Dvd movie backup not going well. Suggestions

OK! My burner is a Pioneer 111d (One of the better/best last time I check/purchased). I am having serious problems with backing up my Dvd movies to DVD+R DL media. Recently I’ve been trying to use Memorex DVD+R DL media which is id’d as Ritek media.

I burn at 2.4x while leaving the computer 100% alone while burning (I’ve seen huge errors introduced to discs when dinking around while burning (single core?))

Anyways, my latest backup was far from perfect (freezing and juttering in multiple places) on my Xbox. So I took out the 5 year Thomson drive, which I’ve been meaning to replace and put a brand SPANKING new Thomson drive I had purchased knowing my drive would wear. The freezing/skipping continued. I swapped over to my PS2 to try that laser. The skipping/freezing continued.

What am I doing wrong? Is it just the fact that Ritek DVD+R DL media isn’t good?

Would the fact that I’m running 4 IDE drives in my machine degrade my burning? (Burner is Master on 1st IDE channel then I’ve got Slave 1, Master 2, and Slave 2)

How do you guys backup your movies? If and when I can put it on a single layer Taiyo Yuden or in recent times Verbatim, I do. However if I can’t I’ve been trying these Memorex.

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

PS Is Taiyo Yuden THAT much better than Verbatim? I’ve been waffling between the two.

I’m going to go run some tests on my recent backups. I’ll post the results when I’m done.

EDIT:: I think I may have just answered my own question. Memorex/Ritek = Poop. I’ll try again with a Verbatim. I just hate using my precious precious Verbatim DVD+R DL’s. Guess theres just no getting around it.

Ritek DL is crapped media.

Verbatim DL should be choice #1.

How do you guys backup your movies? If and when I can put it on a single layer Taiyo Yuden or in recent times Verbatim, I do. However if I can’t I’ve been trying these Memorex.

Just thought i’d add that if you wan’t to back-up a dual layer film dvd, then try dvd shrink. This lets you ripp the film and compress it to the size of a normal dvd. I don’t like dual layer disks ( newer, less developed technology and all… ) so this is how I do it.
Google dvd shrink. It’s free and works well.

If you try DVDShrink, also use [B]ripit4me[/B]!!