Dvd navigation disc

I have a new car with a dvd rom disc that it uses for navigation. for some reason DVD fab Platinum does not recognize the disc. I wanted to make a back up incase of issues…any idea why it does not work?

Actually it did create an ISO file, so I guess I am good to go right?..as far as backing up the disc. this file is quite large so I am assuming you must use a double layer disc…anyway…can someone just confirm I am on the right track with this dvd

should have explained that I had to use the “clone” feature since it was a data disc

No, you are not good to go. Most, if not all, car nav discs, use PTP (parallel track path) media, where the disc is written from the inside out on both layers. DL discs you can buy use OTP (opposite track path) where the media writes the first layer from the inside out and the second from the outside back in.

Satnav discs are picky as to where the data is on them. So, data on the 1st layer will be fine, but the minute you need to access the second layer, you’re stuffed.

Sadly, there is no PTP media on the market (that I know of) and therefore your project is doomed.

Regards

you may be able to compress using full disc?

if you select full disc mode and also select:
Copy DVD Video
Copy DVD-Audio
Copy Non-DVD Files
do not use navigation options

now i dont know if this will work but might try it.

edit// didnt see your post blutach, do you think this will work?

The data is not compressible. It is a data disc, not a movie file.

This is their way of protecting these discs and ensuring that people who want an update will buy them again at HUGE proces - I mean hundreds of dollars in some countries. It’s an outrage. The OP better make sure he treats the thig carefully. Personally, I prefer something like a TomTom (maps on SD card) or the navigator on mobile phones (built in maps - at least on my Nokia).

Regards

Can you spit into two discs so as to get to the point you are saying below

“data on the 1st layer will be fine, but the minute you need to access the second layer, you’re stuffed.”

I have the newest 2008 GM Nav DVD and I was able to successfully back it up. The GM part # is 25847541

[QUOTE=rhuisman;2120589]I have the newest 2008 GM Nav DVD and I was able to successfully back it up. The GM part # is 25847541[/QUOTE]

How, please?

I believe if it is not PTP then you can back it up. The issue is with the Orange disc that Acura/Honda uses. I have been searching these forums and people appear to be able to back up SOME discs and not others using the same processes