DVD Not Recognizing Blanks - Help Pls

vbimport

Hi All,

Pretty new here …

I have 2 HDD, 1 DVD ROM, and 1 DVD Burner.

I have read many arguements as to how these should be set up in terms of IDE usage.

I have it as follows:

IDE 1:

Master HDD with OS
Slave HDD

IDE 2:

Master DVD Burner
Slave DVD ROM

PROBLEM 1:

First off it shows that I have 4 DVD devices installed (4 drive letters[E, F, G, H) if I look in Explorer. In Device Manager it shows (in order); AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdROM Device, BENQ DVD DD DW1620, Generic DVD-ROM SCSI DVDRom Device, HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B.

I know my 2 devices are BENQ (burner) and HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B (LG DVD ROM). What the heck are these other two?

I have tried uninstalling all devices and re-installing. Windows automatically puts in the 2 unkown drives.

I have tried switching Master and Slave around.

I have tried mixing up the IDE assignments.

I have d/led and installed the latest firmware for my BENQ.

PROBLEM 2:

The second problem I have is that my burner frequently does not recognize blank DVDs. I am using BENQ DVD-R media. Seems logical to me that a BENQ burner ought to be compatible with BENQ media.

When I try to rip or copy a DVD I get errors or messages saying to insert blank media. No matter what I do it will not accept the blanks I put in.

Here is the kicker … If I restart my computer it will recognize the blank media and burn just fine (90% of the time).

Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I find it hard to believe that noone on these boards has a solution … much less at least some input into this problem.

Well, I am no help to you, but do have a very similar problem. My burners, laptop toshiba sd-r2412 cd-rw/dvd combo and my desktop nec nd 1300a dvd burner are having trouble recocnizing NEW cd-rw discs, I have tried three media brands now and no luck, funny thing is if I burn files to the disc and then bring it back to the burners in question the disc’s will work fine??? I also have the newly generated “ghost drives” installed, for my combo drive they show up as a cd drive and a dvd drive? I have also removed the drives in device mgr and also my primary and secondary ide and let windows install them. It seems that this happened after I installed alchohol 120% but I am not completely certain of that… The ghost drives were not always there.

Easy:
AXV is the VIRTUAL ALCOHOL DRIVE you’ve installed, the other one could be another VIRTUAL DRIVE installed by DAEMON TOOLS or other tools… You should know what software you’ve installed.

Your problem #2 relates to software issues IMO. So try to use other software (combinations) and see if that helps.

Thanks for the response, I still dont quite understand the virtual drive created by alchohol, but it appearantly doesn’t matter. I have the same problem burning these discs with nero, alchohol, and windows. I just tried to burn some small files to my remaining three junk discs, on another xp pro computer and they all failed, I guess it must be cheap media, I have a dvd identifier that I’ll try to read them with? they are branded memorex ultra speed cd-rw 24x.

The burning engine coming with windows will ony allow you to burn CD media, not DVD.
Wait, I thought the problems were with DVD media…? US-CD-RWs are another kind.

Here is a thread about US CD-RWs: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=124118&highlight=us+cd-rw

No, I jumped in on this thread since I have a similar problem as the origional poster is having with his dvd media. I am having trouble with CD-RW media, still…

Yup, the best thing would be to try with another brand of US CD-RWs if you really need that kind of discs.
Maybe you can try formatting the discs using dvdinfopro, and then burning your stuff onto them… trial and error game.

Ack I have been hijacked !!! LOL

Sorry everyone I did not mean to double post … was new here and was unsure which forum to put it in.

Please lock this thread, and respond only here (many more details provided):

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=143093