DVD Labels for Backed Up DVD's

vbimport

Goodday!!

Where can I find DVD’s Labels on the internet to copy/ download for DVD’s that I backed up. I want to download movie dvd labels to use on Nero CD Labelmaker??

Thank You!! :confused:

Here’s one to start with http://www.cdcovers.cc/

Hey
I have a question about these covers. I back all my DVD’s onto Ritek Printable DVD+R’s.

Please can somebody walk me through on how to use these covers fom the website provided by TimC on my discs? Thanks.

Note: I also have about 30 discs that are not printable-They are Traxdata DVD+R’s. Thanks.

Do you have a printer capable of printing on DVD’s (Epson r200, r300, or CANON.

If you own one of the Epson printers that can print onto CDs and DVDs, I can give you a complete step by step. Due to legal disputes over patents, the only printers that can be purchased in the US that can do this are Epsons (there are several models, but the most popular are the R200 and the R300).

Outisde the US, Canon makes several printers that can do this, as well.

I never recommend any kind of stick on label – I know a lot of people use them, but I also have read a lot of reports of problems later, often months later, when the DVD players begin to have problems playing DVDs with labels attached. In fact, a lot of people have later had to try to remove the stick on labels, to try to “salvage” them.

-Bruce

Can anybody link me to one of these printers in the UK? I searched on ebuyer and couldn’t find any

Ok, Found the epson r200 on ebuyer. It costs £55. Also found cartridges for £30 in packs of six.

Printer : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=9612479805&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58681&_LOC=UK

Cartridges:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=9612489948&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=87371

So after owning both of these, How would the actuall printing work? Would I have to purchase anything else? About how many DVD’s would I be able to print?

With the EPSON R200, you just put the dvd in a tray, insert it into the printer as per the instruction sheet (which comes with the printer), open up the epson print CD software, import your graphic image, resize it to fit the cd/dvd, and select PRINT. Let it dry a few minutes, and you are good to go. I do this all the time with my EPSON R300. It’s a piece of cake…

Ok, Is ink included with the printe? How long will it last, as in how many dvd;'s will i be able to print with 1 cartridge?

Usually when you buy the printer, the ink cartridges are included. I can’t tell you for sure how many you can print, as I print a mix of DVD’s, and photos, with my printer.

furgaan:

-Regarding whether you need to purchase anything in addition to the printer, and the ink:

No, except of course, you will want to make sure you are buying blank media which can be printed on with ink jet. (You will sometimes come across some that says “DVD thermal printable media,” and those will NOT work. They are intended for more expensive thermal printers.) I have bought Taiyo Yuden inkjet printable DVD-Rs, which suit my needs. You may also note that some blank DVDs that are printable only let you print to a certain point and then they leave the inner hub “blank.” Others let you print much closer to that middle hole, and they are usually advertised as “hub printable inkjet DVDs.” If you examine several different commerical DVDs, you will also notice a similar situation – some of them leave the middle part (the inner hub) blank, while you will find others that are printed with graphics in this area.

Because I prefer the kind which are printable on that inner hub area, this means I sometimes have to create an image for that inner hub, if this part was blank on the original DVD that I own. I do this in Photoshop. I do not mind this, but others might object to the extra time it requires. In fact, some of the best looking ones I have done were completely created by me, for DVDs that were simply a “blank shiny silver” original, except for the tiny title stamped close to that inner hub. On those DVDs, I prefer to find some graphics from the cover art, or insert, or even from poster art off of the web, and design my own. As I said, most might find this a pain in the rear, or not worth it.

If you want to see an example of one I just did, follow this link:

Click here to see a printed DVD. Then, use your “BACK” button to return.

I just quickie scanned this one, and I note it appears a bit “blurry.” The actual DVD does not have that “soft” quality. Note that I added the “DISC 1,” since I chose to split this one out to two DVDs. The other is identical, except it obviously says “Disc 2.”

-The most expensive part of the equation is actually the ink. This printer takes six separate cartridges, and in case you had not noticed, that is how printer manufacturers make their money. They will practically give away the printer, but the ink is their big money profit maker. There are methods to save some of that outrageous expense – you could experiment with trying one of the less expensive third part cartridges, or the “refurbished” cartridges. Or, you could experiment with re-filling the cartridges yourself. You have to be careful, and patient, and Epson will try to scare you off of this as much as they can.

In the United States (at least) a single one-time replacement of all six cartridges currently costs more than the cost of the printer. This printer can be purchased for 70.00 American dollars right now, and all six cartridges cost 90.00 American dollars. Ouch.

As to how long they will last, that depends. Will you also be printing other stuff on this printer? And, will you insist (as I do) on setting the print quality for the very highest quality of print (which naturally tends to use more ink)?

I am on my first set of cartridges. I have printed 22 discs. I just checked the levels of my cartridges, and it appears that they are all almost exactly 3/4 of the way full, according to the ink monitoring utility that comes with the printer. IF I go by that, I could get so lucky as to get close to 88 discs (I have not printed anything else on this printer).

BUT, that will probably not be the case. My experience with color inkjet printers shows that you usually start to see a noticable deterioration in the print quality long before they reach the very “bottom” of the actual cartridge. I guess i will be happy if I can get 60 or 65 discs, before I have to install a new set of all six cartridges.

Anyone else have numbers to share?

-Bruce

Quick question - do they make printable DVD’s that have a no-smear surface? The only ones I have had experience with (a bud did it) smeared when they got wet. Kinda like regular ink jet paper can. But usually stuff like Photo Paper doesn’t smear, so I was wondering if they had no-smear coats on these DVD’s and maybe CD’s.

Thanks,

BK

One more scan of a DVD I printed recently. This one was not created completely from scratch, as the original had graphics on it. However, it was altered quite a bit, with some logos added, and the disc numbering, as well.

Click here to see a second example of a printed DVD.

This one scanned a bit better, and it looks more nearly like the actual disc.

-Bruce

>>>do they make printable DVD’s that have a no-smear surface?<<<<

Actually, it sounds as if you are asking for a waterproof printing technology, and I do not know of any inkjet DVDs that are produced that attempt this in any way. I do not know of any AFFORDABLE means of making your inkjet prints water-proof. I guess that is something that I never had a serious concern with, as I tend to take care of my DVDs, and I would certainly never expose them to liquid substances of any sort. And, my kids were not allowed to handle them until they had been taught how to properly handle them.

You could also investigate the various methods of “spraying” DVDs, using one of the sealers that some are using. I would never take those risks, personally, but that may be the better alternative for you.

To be sure, the technology exists for waterproofing graphics on a DVD, but not at a cost you are liable to want to pay. I suspect that the sealing mentioned above or thermal printing may be your only real option, unless you wish to invest $375,000 to $500,000 and actually stamp them, as commercially produced discs are done.

-Bruce

Someone PM’d me and said they do have adhesive labels made of glossy material that is like photo-paper and doesn’t smear.

Guess if they had that pre-coated onto the DVD or CD’s themselves, that would be what I was referring to, in a not so clear way, it seems. :slight_smile:

Nice final print. How did you manage to avert overspray? Just very careful setting of the margins and making sure the print heads / nozzles are clean before printing each one?

Thanks,

BK

If you do some searches on this forum, you will find that myself and others have had no problems with smearing at all… I have DVD’s that are almost 1yr old and have been handled by my teenagers dozens of times, and they still look like new…

harley2ride:

>>>>>you will find that myself and others have had no problems with smearing at all… <<<

Note the precise wording of his comment, though: “The only ones I have had experience with (a bud did it) smeared when they got wet,” he wrote.

Thus, his smearing occurs after someone has added moisture to the equation, which can and does make a huge difference (if one is dealing with inkjet inks that tend to be water-soluble).

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Prime example was when we were all sittin’ around watching a DVD compilation of a movie series. Our drinks had ice in them and it was warm and the glasses had condensation. He got up to switch to the next disk, got the surface of the disk wet and it smeared noticeably. I suppose it could happen with sweaty fingers after some serious gaming sessions too. Or in your car when swapping music CD’s on a rainy day, stuff like that.

I use Patricia Nomick’s from Wal-Mart Arts and Crafts section to waterproof mine. I just snap the DVD into a jewel case and spray a light coat. No probs at all!!!