DVD + or -?

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2064421]
However I believe there’s a fairly large amount of people who think it has mythical abilities to prevent skipping/playback issues.[/QUOTE]

You mean it doesn’t? Well damn :stuck_out_tongue:

:wink:

Yeah, the problem is, there are people who think that bitset DVD+R is more compatible than DVD-R. That’s a complete lie.

DVD-R is the king of compatiblity, and bitsetting just helps DVD+R to catch up.

I’m not sure how such ridiculous misinformation got propagated in the first place.

I’ve seriously not seen anyone saying bitsetting can prevent playback issues (skipping, freezing etc)…I must be looking in the wrong places.

Exactly…but I thought everyone knew that LOL :doh:

Hi :slight_smile:
Haven’t voted as the option I don’t really care, don’t use RW’s isn’t there. :stuck_out_tongue:
As I don’t use RW discs of any nature.
SL media is now cheap enough to use & throw away if necessary. :doh:
As for +/-, I do tend to go on price/availability.
Though for longevity in my experience + media appears to do better.
But this is also writer/setup etc related.
So how much weight this carries is probably a mute point. :wink:
Ironically + media is actually more constant in the burning process (less errors etc).
Though the dye colour plays an important part too. Especially with games consoles.
So a combination of the right media (brand/coating) is possibly as important (if not more so) as whether you bitset or not.
For gamers the best combo appears to be Pioneer/VerbatimDL(+)/Bitset.

[quote=Womi;2064419]…my XBox 1 barely reads any +R (some MCCs, no Yuden) but every -R I throw in it.[/quote]That used to be the case with me, but somehow, after a few series of drives and media, I find that I can get +R to work just as well as -R in my Xbox now.

I’m not sure what’s being done differently [sometimes DVD-ROM booktyped then, sometimes booktyped now], except maybe the drives have gotten better at writing. [Even recently, I had a CMC MAG M01, whose burned content was a movie, with fairly mediocre burn quality be read back almost flawlessly].

So now, I personally have no reason to consciously choose -R over +R, and I go straight for the +R discs that provide me with the fewest issues while being semi-cheap [Ricoh MIDs, for me; another reason I go for +R is my good results with Ricoh media].

[quote=negritude;2064416]There is nothing on the planet that won’t play a DVD-R.[/quote] The DVD Player database on VideoHelp reports that out of 4824 players tested, 4524 of them support playing DVD-R and 300 do NOT support playing DVD-R.

93.8% supports playing DVD-R
6.2% do NOT support playing DVD-R

4297 players were not tested.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2064425]Exactly…but I thought everyone knew that LOL[/QUOTE]

Hehe, it’s not as bad as people who post threads about getting bad scans (whilst using Pioneers to scan) :stuck_out_tongue: But I generally do think there’s a number of people who don’t understand what it actually does.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2064425]Haha, you just pretty much described my trusty old Philips. Which I keep around for the moment for two reasons: 1. It plays nearly everything I throw at it (except CMC +R media (!) and burned DL discs, but I don’t use the latter anyway), and 2. I don’t have the funds right now to replace it.

So two reasons why I keep this fairly old player around. But as mentioned I still don’t need bitsetting[/QUOTE]

Does it even reject the brilliant CMC MAG E01?? Or just the M01?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2064447]The DVD Player database on VideoHelp reports that out of 4824 players tested, 4524 of them support playing DVD-R and 300 do NOT support playing DVD-R.

4297 players were not tested.[/QUOTE]

Be interesting to see if those that don’t play -R actually play +R bitset instead? Is it because they might not physically be able to read the burnt media?

After many years of burning discs , both data and video, I have come to use only +R media and always bitset the media to DVD-ROM. In my opinion +R has the advantage over dash media, speed is not a factor for me, I always burn everything at 12X or 8X. I only use 2 media codes, MCC004, and Yuden 000 T02-000. It always seemed weird to me that if you see a poll most time more people are using dash media than +. But when you go to buy at any online site, its only the dash that are on sale, example with 8X Taiyo Yuden, there are never any sales on YudenT02, but always sales on TYG-02. I always understood dash was more compatible with standalones, but I believe those times are changing. Just my take.:wink:

[quote=cd pirate;2064449]Be interesting to see if those that don’t play -R actually play +R bitset instead? Is it because they might not physically be able to read the burnt media?[/quote] That information is not available from VideoHelp, unfortunately. There are also no statistics on DVD+R bitset to DVD-ROM (only on DVD+R regardless of booktype) on VideoHelp.

Those statistics are 4394 players tested, 3992 support playing DVD+R and 402 do NOT support playing DVD+R. Booktype information not available.

90.85% support playing DVD+R
9.15% do NOT suport playing DVD+R

4727 players were not tested

A player could be unable to play recordable media because of the lower reflectivity, or because it looks at disc type or booktype and refuses to play.

