DVD Movies: ISO vs VOB for Network Media Streamer from a NAS

DVD Movies: ISO vs VOB for Network Media Streamer from a NAS

I typically convert / backup my DVDs to ISOs - Sometimes DVD5 and DVD9 onto my 1TB HDD.

Now some Network Media Players will play VOBs without an issue, some of the newer small brand like Popcorn hour will also play ISOs.

The motivation with having a single ISO was that they are easier to manage and if I ever want to BURN them to play in a normal DVD player at a location not at home then it would work.

The motivation with having them in VOBs is that some of the players only support VOBs and not ISOs (ala PS3). (Not sure about XBox 360)

The key question is are the VOBs (and relevant files) such that they can be dropped into Nero or similar burner and they would burn to a recordable DVD just like that and play normally in DVD Players.

i.e. Is VOB + Files in Folder <—> ISO conversion non-cryptic both ways? especially after original CSS crap / copy protection was taken care of when backing it up?

If it is then I can just RIP into VOBs from now on instead of ISOs and also extract existing ISOs into folders… IN CASE I BUY a player that supports ISOs and not VOBs.

(This is assuming ofcourse all DVD functionality remains intact)

There’s no difference accept of course that sticking with ISO would allow you to use ImgBurn instead of Nero bloatware. And why not boycott media players that can’t handle ISO? Maybe those manufacturers will get a clue sooner or later.

[QUOTE=crashnburn_in;2080766]

The key question is are the VOBs (and relevant files) such that they can be dropped into Nero or similar burner and they would burn to a recordable DVD just like that and play normally in DVD Players.

i.e. Is VOB + Files in Folder <—> ISO conversion non-cryptic both ways? especially after original CSS crap / copy protection was taken care of when backing it up?

If it is then I can just RIP into VOBs from now on instead of ISOs and also extract existing ISOs into folders… IN CASE I BUY a player that supports ISOs and not VOBs.

(This is assuming ofcourse all DVD functionality remains intact)[/QUOTE]

you can burn both iso and video_ts folder with imgburn. and the free dvdfab will rip the iso file to a video_ts folder.

imgburn.com
dvdfab.com/free.htm