Dvd longevity

vbimport

I copied the following from a web site…

DVDs are read by a laser, so they never wear out from being played since nothing touches the disc. Pressed discs (the kind that movies come on) will probably last longer than you will, anywhere from 50 to 300 years.

Expected longevity of dye-based DVD-R and DVD+R discs is anywhere from 20 to 250 years, about as long as CD-R discs. Some dye formulations (such as phthalocyanine and azo) are more stable and last longer, 100 years or more, compared to 20 or 30 years for less stable dyes.

The phase-change erasable formats (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW) have an expected lifetime of 25 to 100 years.

In all cases, longevity can be reduced by poor quality. Poor quality pressed DVDs may deteriorate within a few years, and cheap recordable DVDs may produce errors when recording or may become unreadable after a while. (See 1.24.)

For more info see Lifetime of KODAK CD-R Ultima Media and <www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/kuhn/otherformats/95x9.htm>.

For comparison, magnetic media (tapes and disks) last 10 to 30 years; high-quality, acid-neutral paper can last 100 years or longer; and archival-quality microfilm is projected to last 300 years or more. Note that computer storage media often becomes technically obsolete within 20 to 30 years, long before it physically deteriorates. In other words, before the media becomes unviable it may become difficult or impossible to find equipment that can read it.

I have a Phillips dvd recorder and want to use the best dvd media available…I know everyone has their own choice but it would be nice to see a survey on what people say is the best… With that in mind we then could choose from the survey…I posted my request on the newbee site and received a lot of great responses but no trend on a particular dvd media…any help would be greatly appreciated especially after listing my dvd media and was told that they were cheap dvd’s thus the dvd would deteriate very fast…I want to put my home movies on dvd…help…

The operative words here are: “nothing touches the disc”. So, if you take one backup and lock it in time capsule, and also not just not touching but also light, heat, moisture, chemicals, etc, etc, who knows. But if you need to use it? even once? what about many times?
Better take backups, multiple of them, and in 10 years you’ll need to transer them to yet another format, who knows if they’ll still make compatible readers 300 years from now;)

Buy good quality discs, don’t look for bargains get Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

Buy some Jewel Cases or DVD Cases for storage
Record the disc, wait a year and do it again. Then if one fails sometime in the future you will have one that is a whole year newer that you will be able use.

Store your discs in a cool, out of the sun place and your discs will be fine.

OK…got it now…thanks for the info…

you like Verbatim, take a look at this disk

Is that defects I see in the dye?

I’d say dusty disks before burn. Spots are unburnt shadows, not good.

Yeah the dust is actually still there, not very convincing… btw your burner need cleaning too now!

The dust is probably from his scanner … the defects might not be so bad, burn onto the disc and do a scan for us :stuck_out_tongue:

dicer judging by the difference in colour near the edge I would say the disc is already burnt. I agree does look like a dusty scanner to me, that remonds me I need to give mine a clean.

the disk was clean when burned, it’s been sitting on my desk for a while, after I chucked it across the room and jumped up and down on it a bit, so it got a bit dusty. Look at the size of the defects tho.

Where was the disk manufactured? Is it Verbatim DataLife or DataLife Plus? Could you scan the disk for PIs/POs?

Looking at the serial on the disc, it’s irrelevant if it was branded as Datalife or DatalifePlus, it’s MCC002. He probably just got a bad batch.

To things can cause this.
1 DUST on disc or in burner
2 Production error.

I have seen both things causeing this behaviour.

And if you got a bad batch of Verbatim please report it. People might think what’s it worth.
Well first If there are problems Verbatim likes to know so they can take actions.
Second Verbatim( Europe) most time is very generous when it comes to replaceing. If it’s a real error then you most times you get a lot more as just a replacement.

I suppose the “older” 4x (and under) certified dyes were in some way “harder” to the laser than the new 8x, 12x or 16x certified dyes.
The news ones have to be more sensitive to the laser (and the light) just because the laser has to burn while running over the sensitive layer in a shorter time than while a 1x burn …

So I have to ask: do 4x certified dyes have better conservation than 8x, 12x or 16x certified dyes ?