I don’t know about more detailed statistics of this kind - but there are many that claim this or that based on the relatively few players they have tested themselves.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2064453]It always seemed weird to me that if you see a poll most time more people are using dash media than +. But when you go to buy at any online site, its only the dash that are on sale, example with 8X Taiyo Yuden, there are never any sales on YudenT02, but always sales on TYG-02. I always understood dash was more compatible with standalones, but I believe those times are changing. Just my take.;)[/QUOTE]

I’ve also noticed that (especially) in Australia almost all online sites will sell TYG02 but none ever sell T02. No idea why on earth they don’t. T03 is available with TYG03 though. Just no T02. Took me ages to actually find some T02 here (fuji branded). Thankfully someone from the forums spotted it for me, otherwise I’d have never used T02!

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2064448]Hehe, it’s not as bad as people who post threads about getting bad scans (whilst using Pioneers to scan) :stuck_out_tongue: But I generally do think there’s a number of people who don’t understand what it actually does.

Does it even reject the brilliant CMC MAG E01?? Or just the M01?[/QUOTE]

Haha, that’s true ;)…and I believe you, after all people buy into some strange burning myths/misinformation :wink:

LOL yep, it hates E01 as well (that’s the first CMC +R I tried, ended up using my E01s for data backup only after that) :eek:…have to say I haven’t tried AE1 with it though, might give it a go just for giggles :wink:

[QUOTE=negritude;2064416]DVD-R is actually even more compatible than bitset DVD+R. There are old players that are not fooled by bitsetting, and still won’t play a DVD+R. There is nothing on the planet that won’t play a DVD-R. The advantage of DVD+R bitsetting over DVD-R is a myth. Bitsetting only helps DVD+R catch up with DVD-R in terms of compatibility, but it doesn’t cause it to pass it.[/quote]Strange, so many seem to think differently. I’ve heard that some of these old players will play only DVD-ROM and refuse to play DVDR, dash or plus, unless it’s bitset. Are you 100% sure of what you’re saying?

I’m asking not to annoy you :flower:, but because there is so much conflicting info about that, on these boards and others… including several quite advanced users! Personally, I don’t have much experience in this area. I indeed haven’t met a player refusing to play DVD-R. What I met (and am still meeting) is low-end or no-name players that will play only specific brands/models of discs (probably because of reflectivity), but that’s another story. :slight_smile:

[OT][QUOTE=Arachne;2064459]Haha, that’s true ;)…and I believe you, after all people buy into some strange burning myths/misinformation ;)[/QUOTE]You don’t say?! :bigsmile:
[/OT]

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2064447]The DVD Player database on VideoHelp reports that out of 4824 players tested, 4524 of them support playing DVD-R and 300 do NOT support playing DVD-R.[/QUOTE]Now isn’t that the kind of “conflicting info” I was talking about in my previous post… :eek: thanks Drage! [QUOTE=DrageMester;2064454]I don’t know about more detailed statistics of this kind - but there are many that claim this or that based on the relatively few players they have tested themselves.[/QUOTE]And once again, I think you have the final word on the question… :bigsmile: :flower:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2064374]
DVD+RW is faster than DVD-RW (8x vs 6x)
[/QUOTE]

DVD+RW is faster from the specs, but more complicated. Real tests have shown this conclusion to be true.
Probably Verbatim 6x DVD-RW is the best (DVD)RW media available. :iagree:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2064447]The DVD Player database on VideoHelp reports that out of 4824 players tested, 4524 of them support playing DVD-R and 300 do NOT support playing DVD-R.

4297 players were not tested.[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen the often ridiculous and inaccurate data on videohelp, and would not take that as any indicator of reality. Unless we can get stats that show that the same players that allegedly would not play DVD-R, would in fact play a bitset DVD+R, I give no weight to those figures. The player itself could be such a complete piece of crap that nothing would work, or the DVD-R burns could be so poor as to be unreadable in any player. Who knows with the geniuses posting there.

In addition, a majority of those players not only are not on the market anymore, I doubt a majority of them were ever sold to more than one person, if that. Real world usage is what we’re talking about here.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2064491]What I met (and am still meeting) is low-end or no-name players that will play only specific brands/models of discs (probably because of reflectivity), but that’s another story. :)[/QUOTE]

Actually, it’s the same story. Unless you know why a player won’t play something, simply saying it doesn’t play something has no meaning. If a player won’t play a DVD-R, was it because the burn was bad? Was it because of poor reflectivity? Did the disk load, but freeze? Did the disk play but skip? Did the disk reach the main menu, but nothing else was accessible? Who knows? And that’s the problem, we don’t.

I’ve had nothing but great luck with either format on all 5 of my DVD players.
The only problems I’ve ever had was riteks & miscellaneous chinese garbage discs that people would pass to me & was no better than landfill :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course, I refuse to support dodgy manufacturers & avoid all poor quality media & now have just stocks of TY & Verb’s anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=negritude;2064971]I’ve seen the often ridiculous and inaccurate data on videohelp, and would not take that as any indicator of reality.[/quote] So you would rather have us believe your unsupported blanket statement, that there is no DVD player in the world that doesn’t play DVD-R media? I don’t think so! :disagree: