DVD not recognized but CDs are

vbimport

#1

My Matshita sr 8586 DVD/CD drive has worked fine for 3 years but now, I can’t get it to read DVDs. I can still read CD and CDRW but not DVD.

I uninstalled the device and let WinXP pro reinstall it. No change. I reinstalled the DVD decoder software (cineplayer 1.51) but no change.

When a DVD is inserted, the drive lights and then goes out, as if the drive is scanning the disk but cannot recognize what it is.
No error message is generated, but if you click explorer, it asks you to insert a disk inthe drive. When I swithced IDE ports, the problem was the same and the cmputer keeps trying to scan the disk (drive light goes on then off) but the computer acts like no disk is present.

I’ve tried diff DVD disks – no change

Pop in a CD and everything works fine.

Btw, DVD shows up in Win Media player, so the decoders are loaded.

I put the drive on a diff EIDE port and the problem was the same.

Any suggestions? I’d hate to buy a new drive just to find out a registry key needs to be corrected or something like that.

tia,
sh


#2

Does it also produce a high pitch sound , because if it does , you can forget about it , if not , I´ll give you a chance.


#3

Originally posted by donfrabrizio
Does it also produce a high pitch sound , because if it does , you can forget about it , if not , I´ll give you a chance.

Thakns for responding.

No, it doesn’t make a highpitched sound. And I’ve reloaded Cineplayer to be sure the DVD decoder is loaded and Media player shows the cineplay decoder as the one it uses.

When yo insert a DVD disk, the drive does a scan to see if the drawer closed with a disk in it and stops, then retries, then stops, repeat. . … If you click on Play, DVD in Media player, it looks for and complains that a disk needs to be inserted.

I suspect that the drive can’t get up to speed for DVD – that’s a higher speed than reg CDs, isn’t? Can’t think of what else it might be.

sh


#4

If you right click the drive in device manager, does it show DVD properties and region settings? If so its not a driver issue, and it seems to be picked up as a DVD by the O/S. I would also look for any possible Firmware updates. You can always try booting into safemode and deleting the ide channells to let XP reload them as well.


#5

This is like fishing up a needle in a haystack.

But try also installing the aspi friver if your running XP.You’ll never know.

here’s a link to a aspi driver:

http://download.com.com/3000-2098-10219041.html?tag=lst-0-1


#6

Originally posted by xtacydima
If you right click the drive in device manager, does it show DVD properties and region settings? If so its not a driver issue, and it seems to be picked up as a DVD by the O/S. I would also look for any possible Firmware updates. You can always try booting into safemode and deleting the ide channells to let XP reload them as well.

Thanks for responding. Yes it shows DVD properties and doesn’t appear to be a driver issue. I can’t find any firmware updates onthe Panasonic/matshita web pages for this drive, and it’s supposed to use the WinXP drivers, which is what I’m using.

I’ll try the IDE channels although I have an ATA133 card in the machine with 2 EIDE channels, which are in addition to the two onthe motherboard (motherboard is a Gateway version of the INtel Fedora motherboard). I’ve different IDE channels without improvement in the problem.

sh


#7

Originally posted by donfrabrizio
[B]This is like fishing up a needle in a haystack.

But try also installing the aspi friver if your running XP.You’ll never know.

here’s a link to a aspi driver:

http://download.com.com/3000-2098-10219041.html?tag=lst-0-1 [/B]

Tried it, but loading the ASPI driver made no diff. :frowning:

Doesn’t appear to the the IDEs either.

Gotta be the drive itself,right???


#8

Well, it turned out to be something simple. but something that no one guessed.

A 20-wire cable had inadvertently been connected.