DVD Media and Drives questions

vbimport

Hi. Ok, so I’m a newbie when it comes to this stuff and I’m hoping you guys can help me with some question I had about DVDs and DVD burning! :slight_smile:

My first question is regarding DVD media, specifically verbatim DVD+R single layer. I have done some searching and there is so much information, sometimes confusing and I just want to make sure that I understood this correctly.

As I understand it, the MCC-004 isn’t always a “real” MCC, correct? It could actually be a CMC, Prodisc, or MBI, depending on where it was made, correct? So basically MCC could be:

1.) MCC (Made in Singapore)
2.) CMC (Made in Taiwan?)
3.) Prodisc (Made in ???)
4.) MBI (Made in India?)

Which is the best after the Singapore ones? I have some verbatims that I bought a while ago that are identified as MCC-004 in ImgBurn. Is there anyway to know which of the 4 it is by looking at the disc or spindle? (I threw away the outer cover without seeing where it was made in as at the time, I knew nothing about the different manufacturing plants)

My second question is regarding DVD drives and which one would be best for burning video DVDs. I have 4 burners on 1 desktop computer and 3 laptops that I can use:

• Info: SONY DVD RW DRU-V204A 1.60 (D:) (ATA) [Custom AMD Desktop]
  • Info: Slimtype DVD A DS8A5SH XAA2 (E:) (ATAPI) [Crappy Asus Laptop]
  • Info: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8D1 L.01 (D:) (SATA) [Brand New Samsung Laptop]
  • Info: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-U633A AC01 (D:) (ATAPI) [Acer Laptop w/ Busted Screen]

Of those four, which one would be best to do the burning?

Thank you for your time!

Verbatim “Life Series” DVDs with the CMC (China Magnetics Corporation) are made by Imation (Memorex, TDK, Magnavox, Philips, HP, and several other “brands”) that are inferior to genuine MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation) DVDs with the “AZO” labeling. MBI (Moser Baer India) DVDs are somewhat better than CMC media often regarded as “landfill.”

I’ve used CMC and MB media for duplication and distribution where the content is time sensitive but doesn’t need to be of archival quality.

My preferred media is JVC/Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R (labeled “For Professional Use”) in mastering and archival use with my Panasonic, Magnavox and Philips stand-alone HDD/DVD Recorders and DVD Recorders. I also use JVC/Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R and Verbatim 16x “AZO” labeled DVD-R for high quality duplication and computer work. Verbatim DataLifePlus DVDs are of similar quality to JVC/Taiyo Yuden DVDs, but are more expensive. I’ve also used JVC/Taiyo Yuden “Value Line” DVDs for duplication and computer work (these come from the factory as “seconds”).

In recent years I’ve done all my video editing with the above mentioned HDD/DVD Recorders. My daughter does her video editing on her computers. She uses the same DVD media. I usually keep more than 3,000 blank DVDs on hand at all times. (I go through around 200 blank DVDs per month.)

[QUOTE=VoxHumana;2682676]Verbatim “Life Series” DVDs with the CMC (China Magnetics Corporation) are made by Imation (Memorex, TDK, Magnavox, Philips, HP, and several other “brands”) that are inferior to genuine MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation) DVDs with the “AZO” labeling. MBI (Moser Baer India) DVDs are somewhat better than CMC media often regarded as “landfill.”
[/QUOTE]

Didn’t know what those letters stand for until now. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Bad guys used to dump dung into an enemy rancher’s wells to poison them. Now we have countries sending us landfill crap, and we pay for it! “Back… back… back… THERE! Dump 'er there!” I just wish every ‘manufacturer/labeler’ was forced to have a legitimate Office HQ in their country that were forced to accept all the old product into their executives’ wells.

Some kind of Brockovich rule…

We too use the JVC/TY Professional Archives for that purpose, but in North America, we’ve switched to the Falcon DVDs for everything. They’re priced competitively to the JVC/TYs but are more difficult to locate - we’ve found 3 on-line vendors and put bids into those for pallette sized purchases. We also find their surface quality is exceptional.