DVD Longevity?

maybe this has been discussed already but i might have missed it. everyone knows a pressed disc will last exceptionally long with minimal care, but what can you expect from a top quality burned disc, as far as archiving movies

There is a lot on this on Internet. Some say years, one to few, some say 100.
All agree that it really depend on how you take care of them as far as storage go.
If you leave it on the sun or on car dashboard in summer it will not last too long, other than that it is just a theory, these things were not around long enough.

[QUOTE=thomm;2057462]maybe this has been discussed already but i might have missed it. [/QUOTE]That’s the reason why there is a search fonction… :wink: Which returned me these results, among many more, with the term" longevity" in the thread title:

Is CD-R better than DVD+R for data quality and longevity? || DVD longevity || Need some advice on DVD quality longevity etc || DVD Media that have good longevity

[QUOTE=thomm;2057462]everyone knows a pressed disc will last exceptionally long with minimal care[/QUOTE]That is, until one discovers that theory is different than real-life, that marketing claims are often close to plain lies, and that lousy manufacturing causes early degradation to pressed discs, like many of the WB titles produced between 2002 and 2003. :rolleyes:

WB titles gone bad here, despite great care: The Shining, Clockwork Orange, Full metal Jacket, Blade Runner. :a:

I don’t trust pressed discs more than I trust very good burns on stable DVDR media like MCC 004 or YUDEN000T02, not anymore. :disagree: