DVD movie stops playing

vbimport

I put the DVD movie into the DVD player and it plays until about half way through and then stops. In fast forward it goes straight through. This movie “The Covenant” plays on two computers and another TV in the house. We thought of lens cleaning or the DVD player is faulty but other DVD movies play on it no problem. Any thoughts on this one?:confused:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2523315]I put the DVD movie into the DVD player and it plays until about half way through and then stops. In fast forward it goes straight through. This movie “The Covenant” plays on two computers and another TV in the house. We thought of lens cleaning or the DVD player is faulty but other DVD movies play on it no problem. Any thoughts on this one?:confused:[/QUOTE]

hmmm…are we talking about the original disc or a backup copy ? it sounds like this problematic player is having a issue with the layer break which I have seen some DVDs where the layer break was not mastered correctly

StormJumper—

hmmm…are we talking about the original disc or a backup copy ? it sounds like this problematic player is having a issue with the layer break which I have seen some DVDs where the layer break was not mastered correctly

(1) its a copy on a TDK DVD-R 1-16xspeed 4.7gb.(2) Layer break? I see something in Img Burn settings (attached) but i wouldnt know what to do with it. I`ve been using DVD Shrink-Nero Smart Start-IMG Burn but mainly DVD Shrink.:slight_smile:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

StormJumper—

Does “layer break” refer to dual layer discs? The disc i used is not that but the DVD-R 4.7gb. :cool:

You don’t get layer breaks on single layer dvds. This particular disk may be a rather poor burn with a lot of errors in one section that is causing one player some problems. Some dvd players are just picky…poor readers.

Kerry56—

You don’t get layer breaks on single layer dvds. This particular disk may be a rather poor burn with a lot of errors in one section that is causing one player some problems. Some dvd players are just picky…poor readers.
Yes i thought that would be. The DVD player is an LG model V271, had it a short time. Just tried another movie on the same player, “Jessie James”, burned on the same type of disc "TDK 1-16xspeed 4.7gb and there is no problem.:cool:

Kerry56—

Im still having trouble with playing the burned discs on standalone dvd players.(Original discs play ok).:confused: They play on my computer ok, some go through with no problem but others play on the standalone player for a while and then stop. They wont go forward or back. My burner is an LG GH22ns50 and have upgraded the firmware. I go through DVD Fab free and then to DVD Shrink. Ive changed to Taiyo Yuden discs, bought a laser lens cleaner and put it through my computer and standalone dvd players. [B]I just noticed that when the movie stops it will not resume play or fast forward from where it stops, but if i rewind it back to the start and fast forward and pause (just before the stop part), and then fast forward, it will fast forward through the part where it stopped, but if i stop it, it wont go anywhere.:confused:[/B]

What speed are you burning the TY disks? If you have been burning at 16x, drop it down to 12x or 8x. I believe Arachne had to reduce speed down to 6x in one of her LG burners with TY media not too long ago, and those were Yuden 000T02 disks, which burn well in virtually anything.

Kerry56—

What speed are you burning the TY disks? If you have been burning at 16x, drop it down to 12x or 8x. I believe Arachne had to reduce speed down to 6x in one of her LG burners with TY media not too long ago, and those were Yuden 000T02 disks, which burn well in virtually anything.
My TY discs are 8x but my DVD Shrink is set to 4x. They burn well on my LG GH22ns50 and play well on it but???the LG v271 dvd/vcr standalone combine plays original discs and it stops on some burned discs.:rolleyes:

How much compression are you having to use in Shrink? This shouldn’t cause a complete stop in play, but extreme levels of compression with Shrink can cause problems sometimes. Normally it shows up as compression artifacts and blockiness.

I only have two things left to try and both are very long shots. First, increase burning speed to 6x if it is an option, 8x if not.

And second, try running the movie through FixVTS after decryption in DVDFab and just before compressing with Shrink. This step probably won’t do anything but it is one of the few things left I can think of to try. It is much more likely that you are looking at a problem in the player than a structural problem in the dvd-video itself. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FixVTS

Take one of the disks that stops playing and try it in a dvd player of a friend. See if it has problems in the same section of the movie.

Kerry56—

How much compression are you having to use in Shrink? This shouldn’t cause a complete stop in play, but extreme levels of compression with Shrink can cause problems sometimes. Normally it shows up as compression artifacts and blockiness.

I only have two things left to try and both are very long shots. First, increase burning speed to 6x if it is an option, 8x if not.

And second, try running the movie through FixVTS after decryption in DVDFab and just before compressing with Shrink. This step probably won’t do anything but it is one of the few things left I can think of to try. It is much more likely that you are looking at a problem in the player than a structural problem in the dvd-video itself. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FixVTS

Take one of the disks that stops playing and try it in a dvd player of a friend. See if it has problems in the same section of the movie.
Thank You-In my attachment it shows where i start. I dont use the compression. Ill try the different speed and try it in someone else`s player and have alook at FixVTS:)

TDK dvd media is known to be crappy media.

Make a new backup/copy on a reliable dvd media brand like Ricoh and Verbatim.

chef—

TDK dvd media is known to be crappy media.

