DVD networking

Looked all over Forums, haven’t seen answer. I have a DVD player on my Desktop, and am networking with DSL to my Laptop. Is it possible to watch DVD movies on my laptop from the DVD drive on my Desktop?
I have tried to ‘share’ the drive, installed PowerDVD software on my laptop, but haven’t been able to watch movies.
Thanks for all the assistance!

I believe you have the Map the shared drive/dvdrom before you can play the DVD via another PC.

Yeah,I think the ‘Chicken’ hit it right. Or another way to access the screen on your laptop from your desktop would be to find some way to attach your laptop
in the same way you attached your monitor to your desktop,and that should work like a top!!! Confused? I know I am!
Seriously that should work if such an attachment is available. Good Luck… :wink:

Im pretty sure the device has to be physically attached to the pc you’re trying to play it on - otherwise the program cannot directly communicate with it and it wont look like a dvd drive.

Originally posted by MSRussell
Looked all over Forums, haven’t seen answer. I have a DVD player on my Desktop, and am networking with DSL to my Laptop. Is it possible to watch DVD movies on my laptop from the DVD drive on my Desktop?
I have tried to ‘share’ the drive, installed PowerDVD software on my laptop, but haven’t been able to watch movies.
Thanks for all the assistance!

AFAIK, PowerDVD will only work with a physical DVD ROM drive present in the machine it’s running on. It will not play a copy of a DVD from the hard drive, unless there’s some hack for it that I haven’t found yet, and a network drive essentially looks like a hard drive to the software. There may be some other DVD player software I haven’t seen yet that would allow this.

I believe you CAN switch PowerDVD to file mode, then make up a playlist of the individual VOB files, but this will cause a short break between VOBs, and if I remember right, the VOBs must first be decrypted or it will refuse to play them.

Another problem you’ll face is network bandwidth. Even over Ethernet in Windows, you’re not likely to get a fast enough transfer rate to play a DVD across the network, and DSL will almost certainly be too slow. Not sure what the average rate to play a movie is (though it would vary depending on whether the disc is single or dual layer and how long the movie is, since different video bitrates would be used), but 1X DVD data read/write is 1380KB/sec.