DVD+ or - : which has a better future

vbimport

I was hoping this post (DVD+R vs DVD-R ) would answer my question in regards to whether to choose +R or -R, but it didn’t.

My burner can burn + or - and my Sony home player can play either, also the Verbatims I am buying are the same price for + or -.

So what is the advantage on buying one or the other? I am thinking that in the future will one format be the dominant one and players won’t play the other (a bit like VHS and Beta). I would like to choose one format and stick to it but don’t want the hassles that in a few years when I change DVD players the format I have chosen isn’t really supported anymore, this is especially important with home movies that can’t really be replaced (BTW you probably can tell my use is movies not data)

Guys give me good reasons to choose one over the other - not price but other reasons like compatibility, longevity of the format, longevity of the written disc, etc.

personally i get better burns with + media than - media…but it seems all the newer home players mostly support - media(sony supports both types so does toshiba)…though with bitsetting i can fool most of them with my + media. who knows though whats going to happen not me…so ill just stick mostly with + media and bitsetting to DVD-ROM…and yes i know it may not work in all players.

thanks for the reply.

I just read another post from TerminalVeloCD(?) that a local store has Verbatim 8X +R for around the same price as the 4X Verbatims I was going to buy so it looks like the + path for me now somewhere locally has 8X discs (couldn’t find 8X anywhere)

I think all DVD players released from this point on will support both formats, so the players are not an issue. Any preference would lie in the media itself and not the player.

Frankly I don’t think it matters which you choose if your burner can bit set to DVD-ROM anyway.
There are more technical answers that may sway in one direction or another. But in real life situations my answer is that is doesn’t matter either way.

you live in the us ive seen prodisc 8x DVD+Rs at www.accaproducts.com for .85cents each…ill post some scans when i get them next week;)

BTW, crossposting is against forum rules. You should have simply clarified your request in your original thread and not created another topic. :cop:

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]I think all DVD players released from this point on will support both formats, so the players are not an issue. Any preference would lie in the media itself and not the player.

Frankly I don’t think it matters which you choose if your burner can bit set to DVD-ROM anyway.
There are more technical answers that may sway in one direction or another. But in real life situations my answer is that is doesn’t matter either way. [/B]

true most home players can play + now but alot dont say specifically that so im always worried if they can or not. but yes with bitsetting it does make life easier…note its very rare to see a drive able to bitset a dvd-r disk.

advantage of dvd-rs are only price in my opinion.

Originally posted by Jamos
true most can play + now but alot dont say that so im always worried if they can or not. but yes with bitsetting it does make life easier…note its very rare to see a drive able to bitset a dvd-r disk.

AFAIK it’s impossible to bit set a DVD-R disc (not to mention useless as setting to DVD-ROM is for all intents and purposes setting to DVD-R).

For your guys info, mabey just a weird coincidence, but…
I have a 811s burner and use Ritek G04s -R discs, backed up a movie, would not play on dvd player, but when I set the bit setting tool to DVD-ROM and burned the movie again, it played without a flaw. Can you explain that?

Originally posted by Psychtrip
For your guys info, mabey just a weird coincidence, but…
I have a 811s burner and use Ritek G04s -R discs, backed up a movie, would not play on dvd player, but when I set the bit setting tool to DVD-ROM and burned the movie again, it played without a flaw. Can you explain that?

It could have something to do with how media varies from batch to batch with Ritek and sometimes even within the same spindle. If you ahve a LiteOn drive, learn to use Kprobe and I have a feeling the errors will be much higher on the one that wouldn’t play compared to the one that would play.
What does DVDInfoPro say about the Book Type&Media Type of this G04 in question? Both should say DVD-R.

Originally posted by goldcoaster
[B]thanks for the reply.

I just read another post from TerminalVeloCD(?) that a local store has Verbatim 8X +R for around the same price as the 4X Verbatims I was going to buy so it looks like the + path for me now somewhere locally has 8X discs (couldn’t find 8X anywhere) [/B]

Scatch that, I could only find 4X discs at JB

BTW, crossposting is against forum rules. You should have simply clarified your request in your original thread and not created another topic. :cop:

Where did I cross post? Sorry if I did but I sure I didn’t.
The original thread wasn’t mine and I did not comment in it. I just mentioned it because the topic title suggests the same thing as mine but the other post was more about where to get cheap discs.

Thanks for the comments Jamos and SSeth, just what I was after. :slight_smile:

AFAIK it’s impossible to bit set a DVD-R disc (not to mention useless as setting to DVD-ROM is for all intents and purposes setting to DVD-R).

I thought the nu could trick dvd-rs into bitsetting dvd-rom?

I believe the book type setting on DVD-R discs is in a pre-pressed, non-recordable part of the disc…

changing the booktype to dvd-rom isn’t the same as setting it to dvd-r. there are players that will only play discs with booktype dvd-rom and will refuse discs with booktype dvd-r. i’ve tried setting my dvd+rs to all three major booktypes (dvd+r, dvd-r, dvd-rom), and dvd-r and dvd-rom are definitely not the same thing.

Anyone have a link that explains booktype setting. Can you do it with any DVD burner and any type of blank.

here’s a link on what booktype/bitsetting is. not all dvd burners support booktype changing (in fact, few do); the feature has to be supported within the drive’s firmware, and may require the use of third-party programs to manipulate the booktype. you can only change the booktype for dvd+r and dvd+rw (not dvd-r or dvd-rw).

Thanks AZImmortal.

I just noticed that no one really answered (including me) your post title “DVD+ or - : which has a better future”. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d have to say my bet edges towards DVD+R.

Media:
The media quality seems to be slightly higher overall if you look at all media types/manufacturers. I think this might have to do with the fact their are more garbage manufacturers of -R then +R. This isn’t the fault of the -R format per say, but it’s still something to consider.
Winner: DVD+R (just slightly)

Player compatibility:
DVD-R wins the overall compatibility picture, if your drive cannot bit set. As you see above some people even say that bit setting to DVD-ROM is better then DVD-R.
Winner: DVD-R if you cannot bit set, DVD+R if you can.

Drives:
Another point is that ODD (Optical Disc Drive) manufacturers either had an easier time of it and/or some nudging by the DVD+R alliance to produce burners capable of writing at 8x to DVD+R before DVD-R (there were batches of burners that could write 8x +R and only 4x -R). Whether a marketing ploy or a true indicator of problems with the -R format, it still makes me feel more confident in +R.
Winner: DVD+R

Looking to the future:
DL (dual layer) is going to be available in +R format first. I haven’t heard any word of when if at all -R will have a DL format.
Winner: DVD+R

These are just some of my observations and thoughts on the matter. I’m sure some -R lover will come along and say otherwise. :wink: