DVD labels software?

is there any software for making DVD labels?

If you want free software for making Lightscribe labels (requires special discs and burners with Lightscribe) look at this thread: http://club.myce.com/f3/free-lightscribe-software-217945/#.UHhlgaPQvYM

If you want a free program for making labels for your inkjet printer, take a look at this one: http://www.cddvdlabelmaker.com/ But most inkjet printers that can print directly on the disc come with their own software. You’ll need inkjet printable discs of course.

Memorex ExpressIt is a free product, too. This has a pretty good “distort” feature where a square photo can have its corners or side-points ‘dragged inward’ to fit inside a circular design. Everything looks like a RUBBER SOUL album cover.

And Surething 5 has a trial version that will work, too, plus it’s a good commercial product as well.

I just hope you’re not printing on glue-on labels. Those are bad BAD news.

[QUOTE=williams100000;2659095]is there any software for making DVD labels?[/QUOTE]

I use Acoustica Software now, http://www.acoustica.com/ . I have tried some of the Free Stuff, but for my needs this software works the best. I don’t put any stickers on the DVD’s, because it throws the balance off. I write the title on the Disc with a marker, then I use paper sleeves and put the sticker on the sleeve. For Blu-ray Back-ups I use the thin plastic cases, then print a square label on white Cover Stock Paper. :cool:

Also Nero Cover Designer seems to be a free application now.

I always strongly counsel against gluing on labels to optical disks. This IS from a voice of experience, too… as careful and tidy as I tried to be, ensuring the smoothest ‘fit’ possible, time alone can produce bubbles under the labels.

In addition, there’s a whole new thickness layer - even without bubbles! - that some players won’t handle. Remember the demise of VHS tapes - “They will all eventually get tangled and twisted.” Adding glue-on labels is doing the same thing - eventually, they WILL bubble up, eventually they WILL snag inside some device meant for very high-speed, very precise reading tracks. Glue-on labels provide the means to destroy that precision - and users are doing this voluntarily?!!

There are also cautions based on the Glue’s Chemistry vs. the PetroChemical Plastic’s Chemistry. And the dry-out process of the Glue, over time (where those bubbles of gases could be created from those chemical reactions and/or drying-out processes.)

Finally, the Expense issue. A Glue-On Label adds anywhere from 10-to-30 cents per disk. That’s more than TY inkjet printables cost when compared to the cheapest DVD blank plus the cheapest glue-on label.

Glue-on labels are not worth it in any regard - not for the expense and certainly not for the playing or read-back longevity. And if there’s no concern about longevity, then why burn at all?

I fully agree with Christine here. While it might still work for CDs, it most likely will cause errors on DVDs.

Way to go are printable media and a printer that supports them.

I print my images from Acoustica directly to the label, is that a no no?

If you’re printing directly to the disc that’s fine. If you’re using adhesive labels that you put on your discs later, then you take a high risk of damaging your data.

i purchase epson printers that has a tray to print on dvds I then purchased JVC Taiyo Yuden Premium Line dvds to print to. I never buy a epson printer until I check ebay or google to see if I can purchased refillable ink cart. that way it does not cost me much to print. Epson printers has the software with it to print on the dvds. The EPSON Artisan 50 Inkjet printer prints to dvds and cds and you can purchase the refillable ink on ebay

In North America, the Epson Artisan 7-8 series usually has a $99 model on sale somewhere, every couple of weeks.

This week, the Artisan 730 is $99 thru Amazon-Epson, but we see these 7-series or some of the older refurb 8-series at this price every few weeks. So there’s no hurry on it - they keep showing up at this price. Amazon, Fry’s, or Epson Store’s clearance or weekly specials over these.

As for printing on glue-on stick-on labels, don’t.

Along with the ‘chemistry’ issues of glue-vs-plastic, the ‘aging of glue and paper over time’ issues, and the ‘out of balance’ issues, there is the Player’s Ability to handle the additional fat layer of paper, glue and the eventual peeled-back corners.

Just remember - YOU don’t have to peel off the edges of a label - the Player will merrily do that for you. And by the time you discover this, it’s too late.

Just because a label hasn’t peeled back yet, they ALL will. And they’ll do it INSIDE the player. All it takes is the smallest touch to start that process, and that disk is spinning thousands of times during a Playback session.

You’ve hit the nail on the head with all of that Christine and these are exactly the reasons why stick on labels are a bad idea. :iagree:

What always surprises me though is the lack of printer models in the US that support direct to disc printing.

They’re relatively common here and even models that support it here don’t in the US. Like Canon printers for example where on disc printing is disabled in the US.

I reckon it must be a licensing issue but who knows.

[B]Wombler[/B]

For the life of me, I can’t figure out why USA has such limits. Some of the Canons have been easily modified to accept direct-disk printing, and while Canon and Epson have some kind of bedfellows relationship, I can’t believe HP hands that USA marketplace over solely to Epson.

The 3-year HP foray produced 3 good printers (the Deskjet 5160 and a couple of follow-on successors), but each of them were hamstrung with the perception that the “PhotoBlack” cartridge had to be swapped out during each print-job. (Why oh why HP can’t hire engineers to design an ink-tray and carriage wide enough to handle all cartridges, I’ll never know!)

HP did their best to NOT market these printers. We went to 2 conventions with HP personnel at consumer stands and they wouldn’t know about the DJ 5160’s direct-disk printing. And when HP’s local staffers were doing their quarterly visits to Best Buy’s, Office Max’s, etc, how many of them knew about this incredibly useful feature? Apparently very few, because the products weren’t selling. Nor were they marketed to sell-!

It’s quite disappointing because the infrequent-printing consumers NEED to have ink-cartridges with built-in printheads like HPs use. Those DJ-5160 units we still have run like champs - longer than the Epson 200-300’s that were purchased about the same time.

I wish Kodak would come out with their line-up using $5 ink cartridges!

The Photosmart 7560 is the last HP printer to have the ability to print directly to disc, that I know of. Great machine with 5 cartridges. It is true that it is not as user friendly as it could be-but it works very well overall for me. I tried to find a replacement and HP said specifically that they will no longer offer the feature. Reason-engineering and marketing issues.
I also gave up on the Avery stick-ons but keep a copy of the software for jewel boxes. The simplest answer is a fine point Sharpie that is disc compatible.

We have a dozen 7560s in the field, all humming away, enjoying a relatively low-cost ink cartridge, too. I thought these were perhaps the best of the HP lot.

If your unit has problems or difficulties, could you describe them? (I would visit our customers and see if they have similar issues and perhaps could alleviate those beforehand. I see that EBay has a used one with bidding in the $15 range currently - considering other units are listed in the near-$500 range, I might consider a used one as a parts-source but I am loathe to consider most other used printers.)

We’d push the $99 Artisans instead but our HP customers are still going strong with those - they’re infrequent printers (once a month? 5 disks a month?) and giving them an Epson or Canon would create far more headaches than anyone deserves.

ChristineBCW: The only issue we have had with the 7560 is with ink. Specifically Photo Black. HP uses that cartridge to enhance the basic black. They also use a fractional amount of Blue for this. Thus these 2 cartridges require replacement a bit more frequently than I prefer. The only fix is to print in basic black.
I would also strongly urge people to buy the high capacity (XL) ink cartridges as they are actually cheaper per page. HP and several retailers have deals almost monthly. I do not believe in using refills anymore, btw.
Final thought-make sure that the software for the printer (regardless of brand) is up to date. Drivers usually do not see changes at the end of life cycle, so that shuld not be an issue.