Dvd picture Quality deterioration

Hello Everyone,

It seems like I am having one problem after another these days with my movie backups! I did a forum search and didnt find much, so I decided to start a thread.
Todays delima. I have noticed just recently with many of my movies burned three to four months ago that the picture quality is deteriorating. Where the picture looked perfect at one point in time now it has lots of pixelation around many of the dark scenes, backgrounds, and faces. I ran a new quality scan on one disk this morning and it appears that the disk quality itself has deteriorated since it was first burned. It hasnt deteriorated much, but it does make me wonder. Its not so much that the disk is showing a little deterioration physically its that now the picture quality looks so bad, i dont even want to watch the movie because it looks almost like a vhs.

Verbatim MCC004
Compressed with Rebuilder/ HC encoder
Burned with Sony DRU 820A Firmware 1.0b and VSO copy to dvd software
TV and dvd player has not changed

Has anyone heard of this happening before? And espescially after such a short period of time. Is there anything I can do about it?

1st-Old Scan
2nd-New Scan

The scans are identical except for the spike at 0.2GB. This must be a scratch or a speck of dirt on the disc? There’s no evidence for deteriorating picture quality in the remainder of the disc here.

Besides, the picture quality doesn’t “deteriorate”. It’s impossible. Reading issues will induce huge macroblocks, freezes and skips, not “picture degradation”.

Your second scan is fine, this PIE spike is nothing to worry about (as Cressida mentions, probably some dust or another impurity on the surface), so either your [I]player[/I] is starting to have problems, either you’re seeing things that you simply didn’t notice before. This is no insult: if you’re new to the DVD world, it’s quite normal. I had the same problem. Your expectation in terms of picture quality gets growing, so what you found outstanding 2-3 months ago now seems mediocre to your eyes. That’s life. :frowning:

But maybe your [I]player[/I] has issues… My good old Pioneer DV-535 started to give lower image quality before having more serious issues. :sad:

I had a TV repair shop for about 8 years. I think Francksoy is right. You get used to what you looking at and start to notice litle things. You are getting mor discerning, a good thing. You may want to look farther down the line at the TV/projector of what ever it is you are watching DVD’s on. I have had customers that did not realize that their TV’s would set to factory default if they were unplugged (sometimes the contrast goes all the way up). I would check these type of things. You never know.

Actually I have done lots of DVD backup copy and some of them have experienced very bad detoriation because was using unreliable media when I was ‘newbee’ (‘famous’ Ritek G05)

Even with huge degradation (sometimes over 100,000 PI Failure on disc!) the picture quality was exactly what it was when burned at 1st.

Did you compressed your backup? I never compressed any movie expet some cartoon kids (split on 2 disc if too long) because on my 50 inchs Toshiba HDTV some artifacts will be affecting image quality.

Perharps have you recently upgrade yotu main TV?
I said that because I have notice that compressed movie can be seen on my old 26 inchs TV without notice any degradation but on my new 50 inches it’s very bad!

I have an LCD Projector and any compression under 90% is almost unviewable. At 80 inches you see everything. Sometimes the original looks like crap, especially if the DVD has both full screen and widescreen on it.

Some 3 hours movies should be horrible on the monnster screen you have!!! I think Blue Ray and HD DVD was more in your target in the future!!!

What PJ do you have? I have a Panasonic AE100 which came out 4 years ago and even DVD’s at 50% still look excellent (I watch in the dark). I also have a 80" diagonal screen.

It all depends on the original bitrate. The higher the average is, the more compression (or reduction for DVD Rebuilder) can be used and still look good. I think it helps being in PAL as bitrates are often higher than NTSC DVD’s.

I did the Theatrical Version of Return of the King at 3 hours 20 minutes with DVD Shrink (Deep Analysis and AEC Sharp). It looked great and even better than what came out of DVD Rebuilder (CCE 3 passes). I haven’t had many DVD’s do better in Shrink compared to DVD Rebuilder but it is possible.