Make a new backup/copy on a reliable dvd media brand like Ricoh and Verbatim.

I use Taiyo Yuden.:disagree:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2523471] (1) it`s a copy on a [B]TDK DVD-R[/B] 1-16xspeed 4.7gb.(2) Layer break? [/QUOTE]

Hm?

Chef—

Hm?
Taiyo Yuden is what i changed to.:rolleyes::frowning:

How are you burning these DVDs? You using DVDShrink with Nero combination or DVDShrink with ImgBurn combination? are either burn engine configured to start burning after the rip automatically or do you save the rip to computer and then import them to the burn program yourself? I use Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8x media and burn at 8x with no issues. I use the DVDShrink and Imgburn combination once in awhile and have not had that problem with any of the DVDs I made that way

The DVDs that will not play are they DVD-R or DVD+R media? Try DVD+R media and then set the DVD Drive to booktype to DVD-Rom to see if they play that way as that could be the problem since this is a new DVD Player you purchased recently and it just might not be able to play DVD-R media properly

[QUOTE=AGJ;2535850]How are you burning these DVDs? You using DVDShrink with Nero combination or DVDShrink with ImgBurn combination? are either burn engine configured to start burning after the rip automatically or do you save the rip to computer and then import them to the burn program yourself? I use Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8x media and burn at 8x with no issues. I use the DVDShrink and Imgburn combination once in awhile and have not had that problem with any of the DVDs I made that way

The DVDs that will not play are they DVD-R or DVD+R media? Try DVD+R media and then set the DVD Drive to booktype to DVD-Rom to see if they play that way as that could be the problem since this is a new DVD Player you purchased recently and it just might not be able to play DVD-R media properly[/QUOTE]Thank You for your concern. (1) I start with DVD Fab free and send files to New Folder-and disable any dvd as they request. (2) DVD Shrink, i select the first option as you see ticked in my first attachment and make a New folder (2) as in my second attachment. (3) Then when thats finished it asks for a disc to be inserted. (3) I have tried DVD Fab free>DVD Shrink>Img Burn. (4) The Taiyo Yuden im using are DVD-R but i have used TDK DVD+R at times. (5) As for your questions>“are either burn engine configured to start burning after the rip automatically” and “set the DVD drive for booktype”, i`m not sure where to do that. In DVD Shrink preferences “enable burning with Nero” is ticked:D

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2535323]How much compression are you having to use in Shrink? This shouldn’t cause a complete stop in play, but extreme levels of compression with Shrink can cause problems sometimes. Normally it shows up as compression artifacts and blockiness.

Take one of the disks that stops playing and try it in a dvd player of a friend. See if it has problems in the same section of the movie.[/QUOTE]Ok, i sent four of the discs that stop playing to a friend and he played them on his standalone player and he said they played alright. He also copied them through DVD Fab and DVD Shrink and the same result. So, it looks like the LG v271 DVD player doesnt like some of the burned Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs or theres something else to be sorted out. It`s difficult, but is there any other suugestions?:confused:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2535330]Kerry56— Thank You-In my attachment it shows where i start. I don`t use the compression. [/QUOTE]

deezalboy ,You are using compression , it’s just set to Automatic,
If you don’t want compression select 'No Compression" from the pulldown.
I don’t think that’s what you want but the movie won’t be compressed.
IMO the problem is using Nero for the autoburn . So uncheck the " Enable burning with Nero" in Preferences. Unfortunately you have to do this again anytime you reboot your computer.
If you really want to use autoburn the I would suggest using the DVDShrink version with ImgBurn as the burning engine.
A link for the download has been posted many times.
Myself I don’t autoburn with any software.
Since you have AnyDVD you might want to make this setting in ImgBurn:
Tools/Settings/ I/O tab / Interface / select ElbyCDIO - Elaborate Bytes .
In the Write window remember to set your Write speed.

[QUOTE=cholla;2535923]deezalboy ,You are using compression , it’s just set to Automatic,
If you don’t want compression select 'No Compression" from the pulldown.
I don’t think that’s what you want but the movie won’t be compressed.
IMO the problem is using Nero for the autoburn . So uncheck the " Enable burning with Nero" in Preferences. Unfortunately you have to do this again anytime you reboot your computer.
If you really want to use autoburn the I would suggest using the DVDShrink version with ImgBurn as the burning engine.
A link for the download has been posted many times.
Myself I don’t autoburn with any software.
Since you have AnyDVD you might want to make this setting in ImgBurn:
Tools/Settings/ I/O tab / Interface / select ElbyCDIO - Elaborate Bytes .
In the Write window remember to set your Write speed.[/QUOTE]Thank You, live and learn.(1) Compression-ill leave it as it is. (2) Autoburn-Are you saying "using Nero for Autoburn" is the reason the dvds stop in the standalone dvd player? (3) The rest im still thinking about. [B]Re. my post no. 18, my friend has now copied my discs, (which stopped on my standalone player and played on his), and he is sending them to me so i can test them on my standalone player. If they play ok it`s then pointing to my GH22ns50 burner i would think.[/B]:rolleyes: