DVD not readable... How to recover?

vbimport

Hi,
I already tried to use the forum search, but my browser didn’t display any results… dunno why :frowning:

I’ve just come back from Japan, where I lived for one year and took loads of photographs.
I burned all of them on several DVDs - but when I put them in my DVD drive back home, they weren’t readable at all…
My DVD drive as also two other devices didn’t display anything when I put my DVDs in.
Recovery programs showed that there IS data on the DVD but it seems as if the laser of the DVD burner was too weak!?
With the recovery programs we actually could recover some of my pictures, but most of them (and most of the DVDs) couldn’t be recovered properly.

Maybe I should buy a DVD drive with good reading ability, does anyone know a good one?
Or do have any other ideas for me to get my photos back?

Thanks in advance for your help!

greets,
Tokachiparkour

Maybe try with Isobuster.

Hi and Welcome!

Ouch! :eek:

Recovery programs showed that there IS data on the DVD but it seems as if the laser of the DVD burner was too weak!?
Poor media or heavily mistreated discs.

Maybe I should buy a DVD drive with good reading ability, does anyone know a good one?
Try Liteon or a Samsung DVDRW. Maybe there is a friend, who has one of those.

Michael

As Michael said, one of the latest Samsungs may help, mine reads discs that my other drives won’t touch. :slight_smile:

First of all, THANK YOU everyone for answering!

I already did… I could recover some of the pictures, but most of them weren’t readable at all or were recovered in mosaic-style, if you know what I’m saying… :frowning:

The discs weren’t mistreated at all… There’s no single scratch of any of the DVDs, I put them in a good cd-case, so…

I used some cheap TDK-DVDs…

So, another question:

[B]Would it be better, if I bought a DVD-drive with very good reading ability but without writing ability, or doesn’t it make any changes if I buy a normal DVD-burner?[/B]

And then, [B]which drive (name of company + product) do you recommend to me?[/B]

Again, thanks a lot for your answers!
Greets,
tokachiparkour

Samsung SH-S182D.

I’m waiting to have a disc that some of my burners cannot read just to try my Sammy S183L out on. I back my mother-in-laws discs up for her so i’m sure i will run into 1 sooner or later.

Hehe, I discovered my Sammy was a prize reader when my neighbour asked me to get the data off a DVD-R that none of his drives would read. My Litey 165P6S, BenQ 1640, or my LG E10N wouldn’t touch it. The Sammy was the last drive I tried, and hey presto…:slight_smile:

Thanks for your answers, I’ll inform myself more about the Sammy drive!

Does anyone have any other suggestions?