DVD layer gluing issue

vbimport

Hello! I’m new here, so please forgive any ignorant mistakes I may make. I was searching for a place to find answers, and this seemed like a very knowledgable group! I’m hoping that somone, or several someones, can reassure me on this.

So, I may or may not be having a huge problem with my DVD collection. I don’t know… I’m hoping this may all be a question of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing!

A while back, while burning some DVDs, I came across the information about testing a new disc by squeezing the hub… And that if you hear a clicking sound, then the layers haven’t been properly glued together or laminated and that the disc won’t last long.

Well, since then, I’ve started checking my commercially-made movies as well. And I’ve discovered that an awful lot of the ones I own (not if I squeeze the hub, but if I put my index finger through the hub and gently push up on the edge of the disc with my thumb) will make a very quiet clicking/popping sound… sometimes not even on all places, I often have to rotate the disc to find it. And when I do find it, I immediately assume the disc is bad and go try to return it and endure the hassle of trying to get a replacement!

So my question is this… Am I being insane? Is this tiny sound even the same issue I read about, and should I keep testing and replacing all my discs like this lest I should run the risk of them dying in ten years? Or am I being a completely obsessive nutbar who should just put the darn things away?

Can somebody please help me? This whole thing is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance,

Andy

P.S.-- Please tell me I’m not going to have to try to back up all the discs in my collection. I would have no idea how to go about it, and I think it would give me a nervous breakdown…