Dvd media and burners

vbimport

what is the difference among the different blank dvd formats. dvd-r, dvd+rw dvd+r etc. and do all dvd burners support the writing of all the formats?

Thanks.

Not a lot … .each company want their format to be the ONE… and NO they are not interchangeable :frowning:

sony annouced a combo writer for all dvd +/- R(W) types (not RAM!), but it will be released only by the end of this year (if they succeed in building one!).

Now, you only get drives that write

• DVD-R / DVD-RW
  • DVD-R / DVD-RAM
  • DVD+RW
  • DVD+R / DVD+RW

I think LG announced a drive DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD-RAM, but I’m not sure.

Note that DVD-R means DVD-R(G), not DVD-R(A)…

dvd-r will work in playstation 2
dvd+r won’t

dvd-r has 90% chance of playing in your home DVD player
dvd+r has 65% chance of playing…

I wonder which one to buy!!!

Pioneer DVR 104
DVD-r at 1x on non approved media (89p each)
DVD-r at 2x on approved media (£3.00 made by their pals)
readable on almost everything

and
DVD RW readable on nothing else (£1.99)

in USA change £=$

DVD+R’s are compatible with PS2’s
According to a compatability list posted on HP’s site at http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg41401.html
Results are from when Hewlett-Packard, Intellikey, and Philips conducted testing.

The media is still more expensive. I bought a 10 pack today for $39 plus shipping, but as everyone has been saying, that will change.

I now have an HP DVD200i and couldn’t be happier. According to many things I have read. DVD+R is MORE compatible that DVD-R due to its more compatible reflectivity.

I now have an HP DVD200i and couldn’t be happier. According to many things I have read. DVD+R is MORE compatible that DVD-R

Be careful with such information, don’t trust everyone. I just learn yesterday that the LG 16x DVD-ROM doesn’t read DVD-R made by Penmax…and the 12x won’t read Pioneer DVD-RW, but Verbatim media (both DVD-R and DVD-RW, which costs 1.5-2x as much as Penmax and 2-3x as much as Princo) don’t cause any trouble in either drive.

Appearently the only useful test is a test you do on your own, and compatibility is not only an issue of + or -, but also an issue of media and drive quality.