DVD Media Life Expectancy - Some Information

vbimport

Thanks to frank1 over at cdrlabs for the site link.

Some PDF documents about the theory and testing methodology behind the NIST accelerated aging tests on DVD media. I found some useful information in these, I hope some people on here will too :slight_smile:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/gipwog/index.html

The PDF documents:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/gipwog/StabilityStudy.pdf
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/gipwog/Public%20SP%20500-263%20November%202005.pdf

Unfortunately, NIST have decided not to name the manufacturers of the media they are currently testing but maybe if you e-mail the people conducting the research, they will tell you :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Also a presentation by Imation on a possible upcoming certified projected average 50 year lifetime archival DVD.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/gipwog/Feb-2-06/Imation_Edwards.pdf

I want sample D2 :slight_smile: Seriously, this is to be followed, we might get some information on the manufacturers after all.
Another aspect: they said “most DVD-R discs tested are based on a stabilized Cyanine dye”, yet the cover of most Verbatims reads: “Advanced AZO+” ; and in the case of CDs, where they knew the dye type : “Discs using azo dye as the data layer had less stability in light exposure and temperature/humidity stress testing”, meaning they were the worst. So to your knowledge, is the AZO dye used in CDs closely related to what Verbatim now uses in DVDs ?

In my books if the testers are not willing to provide info to back up their claims (RIDICULOUS, unfounded, generalised, out of place) with the name of the media they are testing then I think their credibility went down the toilet.

Buying media nowadays is like buying a box o’chocolate. Ya never know hwot ya gonna get :smiley: By misfortune you may end up with a sh… crappy batch :smiley: that can last you 3 months (whopee! :D) and maybe next time you can end up with a batch that lasts you 5 years, 10 years, maybe 15 - :smiley:

These studies are already (at least) one year old. Was one of the first things I found while searching the Internet when looking for info about media stability, and it was of little interest because they don’t name the discs.

I can understand that they don’t name the discs for perhaps legal issues to save their arse and to avoid people accusing them of favouring a given media, but how the hell can readers know which is good which is bad, it doesn’t make sense to me.

Incase of cd-r’s I would like to say that TY cyanine and Mitsubishi azo disc’s have worked better for me as other compannies pthalocyanine disc’s (ritek,CMC,MBIL)
Keep in mind that is based on real life results for 1x to 32x media.
(40x and 48x are to new still !)
So far my score on TY azo disc’s and Mitsubishi disc’s going bad is 0.

Since when does TY make Azo discs?
Anyway, I have to fully agree with you, [B]dakhaas[/B], this time. Phthalocyanine is not what it used to be, it used to be rare and standing for Mitsui technology, but in recent days and years it has traded the place with cyanine. Now cyanine is no longer the el-cheapo dye with problems, but now phthalocyanine is the #1 dye for noob and low quality manufacturers.
Manufacturers which still dare to use Cyanine or Azo usually have at least some experience in this area. :iagree:

Am I the only one who thinks after reading it: What Imation 16x DVD+R is supposed to last 50 years ??
Because Imation has sold at least 2 and probably allready 3 (or even more) different 16x DVD+R’s !

To be exact Imation has at least used 4 different MID codes.
2 MBIL and 2 CMC.(CMC and PHILIPSC16)
From the 2 MBIL we know that these are based on 2 different dye formulations.

It also used TTH01 in Germany. I’ve picked up a Made in Luxembourg 25 pcs DVD-R cakeboxes once, but those are rare. Actually those are the only Imation discs which I really like…

FYI, they used TY for CD-R a long long time ago.

The TDK are -R and that’s TTH02 (16x -R) (TTH01 is 8x media ) . I was only talking about +R Imation. Yeah taking -R 16x media also into account there is even more variation.
Still the article suggest specifically +R 16x but in that case I allready have 4 different disc’s !

What media codes did they have?

It’s reasonable that they didn’t provide any brand names. Since the paper didn’t think the brand name is a factor, but the type of dye it’s testing is a factor on stability. And there might also be some not so good publicity for a brand that didn’t test well and they’re going to protest.

The NIST test was started in 2004, it is due to end sometime this year and hopefully results will be published soon. Some initial testing was done in 2004 which is mentioned in the StabilityStudy.pdf document but a more comprehensive test is currently being done.

[B]dakhaas:[/B] It is mentioned in the presentation (which was done in Febuary 2006). I havn’t seen anything about such discs so they don’t seem to be commercially available yet. As to who they are using to manufacture such media, until/if they become available we will not know :slight_smile:

Ready to test market 52X CD-R, 16X DVD+R compatible products from verified process and material set. These products are not currently commercially available.

Also, it would seem that such discs will primarily be sold to US government organizations.

I came across this Power Point presentation by the DCAj (Digital Contents Association of Japan). The test was started in 2003 and concluded late 2005 and does include some manufacturer details :clap: :smiley:

http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc23/SC23_p8_DCAj.ppt

They tested for tolerance to Heat, Humidity, Light & Corrosive gas so fairly comprehensive.

Wow, I thought the presentations I had made were bad :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like brand A and B, I think corresponds to TY(J) and Maxell(J), is the best, others not so good (including MCM(J)).

I’m not so sure about Maxell, though. I prefer MCC over Maxell.

I read that presentation twice yet I couldn’t find any indication that A and refer to TY and Maxell :slight_smile:
Anyway these studies are promissing; do you know of other similar ones, with bigger test batches and manufacturer identification if possible :slight_smile:

The presentation didn’t explicitly state that was the case :disagree: But I assume that’s the case :smiley:

It said E has a high PI error, I take a look at E manufacturer, and I go hm … it then said G and H also have high error rate, I take a look at G and H, and I go hm … the estimated life table also seems to corresponds what I expect from quality of manufacturers. The DVD-RAM table’s manufacturer country also seems to correspond …

Of course, I might be wrong :doh: