back of the drive, and is for you to set the drive as Master or Slave on an IDE cable, depending on how the drive is already set. Check the documentation that came with the drive [I know that it should have this information in the documentation] for more of an explanation on this.

If you don’t have the documentation that came with the drive… http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/210#documents

[quote=B4Bronco6;2112791]Okay noob terminology.

Optical Drive… is that my Sony? [B]CORRECT![/B]

HDD? Hard disk drive? [B]CORRECT![/B]

I looked into my computer… .and saw that the cables were connected the same way to this new burner, as they were to my old one. I have no idea why I have 3 sets of 3 Primary/secondary channels when I only have 1 IED and 1 power cable connected to the Sony DVD drive.

I… I’m just lost and confused, and ready to beat my PC.[/quote]Beating it may make you fell better but is not generally helpful. I wish I could be of more help. It sounds like you have a nice motherboard with lots of I/O (input/output) resources that are not being taken advantage of by the way the drives are hooked to it. To get back to something Albert mentioned, see if you can determine which drive it is that is being reported in UDMA4 mode (should be a HDD). All this is wasted effort if the Sony has riplock. There may be 3rd party firmware that will get around it. I’ve never had one so I’m not sure. But I am sure that the Sony and you HDD should ideally not be on the same controller if at all possible. DVDFab uses these devices at the same time during the read-and-decrypt-and write temp file part of the process.

[QUOTE=Albert;2112795]No, I mean, do you know what drive is connected to that secondary IDE channel? Whether it’s a hard drive, the DRU-840A, or something else?No riplock.The jumper is on the back of the drive, and is for you to set the drive as Master or Slave on an IDE cable, depending on how the drive is already set. Check the documentation that came with the drive [I know that it should have this information in the documentation] for more of an explanation on this.

If you don’t have the documentation that came with the drive… http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/210#documents[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply. Sorry I sound like such a dope at this. I’m usually pretty good with PC’s, but this internal stuff is swarming me. :frowning:

I took the PC apart to specifically look at this, and it is set as Master.

As for the drive, I have no idea what drive is connected to that IDE channel. The IDE cable is connected to the Sony driver if that has anything to do with it… Sorry, I just don’t know. :(.

Is there a way I could find out?

Re-check my post, please. I edited. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2112801]Re-check my post, please. I edited. :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Currently doing that now.

Okay I think I did the upload right.

Edit: Sorry, .TXT was too big.

InfoTool.doc (185 KB)

i want to appoligize to everyone for this posting. :bigsmile:

your dvd drive seems to be detected correctly. are you ripping to a USB drive? i see where you have a USB mass storage device, but this could be a MP3 player? PCI IDE controller, maybe your controller needs updated drivers or is going bad? maybe a lot of stuff. :confused:

DVD/CD-ROM drives

SONY DVD RW DRU-840A
	-----------------------------
	Driver
	Description         : CD-ROM Drive
	Company             : Microsoft
	Version             : 5.1.2535.0
	Date                : 7-1-2001
	File Name           : cdrom.inf

Interface/Features
	Interface           : Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
	Parent Interface    : Secondary IDE Channel
	Feature             : Supported DMA modes: UDMA 0-4
	Feature             : Current DMA mode: UDMA 4

Display Name : DVDFab Platinum 4.0.5.0 Ghosthunter release

looks like you have way too many programs installed including a cracked version of dvdfab. with all the crap you have installed no wonder you need hijackthis. :cool: im just surprised you are able to get anything done on this computer. :confused:

might be best to just reinstall the OS and start over?