DVD movies won't play in PC

Hi All,

My first post on CD Freaks and it’s a plea for help. I have a couple of DVD movies that play fine on any stand alone DVD player, but won’t play at all on the PC. When I insert the disc, it’s simply not recognised. The disc spins, it tries to recognise it, but then just gives up. Result is the PC thinks there is no disc present. I have 3 PCs in the home, all have the same result. As I mentioned, these movies play fine in all standalone DVD players that I’ve tried. What can it be? I read on another forum something like some DVD movies have a code writen to the disc that prevents them from being read by PCs that have DVD copying software installed on them. Is this true? If so, how to get round it? I’m stumped. Any help appreciated!

This thread would probably be closed too.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=154641

Well, before its closed try power DVD!

It has been posted on here loads of times now - any device that has the DVD logo on it has to be able to play DVD-Video - no movie company can release a movie that can not play on a computer and call it a DVD movie.

The most likely reason is that the disc has manufacturing errors on it. A stand alone and a computer read the disc in a different way - even a disc with severe manufacturing errors may be able to be played in stand alone. If you don’t believe me do a search on these forums.

Even if the disc did contain something ‘nasty’ - using something like AnyDVD that stops autoplay would mean that the PC could read the disc.

Best thing to do is return the disc and ask for a replacement (although one forum member went through several replacements until he got one that worked on his PC)

Thanks for your advice. I have AnyDVD installed, plus many other similar apps. But so far, nothing can force the PC to actual recognise that there is a disc in the drive. Still the same case of it spinning for about a minute, then the PC gives up and thinks there’s no disc. Help!

That is your problem.

Many apps doesn’t mean anything will work better…