DVD overburn?

vbimport

I’m tired of having to rearrange files when I’m a few MB over the limit. I’m looking for a new DVD writer.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a list of DVD-overburn capable drives?
  2. Are these $30 LiteOn 16x, 18x DVD burners on newegg.com overburn capable?
  3. How much more data in general can a drive overburn? What software do I use to find out the overburn capacity?

Thanks a lot for the help,

cpliu

No the Liteons cannot overburn. You can only overburn +R BTW. Overburn capable drives I can think of are Benq 1620/40/50/55 and Plextors (not sure which ones cannot, I think most can). I don’t know of any other burners that can overburn, though someone else will mention them I’m sure if they exist. With a lot of media you can overburn to around 4600MB, so an extra 120MB roughly. The most you can expect to overburn is around 4620MB or a few MB more. You really just need to burn the disc and scan/test it afterwards to see how it did - some discs do very poorly in the overburn area, others do fine. My suggestion would be to look in the Benq forum and read the ‘Benq drives are disappearing’ thread for info on how and where to find one since they’re getting tough to find now.

Some BenQ and Plextor drives will overburn +R media’s. Not sure about the Lite-On drives. Do a search on over burning and see what you find here.

Edit:
scoobiedoobie :wink: beat me to it.

Thanks for the help. I will check benq threads. Just to be sure, overburned DVDs are readable on other DVD readers not limited to BenQ, right? I had a CD that writes DD and it can only be read on its own drive. I don’t want ot make the same mistake.

Thanks,

cpliu

The other drives I’ve tried the discs in read them fine. However, all of my standalone DVD players have serious problems reading any of the data in the overburned area. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever been able to play any of the overburn area data in any of my players, even though the burn quality is fine. Oftentimes this data at the edge of the disc is trailers, credits, and other less important data though. But from a computer data standpoint I’ve not had problems reading the discs.

That is the problem with almost any standalone, I think. :rolleyes:

Any other Benq models than Benq 1620 can overburn DVD? Overburn feature is not listed as tech specs at any venders. It’s hard to tell from looking at the inventories.

Thanks,

The DW1640, DW1650 and DW1655 can also overburn DVD+R media.

Yeah, I assumed so considering I had the same issue with about 4 different players.

As I said in my first post, the 1620/40/50/55 all support it. Even older Benqs might support it but I’m not sure and probably irrelevant to you. :stuck_out_tongue:

The 1620 supports overburn? I’m quite certain only SB capable Nexperia-chipset BenQ drives supported that ability. Which firmware is required to enable this on the 1620?

You are right. The DW1620 doesn’t support overburning of DVD media.

Will BenQ 1620 Overburn DVD +/- R? (> 4482 MB?)

Sorry if I caused confusion, I’m used to mentioning the 1620 in the same conversation as the 1640/50/55 drives. I haven’t actually attempted to overburn with the 1620.

Thanks for the information. I didn’t read clearly and thought the numbers afterwards were CD speed instead 1640, 1650, 1655, etc. After reading another thread on BenQ disappearing from market. It seems very hard to find the drive now. Plextor is way too expensive at $100. So only BenQ and Plextor support overburn and not these LiteOn drives available at newegg.com??

My Plextor 755A can overburn my Verbatim MCC004 without probs.

Why overburn. Just buy a DL media. or another blank DVD. The problem with overburn is where will the disk be readable besides the drive that burned it.

Some users just want it for the geekness,others to burn 2 or 3mbs more than the disc allows without sacrificing a DL for that extra 2 or 3mb’s.

I tend to agree with the latter.

I sometimes end up with DVD files that are just over the 4.38 GB mark. The extra few megabytes can definitely help make a difference.

That’s the exactly why I would like to overburn. I would have more cushion in organizing files to DVD.
How about Benq DQ60 BG? Can it overburn?

Thanks,

I believe that is a Teac in disguise.