DVD Movie Zones

Don’t know if this is a new thread or not.
Just joined as a newbie. I have DVD movies I bought in the UK and they are ‘Zone 2’ encoded. I didn’t realize they wouldn’t play here (ok, so I’m old right!). Now as I paid good money for them I’d like to watch them. I wondered if there was a program that could copy the DVD’s, burn a new one, and have them play on an NTSC TV here in Canada (‘Zone 1’ I believe) Hope this makes sense and there’s someone out ther to take pity on and poor old pensioner! :o)))
JimT
PS you can e-mail me at
panto@tnt21.com

If you would post the make and model of your DVD-player maybe we could dig up a region free hack for it. Or you could go look for it yourself, www.videohelp.com is a good place to start.
Many players are really easy to region free via the remote.

Welcome to the Forum.
Of course it makes sense, but first please check your standalone whether it can play PAL (manual).
Second: to make a region-free backup of your originals, you can use a number of software, I would suggest AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 (www.slysoft.com).

Hi and Thanks
Do you mean the one in my computer or the one I have under my TV?
Sounds like I’m an idiot right?
My dvd burner is an LG is all I know and the one in the living room is an Accura and I have a Windstar 1200
JimT

To make a backup with your computer’s LG use the software I have posted earlier.

(The DVD Players you have mentioned, I could not find on the videohelp.com site).

…combined with DVD Shrink (www.dvdshrink.org), to decrypt and recompress the original so it will fit on a DVD-R

(make sure AnyDVD is running first)

It is a possible altrnative to use DVDShink (with AnyDVD) to make a backup. Neverheless, if you use AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 to make a backup, there is no need for a combination with DVDShrink for the purposes mentioned in the cited post.