DVD no longer burns correctly (or something?)

vbimport

I’m a “newbie” when it comes to DVD burning. I just recently bought an LG 8x Slim Portable External DVD Rewriter. The thing is a beauty and it works really well. However, my problem is not with the hardware (at least I don’t think). My problem is this: I’ve been searching and experimenting with all sorts of programs to help me convert and burn to DVD (the programs that came with my burner were rather a pain to use for a beginner). The version of Nero wasn’t too good so I now have Nero 9 (the full version). I’ve used Nero in the past for CD and even occasionally VCD but never DVD burning. The program I’m currently using to convert my .avi (or whatever) to DVD is ConvertXtoDVD 3. It is a nice program. So I use ConvertX to convert and then burn the resulting .vob to DVD using Nero 9. So far so good, it has been working like a charm and I thought I was all in the clear, until two days ago. Suddenly every movie I was converting and burning wasn’t playing right on my standalone DVD player. When I went to play them the screen looked really strange. It was sort of black and white and like the bottom half of the screen was on the top part of the screen and the top part was on the bottom. There is a black line seperating the two halves about halfway through the screen and the image appears to be rolling upward but never straightens out. It kind of looks like those old school News Reels from back in the olden days of movie going experiences.
<br><br>
I checked to see if there was an error in converting the file but ConvertX showed that it completed successfully with no problems, same as for Nero so I don’t believe that could be an issue. I tried a couple of different things. I tried using different DVDs, different type of movie files (.avi, .mpeg, .wmv, etc.) and it still did it. I double checked the settings on ConvertX and everything was the same as it has always been, as was Nero. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and everything, but to no avail. I began to think that my burner was messed up so I used DVD Flick to burn the same video (not the converted result but the original copy) that I tried when it first started and when it finished converting it and burning, it worked just fine on the standalone DVD player. No problems whatsoever. <br><br>
Please keep in mind, I was using the exact same everything that I was before when it worked just fine but suddenly it started doing this and it did it to every file I tried converting/burning with these programs. I even tried system restore, and cleaned out the computer a bit and still no solution.<br><br>
Does anybody have any idea what went wrong and how I can fix it? I would appreciate any help/guidance on this issue. For now I can use DVD Flick, however it takes a lot longer to convert/burn then it did when I used ConvertXtoDVD 3/Nero 9 (almost twice as long truthfully). Thank you to anybody in advance for attempting to help someone like me. Hopefully it’s not something outrageously major and something I can fix real easy. Let me know what you all think should be done. THANKS!<br><br>Oh, one last thing, when I put the burned DVD (the one that didn’t work on the standalone) back into the computer it plays perfectly. And also, just so you know, the audio when I try to play on the standalone is excellent, nothing whatsoever is wrong with that it’s the video. Thanks again!

Where did the .avi file come from? If it was downloaded from a torrent site you never know what you will get. Try a regular DVD that you own and see if it works. If that works then we can troubleshoot from there. What type of media are you using? Are you compressing it? Are your setting in ConvertXtoDVD3 correct? There can be many reasons for this, Try playing the .avi from the HD first.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2148938]Where did the .avi file come from? If it was downloaded from a torrent site you never know what you will get. Try a regular DVD that you own and see if it works. If that works then we can troubleshoot from there. What type of media are you using? Are you compressing it? Are your setting in ConvertXtoDVD3 correct? There can be many reasons for this, Try playing the .avi from the HD first.[/QUOTE]
Okay here’s some info I guess. The .avi normally come from a torrent site, yes. Always works perfectly when playing on the hard drive and burning before so no problems there. As for media (well I suppose this is what you mean) I am usually using Windows Media Player or Divx player depending on the mood I am in. As for the DVD question I’m a little confused but I have ripped and burned a full DVD before and it worked and also the original copy and burned copy worked on standalone player. My settings in ConvertXtoDVD 3 have always been the same and I know they are the same now then they were when I burned them and they worked so not sure what’s going on there. As for compressing it, I’m not quite sure I understand 100% because like I stated I’m a “newbie” at DVD burning but not at a computer by any means. I don’t believe I am compressing the file but then again I don’t know if I need to be (and how to or what to compress and so on). I believe that answers all the questions you had let me know if that helps any. Thaks for replying!